Home » Support » 3D Applications » converting existing MAX files?
Search Search  
converting existing MAX files? [message #51485] Tue, 17 July 2012 18:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar zero_hour  is currently offline zero_hour
Go to my shop
I have a sizable number of starship models (built using 3DS Max 2011 and earlier) that I would like to make available for 3D printing.

I've read the printing constraints and understand that it is far better to start with the 3D printing limitations in mind and build from there. Recreating all of the models from scratch is not a realistic option for me but before I give up on 3D printing, I wanted to ask if other have confronted and overcome this problem.

Are there any plugins, prodcedures, or advice that could make it feasible to turn a sloppy, highly detailed, starship model into something (probably far less detailed) that Shapeways could print?

Looking at a few of my models, the face count is high but within limits. It's the watertighness etc. that would cause problems as the ships are built out of a high number of intersecting shapes of various sorts. I imagine several are not watertight, and many probably have wierd normals (I use mirror a lot and that seems to flip normals just for fun Smile.

Like I said I assume it's not possible, but it would be really cool (and profitable!) to offer ship miniatures to go with my renderings and deckplans, soI figured I would ask.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Reducing number of shells
Next Topic:Sideways Blender Render?
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.