Home »  » Post Production Techniques » Shiny black strong & flexible with lacquer
Search Search  
Shiny black strong & flexible with lacquer [message #9828] Thu, 11 February 2010 05:06 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
In an attempt to get a more natural-looking beetle, I applied multiple coats of clear lacquer to my scarab model. Before and after:

index.php?t=getfile&id=2610&private=0

I used Rust-Oleum Clear Lacquer Spray. After 8 coats, the model is still not fully covered in a way that satisfies me. However, it still looks pretty decent; definitely more beetle-like than the untreated (matte) black strong & flexible print. I hope these results are useful to y'all. For my part, I may try hand-lacquering next time. If it weren't the dead of winter here, I might be more inclined to apply multiple coats in succession -- spray lacquering must be done outdoors unless you have a serious ventilation system.

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:How to clean a metal 3D printed object
Next Topic:Buffing out silver
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.