Home » Community » It arrived! » Metal puzzle cube
Search Search  
Metal puzzle cube [message #6991] Fri, 02 October 2009 07:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar richgain  is currently offline richgain
Go to my shop
I finally decided to take chance and try printing a puzzle cube in stainless steel. I chose the Seldom Seen Cube because it is one of the simpler ones and therefore offered more room for error. I decided not to modify the standard model but just send it straight to print as is.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1478&private=0

As you can see from the picture, the print came out really well with a lovely textured surface and a good weighty feel in the hand. The pieces almost fitted first time and with a little gentle filing down of one surface it was complete. As a puzzle, it's not perfect; the first two pieces fit a little too tightly and the final piece is a little bit too loose. I would be a little more hesitant to try printing one of my more complex designs in metal, especially as the interlocking, sliding movements require quite precise tolerances.

However, as a piece of art I am really pleased with it and will proudly be showing it off to my puzzle friends. I never cease to be amazed at just how incredible this technology is, and what a fantastic job Shapeways does, bringing it to us in such an affordable and easy-to-use way.

Rich Gain @ microcubology

• Attachment: metalcube.jpg
    (Size: 121.28KB, Downloaded 351 time(s))

"a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles"
Röyksopp - Remind Me

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:My first order: beltloop cardholder and square-wave ring pendant
Next Topic:Ok so it's not a Shapeways print, but it still "arrived"
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.