Home » Community » It arrived! » Metal puzzle cube
Search Search  
Metal puzzle cube [message #6991] Fri, 02 October 2009 07:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar richgain  is currently offline richgain
Go to my shop
I finally decided to take chance and try printing a puzzle cube in stainless steel. I chose the Seldom Seen Cube because it is one of the simpler ones and therefore offered more room for error. I decided not to modify the standard model but just send it straight to print as is.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1478&private=0

As you can see from the picture, the print came out really well with a lovely textured surface and a good weighty feel in the hand. The pieces almost fitted first time and with a little gentle filing down of one surface it was complete. As a puzzle, it's not perfect; the first two pieces fit a little too tightly and the final piece is a little bit too loose. I would be a little more hesitant to try printing one of my more complex designs in metal, especially as the interlocking, sliding movements require quite precise tolerances.

However, as a piece of art I am really pleased with it and will proudly be showing it off to my puzzle friends. I never cease to be amazed at just how incredible this technology is, and what a fantastic job Shapeways does, bringing it to us in such an affordable and easy-to-use way.

Rich Gain @ microcubology

• Attachment: metalcube.jpg
    (Size: 121.28KB, Downloaded 348 time(s))

"a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles"
Röyksopp - Remind Me

Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:My first order: beltloop cardholder and square-wave ring pendant
Next Topic:Ok so it's not a Shapeways print, but it still "arrived"
Goto Forum:
   Go