|Misc questions about the API [message #59613] Fri, 04 January 2013 14:43 UTC
I have a few miscellaneous questions regarding the Shapeways API, which I'm using to upload models from my mobile app.
- It appears when I upload my model from my app and visit the resulting model's page in Shapeways, the "description" property, "markup", etc. appear fine, but "tags" appears empty. The value I give in my request is the following comma-delimited list:
<tags>egg,easter,painting,magic 3d easter egg painter,subvs,subversus interactive,iphone,ipad</tags>
Is there anything more I need to do to get those tags to show up?
- In a related question, is there a way to specify the "categories", "shop section", or preview photo through the API? Will there be a way?
- Is there a recommended way to construct the URL given the model's ID? I've noticed sometimes the following format results in a "Redirect Loop":
The following format seems more reliable:
Is there a format we should adhere to that will be guaranteed to always work?
- Is it possible to ask submitModel to send its response after the model has been processed? Directing our users to a URL that says "Rendering Image..." in place of the preview image is confusing. Currently I just wait 30 seconds after receiving the model ID before directing them to the URL, but I was hoping there's a better way.
- What is the meaning of properties such as specular_color, shininess, opacity, translucency, etc on MaterialArray? I understand these concepts in the context of 3D computer graphics but with real-world objects and light sources, how can these properties affect appearance?
[Updated on: Sat, 05 January 2013 14:15 UTC]