Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Same STL model file, different 3D printed model?
Search Search  
icon4.gif  Same STL model file, different 3D printed model? [message #53745] Fri, 07 September 2012 17:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar __DF__  is currently offline __DF__
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Hello Shapeways,

I received today my Purple Strong & Flexible version of my Slim iPhone 4/4s bumper.
I am still using the Red Strong and Flexible version of the same model (which I had ordered some time ago) for my iPhone4, which fits my device really really well. I was very surprised when I realized that the size of the same 3D printed (Purple Strong & Flexible version) model differs. Specifically, its height is less than 1 mm taller. Here is a screenshot:

index.php?t=getfile&id=20270&private=0

Immediately, I put the model in the "Not For Sale" mode, then re-downloaded my STL file from my shop to re-measure it. What I found out after re-measuring the STL file, is that the dimensions are not changed since my upload. Here you can see a screenshot from my measuring in netfabb.

However, the 3D prints are different. See screenshot link below:
Red Strong and Flexible screenshot vs Purple Strong & Flexible screenshot

It might be a less than 1mm error, however, that makes the device float inside the bumper.
Do you know why this happened? In the meantime... people have ordered the bumper, are they going to have the same problem or its just me?
Any help on this will be welcome.

• Attachment: IMG_1919.jpg
    (Size: 274.14KB, Downloaded 282 time(s))

http://shpws.me/DWg

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic:Build orientation solution?
Next Topic:my shop doesn't show up
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.