Home » Community » It arrived! » First tests with a spanish brick game
Search Search  
First tests with a spanish brick game [message #13278] Sat, 29 May 2010 16:31 UTC
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
While Lego is known internationally, in Spain an alternate system existed some years ago: TENTE. Maybe someone knows TENTE because some models were also sold in Europe, America and Japan. But the original maker ceased operation in 1993 and the trademark was bought by another game maker that used the name for a Lego clone system and finally ended its production.

Nowadays auction sites and flea markets are the only source for collectors... well, some users have tried prototyping the original bricks. Recently I adapted the LDraw system to create virtual TENTE models and scenes; I just imported to this system all the pieces that other users have previously modeled with other tools (3D Studio, etc.). While these tools require 3D proficiency, LDraw ones are very easy to use. Also, those 3D experts and I have created new pieces (we call them "dark") that never existed in the original game. So the question was: is it possible to make TENTE pieces with 3D printing? Well, after seeing the 2x4 Brick of DonSolo the question was half answered.

I have used Strong&Flexible and Detail (White and Transparent). I also ordered Alumide for other piece, but it was cancelled because thin walls (1mm instead of the required 1.5). I don't know how DonSolo was able to get 2x4 Brick on alumide because I think some of his walls are also very thin. Confused

As DonSolo says about his brick, "the best material to use is Detail, it gives a nice snug fit. The Strong & Flexible materials are less precise and tend to work best stacked right on top of each other.". For the monoplane (image below), no problem with the precision, except the bottom part when connected to a stud, so S&F would be the perfect material because it allows several types of paint.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3716&private=0

Next piece is a 1x1 hinge, a "dark" piece because the original game offered a 1x2 hinge, not a 1x1. I discourage WS&F material (at the right) for this double and articulated piece because precision is crucial for a good rotation. Also the stud fits loosely and the bottom part is so tight that the piece doesn't fit entirely on other studs (the image doesn't show the gap on the opposite face). However, White Detail (at the left) offers the right precision and the piece fits well on others.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3717&private=0

This is a rounded 1x2 plate using WS&F (left) and Transparent Detail (right). As previously, WS&F lacks the necessary precision, while Detail has a good fit. The only problem with both Detail materials is its peeling off, maybe it's the residual gel. Also, I'm not sure about the right paint for this material.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3718&private=0

Last piece is a 1x1 plate on WS&F and same conclusion: the stud and the bottom part fit loosely on other pieces. Maybe after painting this material, the new layer could give a plastic/elastic surface that improves both cases: loose and tight ones.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3719&private=0

Finally all the studded pieces (bottom side) on an original 1x8 brick.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3720&private=0

[Updated on: Sat, 29 May 2010 16:33 UTC]

Read Message
Previous Topic:Rising Sun by OSKAR
Next Topic:Nice dino!
Goto Forum:
   Go

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.