Search Search  
Today's Messages (OFF)  | Unanswered Messages (ON)

Forum: Bug Reporting
 Topic: Image resizing
Image resizing [message #12090] Sun, 25 April 2010 12:04 UTC
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
I believe that Shapeways partially leaves photo resizing to the browser. This mostly works fine, but for my most recent model the picture is not treated nicely by IE (see attachment).
I just noticed it happens on most of my other photo's as well. They all look fine in Chrome but look mangled in IE.

I don't want to scare away people by showing them a mangled photo of my product so I fixed it by uploading a picture that was exactly the right size. Consequently, the zoom functionality is lost.

I would prefer to upload slightly oversize pictures and have Shapeways do the work. So, Shapeways, please resize our pictures properly!

Topic: Customer Service Team
Customer Service Team [message #11525] Wed, 07 April 2010 19:20 UTC
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
I just felt the need for a shoutout to the Customer Service Team at Shapeways, especially to Tyce van Alphen. She has been extremely helpful with my most recent order which was cancelled countless times due to reasons that no one could figure out until recently. It was a mess...But Tyce was very helpful and we finally figured out what was going wrong and I should be ordering again today.

Very Happy

Thanks Shapeways!

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
 Topic: 3D printing virus for STL file type
3D printing virus for STL file type [message #11313] Thu, 01 April 2010 11:13 UTC
avatar Schorhr  is currently offline Schorhr
Go to my shop
Too bad this "article" has no comments allowed.
Interesting idea.
Immagine a virus for food printer files: You wait for a nice, juicy burger, and recieve overcooked broccoly.
Very Happy
 Topic: Feedback~ :D
Feedback~ :D [message #11268] Wed, 31 March 2010 02:25 UTC
avatar akeno  is currently offline akeno
Go to all my models
Hihi

Here's some feedback that I wanted to give since being invited into the program (almost a year woot) that I think could make Shapeways better, I listed my stuff in order of somewhat importance but not necessity Razz

-Get Rid of the Voucher System Entirely
.I suggest nerfing the voucher system. It seems to be a headache and is easier just to give partial or full refunds back into customer's Paypal /or bank account if theres a problem. It becomes a hassle to follow with multiple partial refunds on some orders with vouchers even though there are records, its just easier to deposit and respend on the website then remembering voucher information.

.However, if the voucher system is insisted (I still am pretty firm on just a full refund), make the coupon section of the checkout be able to stack vouchers and discount % coupons that are sent with orders on business cards.. you can only do one or the other right now.

-Wall Thickness Script Update
.Two of my orders (just as an example) in the past have been cancelled by a overlooking mistake in the past when meeting the minimum wall thickness, both solid and hollow items, for just WSF, so I'm not exactly sure how this is calculated when the checker checks out the wall thickness in the upload script. Is there a way for the wall thickness checker from Shapeways to post the wall thickness it currently reads underneath the LxWxH dimensions in the model area? There could be Highest Thickness: and Smallest thickness: found areas. I'm still not clear how this works and if it works the way I think it does my models shouldn't have been second guessed since they were 1mm thick.

-Dedicated Wall Thickness / Problem Forsee'er For Ordered Models
.When a model is ordered sometimes the order gets cancelled on the 9th day out of the 10 day window that is given and is painful to wait 9 days just to find out that a thickness is not correct or hear feedback on a model that might give problems with fragile items such as sandstone when the production office finally gets to the model.

.Maybe a model checker for only models that have been ordered (and not just uploaded) with a check box on the item page that requires double checking for said material that could get a quick response. This would be more or so only for Sandstone and Color Sandstone because of the severe fragility.

-Live Chat "Agent" Feature via website or Skype
.More convenient then sending emails, sometimes its easier to actually talk live to someone either in typing or via voice instead of ping ponging emails back and forth. Communication can sometimes get jumbled in emails. It also is way more professional looking instead of just waiting on emails.

-Communication Improvement
.I know being from the US an average wait time response is around one day (for our hours) for service emails, and you're not guaranteed an average time frame response since it feels like all the departments contact each other through email (I've got alot of email responses with Fwd: etc, so just assuming here). There's a six hour gap between the east coast states and SW and assuming a 9-5 hour job.. so under that condition Shapeways closes at 11am EST/8am PST and opens at 3am for the States etc. It's hard getting the time frame right for email communication with work in the morning and having to wait till the next day because of the time difference. Chatting with a representative for 5-10 minutes before work seems easier.

-Forum Member Reputation
Some traditional forums have a "+Rep" feature where if a member gets enough +Reputation from the community itself, the moderators of the board usually reward them somehow. They are usually showing the helpfulness of the person or thread, and a number that says "Repped X amount of times" to show reliability etc. Maybe a 10% discount from Shapeways at a certain Rep once a month?

-Production Photography
.Someone mentioned this before, I really like this idea. It could also build a really great portfolio for your business and website Very Happy

-Be able to download your uploaded .zip file with VRML or .STL files with included texture maps.. etc.
This could be put on the actual model page under my designs with a link to redownload your mesh that you uploaded and that is stored on the Shapeways server. Computers die, so do electronics... and hard drives, so if any modifications needed to be made you have you fixed copy ready at hand for modification and ready to re upload. Also good if you work on multiple machines.

-Shapeways Live Member Chat Box
.Could be available to anyone over 10 forum posts (to prevent spam etc. Can easily be implemented with php and MySQL or javascript while linking forum member posts to it's availability Very Happy It'd be cool just to have a free for all discussion for those of us who live on these forums and might be able to help out easily live instead of bouncing through PM's.

-Home Page During Maintenance Time
.Should say " We'll be right back! " and not broken english, haha Laughing

-Invent a WSF 1000million dpi Color Printer, the CSF!
. I could keep dreaming, but hey. Very Happy

Oh PS - For any customers reading, Shapeways has an amazing customer service. Between Ms. Mar, Mr. Ralph, and Ms. Ty at the CS desk they go out of their way to go beyond your expectations and everything is amazing. Don't be afraid to ask them questions or have something changed via inquiry, it might take a while for a response due to where you are located but it's always a pleasure doing business with Shapeways and their team.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 March 2010 17:01 UTC]

Topic: A bug in item view.
A bug in item view. [message #11106] Thu, 25 March 2010 17:20 UTC
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
I was looking at a model today, and I noticed a link I hadn't seen before on the top right of the page. It said <<previous. Seeing the page I was on before was the home page of shapeways I was curious as to what this link would take me too. I clicked it, and it went to the first model I put up on shapeways. I hit it again, and it went to my second model I uploaded and a next>> button appeared. So I'm guessing the intended operation is to scroll through your items without having to hit back on the browser all the time. But I don't think it should have sent me to my models from someone elses.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
 Topic: Usability Suggestion
icon3.gif  Usability Suggestion [message #10830] Tue, 16 March 2010 18:10 UTC
avatar MechanicalSmile  is currently offline MechanicalSmile
Go to all my models
If you go to "YourscreennameAtTheTop" and then click one of your orders you get a full list of what you ordered, but the Items that were ordered have to be searched by hand if you want to look at them again.

So, please make products in "Orders" linking to their corresponding sites.

Thanks

Edit: Btw, I didn't found any option to make the "Real Name:" row in the profile (if you click on a members nickname) disappear.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 March 2010 18:13 UTC]

Topic: Model fragility (or lack thereof)
Model fragility (or lack thereof) [message #10711] Fri, 12 March 2010 22:27 UTC
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Most of the models I order are not fragile and are very tough. It used to be that my orders were shipped in small boxes which filled most of the box. This was fine and none of them ever broke.

My last few orders have come in much larger boxes, accompanied by an avalanche of styro peanuts. There is no need for this for my models, but I can see that for others it is necessary.

So perhaps a field could be added to each model about how fragile it is? If the entire order is "not fragile" a smaller box and fewer peanuts could be used?

Just trying to save a few peanuts.
 Topic: Latest Update
Latest Update [message #10643] Thu, 11 March 2010 18:40 UTC
Go to my shop
I work here
The latest update has my account bouncing off and on again. Every time I go to my designs or the home page, I'm logged off, go to forum and I'm on again. When I click on my designs it welcomes me back but I can't see my stuff.

Was thinking about this today as the update interrupted my catching up on forum happenings as I've been on vacation, but it would be nice to know when an update is going to happen so you're not half way through putting together an order and lose it because of an update.

michael@shapeways.com
 Topic: New notification
New notification [message #8525] Wed, 23 December 2009 21:53 UTC
avatar photosfromrob  is currently offline photosfromrob
Go to my shop
I just received an email notification that one of my designs had gone to production; I'm very impressed. It's such an improvement over the old system. The email and the PDF invoice is so much more professional and makes it easier to keep track. Good job
 Topic: repeated photos on homepage
repeated photos on homepage [message #8221] Thu, 10 December 2009 18:52 UTC
avatar dadrummond  is currently offline dadrummond
Go to my shop
Often, but not always, I see repeated photos in the Featured Shop Models section of the homepage. It's happened over months, with many different models. Feels like a cache problem (but it recurs) or a slight hiccup with the server.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2002&private=0

Thought I'd point it out in case it's a SW-side bug.

------------------
Elytra on Shapeways: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/elytra
 Topic: Site Translation
Site Translation [message #7782] Tue, 17 November 2009 11:23 UTC
avatar D_man  is currently offline D_man
Go to my shop
Hi all,

I know there was a topic where Joris asked what improvement we'd like for Shapeways but I couldn't find it back so I post a new one !

I'm frenchies and some of my customers asked for a french version of the site !

... ok french are not really good at foreign languages...

Anyway, what about having Shapeways in different languages ?

If needed, I'd be happy for french translation.

j.
 Topic: Design Printability Validation Service
Design Printability Validation Service [message #7724] Wed, 11 November 2009 15:29 UTC
avatar B1lancer  is currently offline B1lancer
Go to my shop
Quite a few models I produce I want myself so I am happy to buy the initial test print, however some I don't want and I end up printing a test model that I don't really want just to make sure the customer won't get the "Model too thin to print" error etc. Normally it's an error I can correct in a couple of mins.

What I'd like is a service which costs maybe $10-15 where your model is sent to the operators and they check to see if it will print and then send you a confirmation telling you the model will print without any problems or if problems are found how to rectify them followed by a re-check.

Kindest Regards, Jack

Topic: Problem with your View in 3D button on your website
Problem with your View in 3D button on your website [message #7675] Sun, 08 November 2009 22:43 UTC
avatar SpaceMonkey  is currently offline SpaceMonkey
Go to all my models
I have a problem with your View in 3D button on your website.

I’m running Windows and using Firefox.

When I was looking at peoples models and I click on the View in 3D button it use to work for me (in Firefox) but I got this window which pop up and recommended that it disabled something in Java to make it work better. It said:

Update deployment.properties?
For best robustness of OpenGL applets on Windows, we recommend disabling Java2D’s use of DirectDraw. This setting will affect all applets, but is unlikely to slow other applets down significantly. May we update you deployment.properties to turn off DirectDraw for applets? You can change this back later if necessary using the Java Control Panel, Java tab, under Java Applet Runtime Settings.

I agreed and it crashed my computer. Shocked

When it started up again I went to your website and tried to View in 3D button but all I got was just the original photo of the object (no spinning view of the model). Also it has disabled the ad blocking plugin in Firefox.

I tried using the View in 3D button in Explorer and it works fine. I get the same window poping up and asking me to disable stuff but I’m not going to agree to that.

I reinstalled Java, no luck.

I reinstalled Firefox and it works again now. Surprised
Problem the ad blocking is still broken.

Suggestions: If you come across this window do not agree to it.

Question: Why are you guys asking to disable something in Java? Are you aware of this problem?
 Topic: False shop 404 bug
False shop 404 bug [message #7242] Mon, 12 October 2009 17:16 UTC
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
I just noticed that the shop URL's do not work of they end with a forward slash.

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/puzzles works

but http://www.shapeways.com/shops/puzzles/ doesn't.

I rest my case.
 Topic: Double markup
Double markup [message #7094] Tue, 06 October 2009 07:26 UTC
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Hi all,

Here is another crazy suggestion of mine (I apologize in advance Very Happy ).
There are some cases where you need collaboration between 2 modelers (you know, the guys/girls creating the models): some are better into inventing structures or mechanisms, other are better into adding details or decorations.
For instance Mamélie needs Youknowwho4eva to make a blank dice and would like to add the dots by himself, or Randomblink would like a Photoshaper model from Shapeways to modify it.
Another example would be me asking for someone else to make decorations on the double-marble-pendant.
The problem is: how do you share revenues on this new object that is the result of the work of two modelers?
My suggestion would be to have the option to put 2 markups on one object.
In this way, each one of the modelers would get its own markup each time such an object is sold.
Of course, it is not so easy, since at least one of the guy has to share its model (its IP) with another so there is always a matter of trust. And there are also the technical issues.
But if it works, I think that the added value could be interesting.
Is it something feasable, and would it help the community?
Thanks,

Magic.
 Topic: JING for Support Issues
JING for Support Issues [message #6925] Wed, 30 September 2009 14:59 UTC
avatar randomblink  is currently offline randomblink
Go to my shop
I've seen ALOT of issues mentioned by other users, some issues I've run across myself. I've also watched people try to 'explain' a bug or irritation, and others try to 'walk someone through' how to resolve an issue. I believe I have found an easier way of taking care of these.

JING Project

This is a FREEWARE software app that allows you to EASILY take a screenshot, add annotations to it, and upload, email or IM an URL to it for sharing with others. It also has a video option for capturing up to 5 minutes of screen activity alongside voice-overs.

If Shapeways encouraged users to use it to snapshot their issues or video-shot them and post on the messageboard, it MIGHT make resolving some issues easier. The Shapeways team could even post their own snapshots and video walk throughs for explanations in their replies and their FAQs.

Just a thought...

[Updated on: Wed, 30 September 2009 15:00 UTC]

Welcome to Costco, I love you.
 Topic: White Glaze Feedback
White Glaze Feedback [message #6621] Thu, 17 September 2009 08:20 UTC
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
This is THE place to tell us what you think of White Glaze. shoot...
 Topic: problem under "my designs"
problem under "my designs" [message #6179] Sun, 30 August 2009 21:51 UTC
avatar raalst  is currently offline raalst
Go to my shop
Hi all,

I deleted a model of mine like I have done before, but now it stays
saying "preview unavailable" and when clicking on it it says : invalid model ID

can the webmaster have a quick look ?

<edit> next time I logged on the offending model was removed and the new model uploaded. so, no problem after all.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 August 2009 22:08 UTC]

Topic: Stampermaker Beta release
Stampermaker Beta release [message #4679] Fri, 29 May 2009 13:11 UTC
avatar pp  is currently offline pp
Go to all my models
Today we have launched our Stampmaker Creator.

http://www.shapeways.com/creator/stampmaker

index.php?t=getfile&id=782&private=0

Our goal with this creator is to inspirer and enable everybody to make their own personal stamps.

To ensure we can improve were required and develop what is needed I would appreciate it if you could leave your feedback right here.
Question can also be posted here or mailed to:

service[at]shapeways[dot]com

Cheers Peter Paul

[Updated on: Fri, 29 May 2009 13:48 UTC]

Topic: Contest notifacation
Contest notifacation [message #1663] Tue, 21 October 2008 13:16 UTC
avatar Dalhimar  is currently offline Dalhimar
Go to my shop
I am thinking that because some people do not check the blogs on a regular basis, that there should be some sort of banner on the front page that is linked to the current contest entries so more people will know about them and be able to vote.
I my self have just recently started looking at the blogs on a regular basis, and know how fast some entries go by.
Because of that, some people may not even know about current events on shapeways including contest, or promotional things such as the 66.6% discount that was availible last week. But most people did know about that, if not from the forums, blog or word of mouth, they could see the large banner that was on the front page everytime they got onto the site.
I dont know about how others feel about this but i myself would appreciate some sort of notifacation on the front page about events such as these. Be it a banner, or a info box(such as the hot topics), or maybe even and audio clip playing in the background =P(might annoy some).
 Topic: country of origin
country of origin [message #886] Thu, 14 August 2008 11:29 UTC
avatar janis  is currently offline janis
Go to all my models
it could be useful if the country of origin are being displayed in the forum.

if you have question/problems and can't write it in English maybe there is some one that have the same language you can ask him..
 Topic: View in 3D - error?
View in 3D - error? [message #878] Wed, 13 August 2008 19:29 UTC
avatar Christel  is currently offline Christel
Go to all my models
The "view in 3D" feature doesn't work for me anymore. The page just refreshes with the same image.
Is anyone else having this problem?
 Topic: Feature request- slight UI change
Feature request- slight UI change [message #753] Fri, 08 August 2008 15:22 UTC
avatar benstabler  is currently offline benstabler
Go to all my models
Hi,

On the 'comments' box on the 'model detail' page: the comments are paginated, however the page selector is below the 'write comment' box. Could it be moved above the 'write comment' box? This would make it a lot easier to see!

Thanks,
Ben Stabler
 Topic: something strange going on.. somethings wrong
something strange going on.. somethings wrong [message #745] Fri, 08 August 2008 12:09 UTC
avatar sid  is currently offline sid
Go to all my models
Hi,

I cannot access the forum with Opera anymore,
I'm redirected to the /login,
but without the actual login (see attached screenshot)!

I can access every other page, I can edit my details, add new models and so forth,
so I guess I'm logged in properly.

'sid

PS Next problem, new thread Wink

PPS Topic based on RunDMC - Ghosterbusters Rap

• Attachment: login.jpg
    (Size: 42.21KB, Downloaded 412 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 08 August 2008 12:25 UTC]

Topic: Populair 3D events?
Populair 3D events? [message #743] Fri, 08 August 2008 09:08 UTC
avatar jochem  is currently offline jochem
Go to all my models
I'm curious on which events you'd hope to meet the Shapeways team? This will be useful input for our travel planning Very Happy

Cheers,

Jochem
Forum: Official Announcements
 Topic: Update on Rejections: Now Offering PITA when you get a Permanent Rejection!
Update on Rejections: Now Offering PITA when you get a Permanent Rejection! [message #94543] Tue, 22 July 2014 18:34 UTC
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

Exciting news:

Ever since we started offering Print It Anyway, you've been telling is its a great way for you to learn from your models - even the rejected ones.

You've also been telling us you'd love to just print-it-anyway when you get a rejection on a normal order.

So today we're making it even easier for you to learn and experiment with rejected models. After a model becomes rejected, you will be able to purchase the rejected model through Print It Anyway via the "Upload & Buy" page. On that page, you will see a "Print It Anyway" button next to the rejected materials, allowing you to just PRINT IT ANYWAY!

YAY!!

Onwards and upwards, and this is why your feedback is important - because we listen to it!

Enjoy,
Natalia

[Updated on: Tue, 22 July 2014 18:35 UTC]

Shapeways Community Manager
 Topic: Shapeways Partners with Hasbro to Enable 3D Printing Fan Art with SuperFanArt
Shapeways Partners with Hasbro to Enable 3D Printing Fan Art with SuperFanArt [message #94505] Mon, 21 July 2014 20:49 UTC
Go to all my models
I work here
For the first time, a global brand will open up its intellectual property to fan designed products using Shapeways 3D printing. We are partnering with Hasbro to launch SuperFanArt enabling fans to 3D print and sell their own creations based on Hasbro owned content. SuperFanArt, which will debut at Comic-Con San Diego 2014, grants the passionate and talented Hasbro fan base from the Shapeways community a license to create exciting new art and product offerings. The first license is granted to a select number of 3D artists including:

Brandon Lee Johnson,
Paul Philbin,
Christophe Vidal,
Melinda Rose, and
Brian Harris to create artwork based on My Little Pony.

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2014/07/21/business/21Printing1/21Printing1-master675.jpg

We are thrilled to work with Hasbro to be the very first entertainment brand to open up their intellectual property to their dedicated fans to legally create tangible, 3D printed products. This partnership is perfectly aligned with our mission to enable the Shapeways creative community to make exactly what they want, for themselves, to share and sell to others.

For the initial launch at Comic-Con 2014, we will start with the incredibly popular My Little Pony series, to allow fans around the world to create and sell unique, 3D printed My Little Pony figurines. This will dramatically expand the range of products available from the few currently being mass produced by Hasbro, to potentially include the over 900 ponies identified and named by the fans. Many of these designs have been created by a passionate group of fans from the Brony community (for the uninitiated, a Brony is a Bro who likes Ponies so Bro + Pony - P = Brony.  Once we have filled our 3D printers with community designed ponies, we will continue to work with Hasbro and the Shapeways community to enable more Hasbro branded content to be created, 3D printed and sold.

This is a major step forward in realizing the creative potential of 3D printing, to make products on demand that might otherwise never make it into people's hands. Hasbro has been incredibly forward thinking and open minded, to realize that the existing unmet demand within their fan base can be satisfied with the help of those very same fans. We expect to see many more partnerships like this, to enable user generated content to be 3D printed based on existing intellectual property, with fair attribution and compensation for all parties involved. We've seen this model work successfully in the digital realm, and we're thrilled to be leading the charge in the physical.

Take a look at the SuperFanArtsite to learn more, and meet some of the Shapeways community members who are promoting their designs in partnership with Hasbro and Shapeways. Also check out the New York Times article for insight into why the Hasbro team approached Shapeways to be a partner to help them enter the world of 3D printing, thanks mainly to the Bronies in the Shapeways community.

A solid brohoof to all the bronies who helped make this happen!!

[Updated on: Mon, 21 July 2014 20:50 UTC]

Topic: Into Airplanes, Drones & Aerospace?
Into Airplanes, Drones & Aerospace? [message #94166] Thu, 17 July 2014 18:28 UTC
avatar SavIsSavvy  is currently offline SavIsSavvy
Go to my shop
I work here
We're heading to EAA's Airventure in Oshkosh, Wisconsin at the end of July and we want to invite you to join us!!

The Event is:
Monday, July 28th-Sunday, August 3rd

You Can Take Part By:
Email Savannah@Shapeways.com if you want to join us at our booth
Send your products to us here at HQ with information about your work and will share it in our booth!

More details on the blog. Feel free to comment or ask questions in either spot.

Happy Flying!

Savannah, your Shop Owner Coach/Global Community Manager
 Topic: Sneak Peek into new ways to design products on Shapeways: First To Try & Beta Products
Sneak Peek into new ways to design products on Shapeways: First To Try & Beta Products [message #94090] Wed, 16 July 2014 21:36 UTC
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

We're VERY excited to announce a new feature today, and I'll let our Product Manager Kate tell you all about it:

Here at Shapeways, we're changing how products are made and by whom. We have makers and designers from all over the world, some of whom are making their first product, and others who have been professional product designers for their whole lives. They're creating everything from jewelry to rocket ships, GoPro accessories to chess sets - anything is possible. No matter what they're making, though, we know how tough the creative process can be. Taking a great idea and making it real takes a lot of hard work and iteration before amazing products just "come to life".

With 3D printing, designers are not alone in the creative process. They don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get the form and function just right, and they don't have to wait to go to market until they've undergone extensive testing. With the support of their friends and fans, they can share their products with the world and get the feedback they need -- wherever they are in the product development process. We're committed to helping you create great products, by embracing iteration and encouraging your customers to actively participate in earlier stages of product development. Step one is setting the right expectations, and step two is opening up the conversation around products.

Today, we are excited to give you, our community, a sneak peek into two new ways to get support and feedback on early stage products that we'll release later this summer: Beta Products and First To Try. You can see all of the new tools on your model edit page today and preview what your products will look like when this is released to shoppers later in the summer.

First To Try

3D printing a model in every material finish you'd like to offer for sale can be quite expensive. We're working hard to reduce the barriers to entry and we don't ever want to make you 3D print a model in every finish yourself (unless you prefer to, and we know some of you do). However, because 3D printing is still new, some customers don't understand the risks subtleties involved with 3D printing and can be disappointed if their product doesn't turn out the way they were expecting. In the past you guys asked for things such as a "printed before" badge on products, but we've found that customers don't always understand the concept of printed before and what it means.

As a part of our efforts to increase transparency about the manufacturing process with designers and shoppers, we are going to show a "First To Try" label on any product that hasn't been printed before in that material, based on the Print Success Rate. This helps shoppers understand our level of confidence that we can successfully create the product that they want to buy.

Once you or your customers have successfully printed your product in each material you're offering for sale, the First To Try label won't apply any longer. There are a few ways to progress through First To Try:
You can enlist your friends, fans and community to buy your product and share a photo, which will be important for your long term product success
You can print the product in your preferred materials and ensure you meet the Print Success Rate before you launch your product
You can disable the materials that haven't been successfully printed before

Material Renders

We've heard you complain that the default grey render on the product page isn't very exciting and we agree. We're really excited to begin rolling out beautiful new renders that match the color and finish of all of our materials, so you can show a customer exactly what the product will look like. This will also help customers visualize what a product will look like even if it has never been printed before. We'll be labelling all new Material Renders so that shoppers don't get confused, but we think it's a lot better than the grey. Learn more here: Material Renders.

Beta Products

From our conversations with experienced designers, we understand that design is inherently a collaborative process. Big design houses and small enterprises all know that to get a great product involves iteration, testing, gathering feedback and collaboration.

We've actually already seen examples on Shapeways where designers and customers work together to tweak products and make them more personal. We want to make it easier for Shapeways Shop Owners to tap into this trend and develop deeper, ongoing connections with their customers.

Beta Products help to fuel this kind of collaboration. These are early stage products that are in active development and are being improved upon through product iteration. As a Shop Owner, you will be able to invite your friends, fans, and communities to support you in the product development process.

Another thing we've heard you ask for a lot is a way to communicate with your customers. By putting your product in Beta you will have a private comment stream do just that. We see a lot of this happening in comment streams today on Shapeways, but we wanted to provide a private place to encourage honest feedback. Elaborate on your goals, get feedback on how it fits, whether they like the design and keep your customers up to date on the progress of your product. We'll also be encouraging customers who buy a product in Beta to post their comments and share photos with you after they receive their product.

Your product page will prominently announce that your product is in Beta, and has space for you to tailor a specific message to your customers. Putting your product in Beta is totally optional - you can choose to make your product a Beta Product or to move it out of Beta at any time. While we think it will be helpful for newer designers, we understand that more experienced designers amongst you may already be doing this process yourself.

The Future of Product Development at Shapeways
With a process as new and rapidly-changing as 3D printing, expectation setting is critical. But we know there is no one-size-fits-all solution. We'll continue to build more tools to help you solicit support from the community and help them understand how the process works.

Learn more about Product Development at Shapeways, or jump into the tutorials on how to use First To Try, Material Renders & Beta Products in your shop today.

We're really excited about these new additions to our marketplace!

We would love for you to join the discussion over in the Shops Section to let us know what you think!

Natalia

[Updated on: Wed, 16 July 2014 21:38 UTC]

Topic: Announcing 3D Printing in Platinum, 18k Gold, 14k Rose Gold & 14k White Gold!
Announcing 3D Printing in Platinum, 18k Gold, 14k Rose Gold & 14k White Gold! [message #92746] Wed, 25 June 2014 23:38 UTC
Go to all my models
I work here
Today, Shapeways got a whole lot shinier! We're excited to launch a new suite of materials for our precious metals family. Introducing:
http://www.shapeways.com/blog/uploads/golds-blog.jpg
Platinum: This bright silver-white material is extensively hand-polished to a smooth sheen. A rare metal, Platinum is recognized as being the most precious of all precious metals. Jewelers often select this material for its durability while consumers love it for its luster.
18k Gold: Brighter and more vibrant than 14k Gold, it contains a higher percentage of gold.
14k Rose Gold: Its pinkish tint adds a touch of warmth and romance to any design.
14k White Gold: For a more subtle look, it resembles silver with just a hint of gold.

Like our 14k Gold, all of these metals are 3D printed in wax then cast. Therefore, they all share the same design rules, so it's easy for you jewelers to enable current designs in these new finishes.

Here at Shapeways, we're proud to support jewelers. We're one of the only 3D printing companies to widely offer these new precious metals to everyone, and, with our other jeweler-friendly materials such as 14k Gold, Sterling Silver, and Castable Wax, we now have the most options available for 3D printing jewelry!

Give them a try and let us know what you think!

Natalia

[Updated on: Wed, 25 June 2014 23:41 UTC]

Topic: Weekly Release Notes: June 11th: Faster Lead Times for Metals, Shop Owner tools, shopper help
Weekly Release Notes: June 11th: Faster Lead Times for Metals, Shop Owner tools, shopper help [message #91805] Thu, 12 June 2014 12:36 UTC
Go to all my models
I work here
Speedy release this week, featuring:

New MUCH faster lead times for Silver Family, the Steel Family, Gold Plated Brass and 14k Gold . Read all about it!
Check it out:
index.php?t=getfile&id=61761&private=0

Continuous Shop Owner improvements:
Faster load times for the shop inventory page (no more timeouts)
Resolved issues with sorting models on the shop inventory page. The order now saves!
Maker materials no longer appear in pricing tool

Shopper Help Menu
New Help menu on Shop toolbar so your customers can now access shopper-centric Help on any page on the Shop tab (like their order status)

Topic: Weekly Release Notes: June 4th: Maker Material WAX!!!! Shareable Wall Thickness Checks and MORE
Weekly Release Notes: June 4th: Maker Material WAX!!!! Shareable Wall Thickness Checks and MORE [message #91265] Wed, 04 June 2014 21:28 UTC
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey Guys,

I woke up today FULL OF BEANS because I couldn't WAIT to finally tell you about our newest Maker Material:

WE GOT WAX!!!!
For those of you that haven't been asking for it forever, read all about it here.
Get the wax of your models, and cast it into any metal you want yourself!
Max Bounding Box 75 × 75 × 50 mm
Lead Time: 10 days
Price: $10 startup, $8 per CC

Next up, another massive step in the War on Rejections:

Shareable Wall Thickness Checks: Share your Wall Thickness Visualization with the world
We want to empower you guys to help each other with your design challenges. Today we're taking our first step in this direction by letting you share your Wall Thickness Visualizations with other users.

You will now have a 'Share this view' box added to your Wall Thickness Visualization modal for a given material:
index.php?t=getfile&id=61106&private=0
When you share the link publicly,other users with the link will be able to see your 3D model in our x3dom viewer, but will not be able to see the model's base price or be able to update/fix the model:
index.php?t=getfile&id=61107&private=0
The 'Share' link has a private key associated with it that prevents users from guessing/accessing the link to another user's model that was not intentionally shared. Additionally, if you update your model by uploading a new version or running Wall Thickness Fixing, the private key will be invalidated. This prevents a 'public' link floating around after you have adjusted your model based on feedback.

Introducing Miniature Scale Models: Our Newest Product Category!
Shapeways is chock full of amazing miniature models: from bikes to trains, you can find a miniature scale model of just about anything! We've created a new category page to house this expansive collection of miniature products...and Aimee is continuing the discussion here about it!

Product Box: Designer Name Links to Profile
As a part of elevating our designers and ensuring that you remain the stars of the show, we've made a small change to the small product views across the site, making your designer's name a link that connects a shopper to your user profile. Check it out on the homepage - every designer name is clickable!

New Tutorial:
We have launched a new video tutorial for how to create 3D models from your drawings using our 2D to 3D creator tool.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 June 2014 11:12 UTC]

Topic: Weekly Release Notes: May 28th - A few small changes
Weekly Release Notes: May 28th - A few small changes [message #90677] Thu, 29 May 2014 14:10 UTC
Go to my shop
I work here
The Design tab now features a convenient "Get Started" menu offering quick access to our new audience-focused get started pages like Jewelry, Crowdfunding and Animators.
Before today, when someone commented on your model, we notified you via email, linking to the comment. Now, we'll also be including the actual comment text directly below in the email so that you can read right from your device

Bug fixes:
Issues with setting default material are resolved
Shop logo is now updating

Plus more back end stuff to make things run smoother

michael@shapeways.com
 Topic: Weekly Release Notes: May 21st - World Wide Gold! and more
Weekly Release Notes: May 21st - World Wide Gold! and more [message #90209] Thu, 22 May 2014 12:41 UTC
Go to my shop
I work here
Here's what came to you in this weeks update!

* Gold has gone Global! Anyone that we ship to can now order Gold!
(can be made a default material as well)
* New product category!
* Adding production, so we can be stronger, faster, better. Awesome Ay?
* We've reshuffled the shop tab categories.
* Some categories went away :-( but they just weren't used.
* New product samples added to the bottom of the materials pages!

That's about all the goodies for this week. Even more goodies next week? Stay tuned!

[Updated on: Wed, 04 June 2014 21:36 UTC] by Moderator

michael@shapeways.com
 Topic: Weekly Release Notes: April 9th - multiple rejection reasons andintegrated checking of models
Weekly Release Notes: April 9th - multiple rejection reasons andintegrated checking of models [message #87760] Fri, 11 April 2014 21:01 UTC
Go to all my models
I work here
This weeks release continues with our quest to improve the rejections experience:

-Not just one, but multiple rejection reasons - so we can provide the most thorough and exhaustive list of to provide helpful, quality information.
-Wall thickness visualization comes to integrated checking - this means our checkers see what you see, a step towards even bigger tools! So while we are building tools to help you, we are in tandem, building tools to help us (...help you) ;-)

Topic: Temporary Change in Ceramics Lead Time
Temporary Change in Ceramics Lead Time [message #87585] Wed, 09 April 2014 19:10 UTC
avatar SavIsSavvy  is currently offline SavIsSavvy
Go to my shop
I work here
Here at Shapeways, we do our best to deliver premium materials at the fastest possible lead time to as many countries as we can to serve our community across the globe. We do our best to deliver good news as often as we can, while holding honestly and transparency close to our core values.

Last November we announced a ceramics pricing change that made the vast majority of uploaded products in the material considerably cheaper. This empowered many of you to print more and experiment with ceramic products and the results have been stunning.

We track order trends very closely and have noticed that some of you have recently experienced late delivery of your products and we're committed to streamlining the process. While we optimize, please forgive us for a temporary extension of existing ceramic lead times to 18 days. As you also know, we check every model that you upload, and have been experiencing a backlog in model checking in ceramic as well. We hope to reduce this lead time soon and appreciate your understanding.

Be assured the product delivered to you will be of the same great Shapeways quality you have come to expect.We are working with our ceramics production partner to reduce this lead time soon and appreciate your understanding.

To discuss this, please join the thread here (this topic locked to help with organization): https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=875 83#msg_87583

Savannah, your Shop Owner Coach/Global Community Manager
 Topic: Weekly Release Notes: March 6th - Wall Thickness Fixing, Better Twitter and more feedback
Weekly Release Notes: March 6th - Wall Thickness Fixing, Better Twitter and more feedback [message #85915] Fri, 07 March 2014 03:56 UTC
Go to all my models
I work here
This week we're excited about:

* We're launching Wall Thickness Fixing - and you thought Wall Thickness Visualization was good! We'd love to hear your feedback in that thread!
* Better Twitter cards - so when you tweet a product, you get all the details like the model description and the price
* Improvements to Print it Anyway, as you give us your feedback, we can keep improving the process

Let us know what you think!

[Updated on: Fri, 07 March 2014 03:59 UTC]

Topic: Website Change Log 2014
Website Change Log 2014 [message #84412] Wed, 05 February 2014 21:32 UTC
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi all,

Here's a list of the most important website changes in one document for easier reference, updated with our weekly releases.
Best,
Natalia

July 21st
PITA now available on Permanent Rejections!!

July 16th
Beta Products and First-to-Try Launch: Read all about it here
Post your comments in the shops section here

July 9th Post your comments and read the details here
*Bulk Shop Edits via the CSV - now you can make bulk changes like select new materials and enable products for sale
*Faster Rejections Communication, following on from Project Caterpillar
*FUD got XL - increased bounding box to 284 x 184 x 203mm

July 2nd Post your comments and read the details here
*Show Model Print Success Rate on Model Edit page Brad tells you all about it here.
*Shops and Profiles now show your Twitter handle making it easy for everyone to connect online
*Hero Images on Materials Hub Page - calling out the newest additions to the materials family.

June 26th Post your comments and read all the details here
*USPS for the USA! We know you've been asking for CHOICE since we introduced UPS shipping, so finally, here it is!
If you're in the USA, you can now chose between UPS and USPS shipping for your orders.
We're now offering United States Postal Service First-Class for a flat rate of $4.99, with expected transit time of 1-3 business days. USPS also offers some unique benefits, including delivery to PO Boxes or to properties where entrance by private carriers is limited or prohibited.
*New Premium Metals
Platinum
18k Gold
14k Rose Gold
14k White Gold

*Designer for Hire gallery. A way to find designer for hire. If you want to apply, just fill out this form and we will add you to the list.
*Continuous Shop Owner Improvements: Sales Overview spreadsheet now features Model Version to give shop owners insight about which version of your model you've sold.

June 18th Post your comments and read all the details here
*Universal Upload Button, In response to a long standing request that makes it easier for power users to quickly upload model files from any page by clicking on "Design". Try it out! We've also improved the Error Message, so it tells you quickly what is wrong.
*Shop Inventory Fix: Shop Inventory's "Default" sorting order will now show numbered items first. You can now use this sort order as a preview of the shop order. To navigate to un-numbered products, you can go to the last page of products.
*New and Improved /Create Page to make it easier to get started with 3D Printing for newcomers
*Alumide gets a makeover and is renamed "Metallic Plastic"
* RAINBOW of COLOR: We added Green, Yellow and Orange this week to complete the Rainbow for Strong and Flexible Plastic
*BUG FIX: Emails from @aol.com and @yahoo.com were not getting through to our customer service team last week, so we've fixed this and we're back to responding to ALL emails!

June 11th Post your comments and read all the details here
*Faster Lead times for metals! WOO HOO
* Shop Owner Tool Improvements to shop inventory pages
*Shopper Help Menu to help your customers find their order status etc.

June 4th Post your comments and read all the details here
*CASTABLE WAX - New Maker Material! Read all about it here.
* Shareable Wall Thickness Checks - so you can get feedback on your models
*New "Scale Models" Category Page
*Designer Name links to your Profile
*New Tutorial about the 2D->3D Tool

May 28th Post your comments and read all the details here
*The Design tab now features a convenient "Get Started" menu
*Comments in the body of emails: Before today, when someone commented on your model, we notified you via email, linking to the comment. Now, we'll also be including the actual comment text directly below in the email so that you can read right there
*Bug fixes:
Issues with setting default material are resolved
Shop logo is now updating
Back end stuff to make things run smoother

May 21st Post your comments and read all the details here
* Gold has gone Global! Anyone that we ship to can now order Gold!
(can be made a default material as well)
* New product category!
* Adding production, so we can be stronger, faster, better. Awesome Ay?
* We've reshuffled the shop tab categories to make them more relevant
* New product samples added to the bottom of the materials pages!

May 14th Post your comments and read all the details here
*New Pricing Tool for Shop Owners! making it easier to price
*Shipped Before Flag (INTERNAL) Models that are of a model version in a material group that have been shipped before will now be identified by a shipped before flag in our internal tool- making it easier than ever to see what we've shipped before...and hopefully bring down those printed before rejections!
*We launched a contest: Prototype to Product together with Formlabs
*New Video Tutorial - Adapting your character or animation model for 3d printing

May 8th Post your comments and read all the details here
* TALK TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!! That's right, each "Yippee" email now contains a link to who bought your product!
* We now display Manual Checks and Rejection Reasons at Upload - no need to switch back and forth between your emails
* Google Sign-in - now you can also choose between your Shapeways username, Facebook and Google sign-in
* Improved FAQ's on the Contact Us page - to make it easier to get your most common questions answered
* New Landing Pages: Crowdfunding, Fashion Design and Product Design

April 30th Post your comments and read all the details here
* Visual Refresh - bringing your products to the forefront, and putting the focus on you
* Sell Tab - go straight to your Shops, right from the navigation bar
* Image Cropping - We'll adjust your image to the right size if it isn't right (dont worry, we wont stretch it!)
* Also, as a followup from last week, we added the designer's name next to the product title on every product page. :-)

April 23rd Post your comments here
* For our USA makers, and customers in the USA, we are thrilled to annouce our newest material: 14k GOLD!!
* Facebook Sign-in : that should make it easier for new users to join Shapeways and existing users to remember your password using your Facebook account
*Fresh new Product Page layout - We cleaned up the product image and material selector in order to provide a beautiful and clean space for your product to shine on it's own. So many shop owners take care to take beautiful photos, so we removed clutter to let the product photos and material selector shine. We are also adding a new "Designer Card" to give the designer and their contact info more real estate on the page. This layout is paving the way for an improved experience in managing your shops!
*Awesome Getting Started pages to help you get your specific project off the ground, with tips and tutorials for Rapid Prototyping, Animators and Jewelry
*New Tutorial on How to Make 3D Printed Earrings
*New look Easy Creator Apps Page
*Improved communication that accurately reflect our success rate of making a model (ie/ we can print this 86% successfully), which should help when you're preparing models for sale

Lots of great improvements this week, so let us know what you think!

April 9th Post your comments here
* Not just one, but multiple rejection reasons - so we can provide the most thorough and exhaustive list of to provide helpful, quality information.
* Wall thickness visualization comes to integrated checking - this means our checkers see what you see, a step towards even bigger tools!

April 2nd
* More tutorials - this time the first of a three part Ceramics tutorial
* Internal tool to better manage promo codes and discounts

March 26th
Product and Tech Summit in our New York office - no release, but a LOT of presentations, brainstorming and creative collaboration!

March 19th Post your comments here
* We have published the first of a slew of thorough, in-depth, tutorials aimed at educating 3D modelers to become better product designers
* Our 3D Design and Modeling Tools page has undergone a huge upgrade to include a wide variety of both free and commercial software
* As we run the Print It Anyway pilot, we want to make sure that this positive experience for our designers and what we learn from your PIA orders carries over to our regular Shapeways experience. To provide better context and information to our 3D Printing Engineers while checking models that were previously PIA we're exposing the PIA success rate. This is crucial part of having this process, we ultimately want to improve the regular ordering process!
* Continuous improvements in our manufacturing process to make sorting orders easier.

March 6th Post your comments here
* We're launching Wall Thickness Fixing - and you thought Wall Thickness Visualization was good!
* Better Twitter cards - so when you tweet a product, you get all the details like the model description and the price
* Improvements to Print it Anyway, as you give us your feedback, we can keep improving the process

February 26th Post your comments here
* We're piloting PRINT IT ANYWAY Yes, this is what you think it is. Read on and let us know what you think!
* Login and signup is improved across the site and on mobile phones
* A better way to track late orders in our manufacturing tool

February 19th Post your comments here
* Faster lead times for Raw and Polished Silver to the US and Canada.
* Beta Users: Exciting new feature on one of our recent tools!
* SEO improvements on the alt-text of model images, helping your models get found in google searches
* Internal production improvements to our manufacturing process

February 12th Post your comments here
* [b] MAYBE button in checking! In our ongoing effort to reduce rejections this button will mean a second person will take a look at your model before we decide to print it.
* [b] Two VERY exciting internal features that will be released to our Beta group likely next week. Once we're done with testing we can't wait to share this!!
* [b] A great new video tutorial for beginner 3d modelers
* [b] Part count on your model edit page

February 5th Post your comments here
* [b] Improved shopper rejections emails - now featuring the ability to contact your customer if they get a rejection!
* [b] We have made several incremental improvements (bug fixes) to model upload and edit pages
* [b] The website loads faster!

January 29th Post your comments here
* [b] New Materials Guidelines Pages
* [b] Improvements in the software that helps our 3DP Engineers with continuous checking calibration, which is a step towards more consistent rejections.

January 23rd Post your comments here
* [b] Estimated Delivery Dates for All Countries
* [b] Beta Users: Sneak Peek into Design updates
* [b] Fulfillment Continuous Improvements

January 15th Post your comments here
* [b] Photoshop and Shapeways integrate! Woo! Read all about it
* [b] Email preferences combined onto one account page in your profile - now its easier to manage your email address and preferences
* [b] Bug fixes to Wall thickness visualization, default image display and the "polished grey steel" as default bug

January 8th Post your comments here
* [b] Wall Thickness Check for ALL models read more about it and post your feedback here!
* [b] Model Edit Page improvement: photo vs. render, chose material rather than all selected by default, floating save button

[Updated on: Tue, 22 July 2014 18:36 UTC]

Topic: Weekly Release Notes: January 15th - Photoshop& Shapeways, bug fixes
Weekly Release Notes: January 15th - Photoshop& Shapeways, bug fixes [message #83291] Thu, 16 January 2014 16:04 UTC
Go to all my models
I work here
Today's big news is the Photoshop & Shapeways integration! Read all about how you can now easily add color to 3D models using photoshop!

Todays release also included some bug fixes:
Email preferences We consolidated all email actions onto the Email Preferences page so there is now one location for you to change your email address and update your email preferences. We also fixed a small bug on the opt-out page where the social media icons were not being displayed properly.
Wall Thickness Visualization fix - no longer "loading" on older models
Default image not showing up on shop - now fixed. Model default image shows correctly on My Model page now.
No longer showing Polished Grey Steel as default material for all model at My Model page. Default material are now displaying correct for model at My Model page.

[Updated on: Thu, 16 January 2014 17:22 UTC]

Topic: Weekly Release Notes: January 2nd - Maintenance and Beta Releases
Weekly Release Notes: January 2nd - Maintenance and Beta Releases [message #82467] Fri, 03 January 2014 02:26 UTC
Go to all my models
I work here
Happy New Year Shapies!

This weeks release brings another Beta Group feature that will soon be public and the last of our end-of-year cleanup works.

Stay tuned for next week!
Natalia

Pages (82): [ «    16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  31    »]

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.