Search Search  
Today's Messages (OFF)  | Unanswered Messages (ON)

Forum: Official Announcements
 Topic: Shapeways site update of September 2nd 2010
Shapeways site update of September 2nd 2010 [message #17193] Fri, 03 September 2010 09:53 UTC
avatar barrys  is currently offline barrys
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi all,

Yesterday we updated our site. We released the following features and bugfixes:

Download original uploaded file
Product owners can now download the original uploaded file and make this download available for other users.

Set product availability to "hidden"
With products set to hidden, products can't be found through the galleries and search options, but other people can still buy the product by means of the direct URL of the product. An extra random security key is added to the URL and the owner can see this URL in his product details page and can share it to the one he wants to sell his product.

Bankpayment order confirmation lightbox
An extra confirmation lightbox is added for bankpayment orders to prevent customers mistakely choosing bankpayment while they dont want to.

Add material info to Co-Creator info order
In the 'my to do' list for co-creator designers the material is added, so the designer can keep in mind the design rules for certain materials (think of wall-thickness).

Placeholder for images added to the galleries
A placeholder for images is added to the galleries to speed up the rendering of the page.

move "your model is being processed..." beneath thumb
The "your model is being processed..." box when you update your model is now placed directly under the thumb of your model.

Kind regards,
Barry
 Topic: Shapeways site update of August 30th 2010
Shapeways site update of August 30th 2010 [message #16926] Mon, 30 August 2010 09:16 UTC
avatar arno  is currently offline arno
Go to all my models
Hi All,

Today we had another release which introduces a nice new feature for you. We have done a major update to the material selection

With the growth of the number of materials, the dropdown to select in which material you'd want to order a product was not handy anymore. And, you cannot see the materials.

Hence we have made a new material selection. It has been moved from the right column to the main screen on the product details page. We have grouped the materials to types. For each material we show a picture and an explanation. When you select a material, the model price in that material is displayed.

We expect the new material selection to be a big improvement.

Along the way, we also did a bugfix for the displayed prices for creator models (eg lightpoem, ringpoem). The product details page listed the price without VAT. With this fix, when you are logged in, the price including VAT is displayed.

Kind regards, Arno van Rossum

PS: Due to the material selection change, we are updating the price cache (we calculate the price for each model in each material). This takes some server time, so today model uploads can take longer to process, sorry for the inconvenience
 Topic: Shapeways site update of August 19th 2010
Shapeways site update of August 19th 2010 [message #16390] Thu, 19 August 2010 08:21 UTC
Go to all my models
Hi All,

Just wanted to inform you of today's update which had some minor changes for you:

Putting your products in a specific order in your shop using the "edit my shop" page had some issues, especially for large shops (eg, Oskars Puzzles). We think it is under control now, sorry for the inconvenience.

And:
We noticed that the forum kept on sending mails as joris@shapeways where we had the configuration changed. Confusing.
We fixed that, so now the forum mails originate from service@shapeways.com

More next week Very Happy

Kind regards, Arno
 Topic: Shapeways site update of July 29th
Shapeways site update of July 29th [message #15401] Thu, 29 July 2010 07:42 UTC
Go to all my models
Hi all,

Today we had a minor release, with some fixes and improvements:

* We could not yet use the same subcategory name under different main categories. Now we can, so we can for each main category create eg a category for co-creators

* The site search results now shows the user avatar for results that are of type user.

* The product details page automatically gets meta tags for title, description and keywords, making your models better to find.

* From the order screen you can use the 'continue shopping' link to return to the product details. If you did that, the 'back to gallery' link on the product details page was broken, which is now fixed.

* The default sort in My Design gallery is now on model upload date

* Model owners can now see the model volume in the product details page

Earlier this week the following we already released a fix so that models which are for sale do not get the 'not for sale' marking when viewing them in the gallery, which happened for some models.

kind regards, Arno
 Topic: Site update July 22nd
Site update July 22nd [message #15131] Fri, 23 July 2010 16:12 UTC
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Hi all,

Yesterday we updated our site. We released the following features and bugfixes:

Model details received an update
The model details page is now converted to a product details page. We feel this better reflects on what the page is about.

Product description edit box has moved from right column to main page
This way the product description is much easier to edit and format. There is more room and the position is the same as for your customers.

Tweet about your order
When you place an order with us you can tell the world about the wonderful things you bought with us. Totally voluntary of course. Very Happy
Available on the order confirmation page.

Easier selection of payment method when you order
The payment options were a bit hidden inside the order review page. It is now much easier to spot that you can choose and what the options are.

Opt-in for manual model fixing
Failed uploads of 3D models were automatically added to the manual model fixing queue. This is now an opt-in option which you can select on the model upload page.

Removed "Enlarge" button from product details page

We also fixed the following issues:
* saving product categories sometimes failed when the max. number of categories were selected
* site search (right top corner) failed when you used quotes ""
* Hanging blue overlay in category box in FF 3.6.6
* Deleted models were not removed from the search index

Best,

Robert

[Updated on: Thu, 29 July 2010 07:33 UTC] by Moderator

Topic: Shapeways site update of July 14th 2010
Shapeways site update of July 14th 2010 [message #14731] Wed, 14 July 2010 16:06 UTC
Go to all my models
Hi All,

This week we have done our site-update on Wednesday. We have the following features and improvements:

* Youtube video

Robert already hinted to this feature after the previous update and it is finally here:
From now on you have the ability to add a youtube link to the model details. The video will be embedded on the model detail page.
In the galleries you can easily see which products have a youtube video as they have a little 'play' icon over the thumbnail.

* Product search improvement
We have improved the results of the product search. More relevant products will be shown higher in the search results.

* Layout issues subcategories
Some layout issues for the subcategories have now been fixed.

Kind regards, Arno
 Topic: Upcoming Website Update: New Volume Calculation
icon4.gif  Upcoming Website Update: New Volume Calculation [message #14708] Tue, 13 July 2010 19:06 UTC
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
We're about to change some calculations in our 3D upload and pricing software. As it may impact the pricing of your objects, it's important that you spare a few minutes to read this article.

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/515-Website-Update-Ne w-Volume-Calculation.html

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
 Topic: Shapeways site update of June 17th 2010
Shapeways site update of June 17th 2010 [message #13755] Thu, 17 June 2010 09:48 UTC
Go to all my models
Hi All,

Today we've done a minor update of our site.

* For our non-metric users we have added the bounding box size at the models detail page in inches. (you can select between inches and centimeters, you choice will be saved in a cookie).

* Updated the layout of the tooltips (as announced with the May 27th release)

* The ShareThis code had a little update to show the icons directly instead of alternating (easier for the eye Wink )

* Fixed a bug in the removal of products from categories. Sometimes the product stayed visible in a category, even when the category was removed from the product (caching issue)

Kind regards, Arno

• Attachment: inch.jpg
    (Size: 14.67KB, Downloaded 125 time(s))

[Updated on: Thu, 17 June 2010 09:53 UTC]

Topic: Site update - Euro currency support
Site update - Euro currency support [message #12389] Sun, 02 May 2010 16:32 UTC
Go to all my models
Hi all,

last week we had a major update of our site. I already mentioned this briefly in the server migration thread but it deserves it's own thread ...

We introduced Euro currency support on our site. This is fulfilling a big wish of our European customers.

In your checkout where the Shapeways order summary is shown, you can now choose between:

• Paypal Dollars
  • Paypal Euros
  • Bank transfer

making it possible to go to Paypal and pay with Euros. For bank transfer you can choose yourself to transfer Dollars or Euros.

Accompanying this feature, we list all model prices in both Dollars and Euros, and in your shopping cart the totals are displayed in Euros too.

I am sure you'll appreciate this feature (at least, all in the Euro zone)

Also we did some smaller changes/fixes to the site:

• hide comment page numbering on model details when there is only 1 page of comments - the 1 at the bottom looked a bit silly in case there were not much comments
  • social bookmarking / tagging - For all models and shops there is now be a social sharing widget that allows you to easily and quickly share the model or shop with various social websites
  • updated the forum icon/lightbolt "new content" to have more contrast
  • when visiting the design overview page of a non-shopowner, it had 'my designs' as title instead of <name>'s designs, we fixed that.

Kind regards, Arno van Rossum

Topic: Site update - Gallery component updated
Site update - Gallery component updated [message #11343] Thu, 01 April 2010 20:31 UTC
Go to all my models
Hi All,

Today we have had another site update. The most noticeable for you is that we updated the gallery component.
We have made it more uniform so that all galleries look the same. You can notice this eg on the home page where the displayed models now show prices and small icons (the shopping cart when the model is for sale, the wrench when it is a co-creator template).

The new galleries meant re-indexing the models. As you have already uploaded so many models, this took a while.

Other minor changes are:
- The tickbox for e-mail preferences on profile wasn't working correctly, this has now been corrected.
- Community has a new sub menu: contests (and yes, we noticed that you don't see that option yet when on the forum Sad sorry, working on that to get it fixed asap)

Kind regards, Arno
 Topic: New Christmas page and more
New Christmas page and more [message #2068] Sat, 22 November 2008 15:59 UTC
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
With some pride we announce our Christmas page!

In case you missed it, go here to visit our Christmas page.

A lot of cool ideas, models and the contest for the holiday season.
So check it out for some really nice things to have or give away.

Hope you all like it.

Peter
 Topic: Top ten finalists of the SIGGRAPH Design Challenge!
Top ten finalists of the SIGGRAPH Design Challenge! [message #837] Mon, 11 August 2008 20:31 UTC
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Hello everyone, check out the top ten finalists of our SIGGRAPH Design Challenge

Vote for the winner here!
 Topic: New Video: From Screen to Reality
New Video: From Screen to Reality [message #200] Fri, 18 April 2008 07:57 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

I just posted a new video on our blog which shows our entire production process.

Enjoy!

Bart

Topic: New information on our printing process
New information on our printing process [message #161] Wed, 05 March 2008 12:44 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
We have compiled two documents to give you some background information on our printing process. The first, 'What is 3D printing?' explains the basics of Rapid Manufacturing and gives some useful links to external resources on the topic.

The second, 'Production Method - FDM', describes the printing process that is currently in use by us, shows some product samples and lists the properties of FDM models.

I hope you'll find it useful!

Cheers,

Bart

[Updated on: Wed, 05 March 2008 16:55 UTC]

Topic: New tutorial: Exporting from Blender
New tutorial: Exporting from Blender [message #142] Wed, 20 February 2008 15:22 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
We just posted a new tutorial: Exporting From Blender.

If you have any questions or comments about it, please reply to this post.

Cheers,

Bart

Forum: 3D Design
 Topic: Alternatives to classic Marching Cubes
Alternatives to classic Marching Cubes [message #113805] Tue, 14 April 2015 16:36 UTC
avatar shawn_halayka is currently online shawn_halayka
Go to my shop
What isosurface algorithm do you use? I'm using classic Marching Cubes, but I'd like to try any other algorithm that you may suggest.

Thanks.
 Topic: Repair tools and 3D Printing
Repair tools and 3D Printing [message #113654] Sat, 11 April 2015 07:12 UTC
avatar unkerjay  is currently offline unkerjay
Go to all my models
The Experience is not mine and doesn't involve Shapeways.

It is from a user who purchased their own 3D printer.

The tools are those, some of which are often mentioned here,
like, Meshlab. Others which aren't which might be useful to know
of and to use.

The link to the Repair tools reference:

http://meshrepair.org/

The link to the 3D printing thoughts of one user new to the
experience:

The Basics of 3D Printing in 2015 - from someone with 16 WHOLE HOURS' experience
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheBasicsOf3DPrintingIn2015Fro mSomeoneWith16WHOLEHOURSExperience.aspx

Hopefully, they will be of some help, useful to know.
 Topic: 3D Print Nano Drone that Takes Selfies and Combines Virtual Reality
3D Print Nano Drone that Takes Selfies and Combines Virtual Reality [message #112794] Wed, 25 March 2015 09:13 UTC
avatar KathyElecfreaks  is currently offline KathyElecfreaks
Go to all my models
Hi everybody, I'd like to share something about the 3D software design of the ELF VRdrone, which you can get an overview by clicking here.

http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/elf-3d-model-.jpg

It's based on FDM printers, generally using ABS or PLA as filaments.

Modular design: split complex parts into a few simple parts, assemble them after printing.

If we noticed, we'll find that by splitting the motor housing into 2 parts, the structure of "large upper part, small lower part" we mentioned at the beginning will not appear, and the success rate is greatly enhanced. Thus, for more complex designs, and those "large upper part, small lower part" unavoidable, consider about dismantling the model into several parts.

Take the ELF WIFICAM housing as an example, before we secure it to the drone, we part it into 2 parts: the shell and the hook. With the WIFICAM firstly mounted into the shell, we can then fix it on the drone using the hook.

http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/3D-print-modular-design.jpg

As you can see from the above design, every part can be guaranteed without any support or post-processing. We apply the same trick on the ELF battery case design.

http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ELF-modular-design.jpg

Last comes the ELF overall body. The "dismantling rule" also works. In a word, for a larger overall framework, you need to work extremely intensively on every little bit to avoid collapse and pay extra efforts on the support as well as post-processing only to get a fairly humble print. The utilization of "modular design" is really important.

After printing all the parts, people will probably think about how to assemble them into an integrated robot. In the following parts, we are going to talk about some points important to pay attention.

Important points of modular design

Traditional assembly design requires up to 0.1 mm difference in size between the parts. However, due to the nozzle head diameter of FDM, the final prints have some discrepancy compared to the 3D models. Take the nozzle of 0.4 mm diameter as an instance, to print a 10x10x10 (mm), but it will result in 10×10.4×10.4 (mm) cube. Why is that?

The above picture shows that it is because the nozzle head diameter is 0.4 mm, the print length and width are both 10.4 mm, while the height remains 10 mm. If it is a single object, such errors can be ignored; but if it is several parts which will be assembled into something new, then still using the "0.1 mm difference" like we normally do will be a problem. Taking into account the mutual engagement of the two parts will eventually be more than 0.4 mm error as the design size, we come to the conclusion that the two parts must have 0.9 mm difference in size. If you need to fit them tight, narrow that difference to 0.8 mm.

Design the most efficient print how-tos.

Try to leave out support, which consumes much time outside of the useful print part and requires removal.

Use hollowed design if necessary since this saves time and filaments.

Choose the proper filaments.

FMD mainly uses two filaments: ABS and PLA, each with its own characteristics. We need to choose the proper type under different circumstances.

PLA with lower melting point, has better adhesive properties, emits no odor during the printing process-which is the biggest advantage.

ABS is better known for its low density, light weight, good toughness and certain flexibility.

If you need to print a craft, having nothing strict requirement on the weight and the toughness, then PLA is the best choice. But if you want the model lighter with some hooks or buckles, and toughness, ABS must be better. The ELF is printed by using ABS.

http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ELF-using-ABS-3D-print.jpg

http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ELF-3D-model-1.jpg

http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ELF-3D-model-3.jpg

All the 3D print models mentioned above can be found on MakerbotThingiverse. If you want a 3D print nano drone, welcome to check out on our Indiegogo campaign page.
 Topic: 3D Print Files Design Tips for FDM Printers 1
3D Print Files Design Tips for FDM Printers 1 [message #112793] Wed, 25 March 2015 09:00 UTC
avatar KathyElecfreaks  is currently offline KathyElecfreaks
Go to all my models
The past two years has seen a lot of low-cost desktop 3D printers, which are mostly based on FDM, such as the most well-known Makerbot, Ultimaker, Reprap and more others. The requirements on 3D print files may differ a lot depending on the type and the processing method of the 3D printer. In this article we'll focus on how to design the 3D software specifically for FDM machines, in addition to some precautions.
1. The 3D design models must be the same size up and down, or large lower part and small upper part structure.

As we all know about the principle of 3D printing – or "additive manufacturing, AM, additive processes are used, in which successive layers of material are laid down under computer control." (quoted from wikipedia) , so if the lower part is smaller than the upper, the top will easily collapse down due to a lack of support. Thus, if this occurs, it will impact the printing results, or eventually leads to failure. Let's look at an example.

http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/3D-print-file-structure.jpg

It's the former ELF motor mount. The red part in the circle is exactly the above mentioned flawed structure which is easy to collapse. When you finish printing such a thing, you'll find that the surface is unexpectedly rough. Since the base is firmly glued to the hotbed, with the layers' weight laid on it, it's very easy to fall down and break. Though the average success rate remains 70% or less.

2. If the model has to be "large upper par and small lower part", you need to remember the "45-degree" rule or try to adopt arc structure.
http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/3D-print-file-improvement.jpg

Change the structure where the curves drop sharply as the above image shows, into a 45-degree angle. This will help improve the print quality. Likewise, using the arc structure will help avoid collapse as much as possible.
3. Try to design a flat base. It is crucial because it eliminates the trouble of the later removal of the support, saving filaments.

http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/3D-print-file-arc-structure.jpg
http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/3D-print-file-arc-structure-base.jpg

The bottom surface of the arc cannot be printed directly, except that you increase the base and support. After printing, you have to spend much energy to wipe off the base to only find that the finished very rough in shape.

This is the finished print after initial grinding, hard to accept though. The image below shows the 3D print file for the ELF VRdrone battery case. (Access on MakerbotThingivese)

http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ELF-battery-case-3D-file.jpg

It is the print without any post processing.

http://www.elecfreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ELF-3D-print-battery-case.jpg
 Topic: How to export from second life and open sim to shapeways
How to export from second life and open sim to shapeways [message #112313] Mon, 16 March 2015 23:19 UTC
avatar DrWhoJohnSmith  is currently offline DrWhoJohnSmith
Go to my shop
every wanted to have an object you made in second life or open sim in real life now you can with these instructions don't be afraid to use the pause button. 3d world prints have less restrictions of textures as most 3d softwares. I have use it to make things and put it on shapeways.com a few times before here is how to do it.
https://youtu.be/0-MyWe2RG6Y https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_2289922_3738300_1426497157.jpghttps://images4.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_2290258_3740249_1426499021.jpg
pictures are a few examples of exported work

[Updated on: Mon, 16 March 2015 23:27 UTC]

Don't Blink
 Topic: need help with photoshop color model
need help with photoshop color model [message #111863] Mon, 09 March 2015 07:33 UTC
avatar BloomingVineDesign  is currently offline BloomingVineDesign
Go to my shop
I am trying to make a sandstone pendant. 2.5 x 2.5 about inches. I am using photoshop and in photoshop, weather O extrude or add a bubble preset to the model, the image is scaled and stretched to fit completely. When I upload to shapeways I get a gray outline and the image is off, as if the actual image was smaller. any help? Thanks so much. I am new to shapeways and 3d.

here is the product for you to see as uploaded. https://www.shapeways.com/product/USAK4NEPU/bluegreencelticc rosspendant-wrl?key=0246c31568c32c49ef83a1ca03225969

http://bloomingvinedesign.com one site to sell to all.. one site to find them.. one site to spend hours on and with the colors blind them.
 Topic: Tinkercad Shortcuts
Tinkercad Shortcuts [message #111583] Thu, 05 March 2015 01:37 UTC
Go to all my models
Just stumbled across this:

http://blog.tinkercad.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

VERY useful if you're learning Tinkercad or wouldn't mind
a useful reference.
 Topic: Inkscape - Openscad / Inkscape - Tinkercad
Inkscape - Openscad / Inkscape - Tinkercad [message #111581] Thu, 05 March 2015 00:41 UTC
Go to all my models
If you didn't already know, Tinkercad imports SVG files from Inkscape.

Also, there's a converter for Inkscape to Openscad (both programs - FREE). And from
Openscad, you can edit (if you like), compile the saved file and export it to STL format.

The Openscad exporter is here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25036

Instructions are here:

Linux:
http://jfayel.net/post/58351618292/inkscape-gets-openscad-co nverter

Windows:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/rihamselim/archive/2013/06/08/how-to -convert-pretty-much-any-image-to-a-3d-object.aspx

[Updated on: Thu, 05 March 2015 00:43 UTC]

Topic: Need A Designer For Pandora beads
Need A Designer For Pandora beads [message #111411] Mon, 02 March 2015 21:53 UTC
avatar jrobichaud  is currently offline jrobichaud
Go to all my models
I needs some 3D models done of Pandora beads using client logos.
 Topic: Adding textures/finishes to a 3D model
Adding textures/finishes to a 3D model [message #111146] Wed, 25 February 2015 22:08 UTC
avatar MadAsU  is currently offline MadAsU
Go to my shop
I am looking to add texture to some models - primarily wall finishes to HO scale models. The kind of thing I am looking for are brick/stone/wood walls and corrugated iron roofs.

The model in question is:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/FKN587EE4/ho-scale-outhous e-1-87

I appreciate that any texture won't work with wsf, but perhaps I could get them to work with detailed plastics...

Any ideas other than manually creating the textures? I am hoping there is something I can do to select a surface and apply the texture.

I am using 123D Design from Autodesk.

Thanks
Dain

Follow MadAsU on:

Instagram
 Topic: matte black steel durability?
matte black steel durability? [message #110196] Tue, 10 February 2015 18:12 UTC
avatar Liquid_Noir  is currently offline Liquid_Noir
Go to my shop
Hi there I'm wondering if anyone has much experience with matte black steel jewelry? I have printed one piece in this material but intending to sell it and have a potential customer asking if the black will wear off. Anyone have more insight into the creation process for this material, or know how it wears long term for jewelry? Thanks for your help, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Liquid Noir
 Topic: Help - 'out of memory' error code when using Netfabb
Help - 'out of memory' error code when using Netfabb [message #109002] Tue, 27 January 2015 05:14 UTC
avatar gibbo1984  is currently offline gibbo1984
Go to all my models
Hi I keep getting an 'out of memory' error code when using Netfabb? does anyone know why this is happening and how I can avoid it? thanks
 Topic: Minimum ring band thickness for polished brass/bronze
Minimum ring band thickness for polished brass/bronze [message #108372] Mon, 19 January 2015 12:40 UTC
avatar okacat  is currently offline okacat
Go to all my models
Hello!

I'm in the process of designing a ring, that I'm either going to order in polished brass, preferably. Bronze is also an option if it turns out it's stronger. My question is, what would the minimum thickness of the band need to be? Currently mine is at 1.1mm, I could go up to 1.25mm if needed. The profile of the band is a square, not a circle (cross section). Would brass be strong enough for a ring like that?
 Topic: [London] Show your 3D design skills at the 2nd Imakrthon on February 7
[London] Show your 3D design skills at the 2nd Imakrthon on February 7 [message #107738] Mon, 12 January 2015 17:36 UTC
avatar ze_butcher  is currently offline ze_butcher
Go to all my models
iMakr and MyMiniFactory present the second iMakrthon, the hackathon dedicated to 3D printing. This next edition will be held on 7th February and will focus on 3D sculpture.

The focus will be to produce a 3D printable, 3D sculpted piece of concept art. Participants will compete against each other in a 24 hour competition held at the iMakr Store, 79 Clerkenwell Road, London.
This is a call to all 3D designers who want to test their skills and see what they can produce in a highly competitive enviroment.
The design brief will be announced on the day of the competition.
The winner will recieve a one of a kind 30cm 3D print of their design, printed by the DeltaWASP 3D printer. Their design will then be professionally finished by the post processing team at MyMiniFactory. All entrants will recieve a 10cm high 3D print of their design.

If you are interested in participating please register here and send an example of your 3D modeling work that best showcases your abilities to zac@imakr.com in order to be considered as an entrant.
 Topic: Colored Sandstone Printing - Not All Colors Printing Properly
Colored Sandstone Printing - Not All Colors Printing Properly [message #104544] Mon, 08 December 2014 21:13 UTC
avatar Sieve70  is currently offline Sieve70
Go to all my models
I've uploaded a .dae of my sculpture, and I see a full color preview. I then ordered a printing in color sandstone.

My sculpture contains the following colors: Red, Yellow, Light Blue, and Grey.

All areas printed as shown in the full color preview except the Red area. It basically printed as a "Dark Grey".

I submitted a support request a week again, and still haven't heard back - I see that experts are responding here rather quickly, so I'm coming to you all for help.

FYI - sculpture produced in Blender.

Thanks in advance!

[Updated on: Mon, 08 December 2014 21:16 UTC]

Topic: Choosing where metal casting "channels" can go.
Choosing where metal casting "channels" can go. [message #104405] Fri, 05 December 2014 18:58 UTC
avatar dkrentz  is currently offline dkrentz
Go to my shop
I have only printed one model in bronze ( Kosmoceratops, David Krentz Dinosaurs) and I was a little distraught at where the caster chose to place the pour channel -plug- or whatever you want to call it. It was put right in the middle of the model and when polished off it left a giant shiny bald spot which obliterated all the details. I've done lots of bronze casting before, so I understand the reasons for choosing a large area like that, but I would like to at least suggest another spot on the model where it wouldn't be so visible! Is there a wAy to communicate that? Could I just model a channel myself? Would it be ignored?
 Topic: Designing an unusual 3D print
Designing an unusual 3D print [message #104160] Tue, 02 December 2014 16:07 UTC
avatar Hermetres  is currently offline Hermetres
Go to my shop
Dear all, I'm a university student in charge of developing a biochemical device (reactor) for the depuration of leather factory wastewaters, this is an european project leaded by Ambiental Engineering University of Florence. Part of this device should be colonized with fungi in order to purify water, and they (the fungi) need a biodegradable material with a certain porosity to grow. I am currently developing a tester sample and I'm going to 3D print it in PLA. The tester should be as similar as it can be to a small cube of "low density polyurethane foam" ( http://www.modulor.de/out/pictures/generated/product/1/800_6 00_85/241590_1_pu-filterschaum-schwarz.jpg).
I was thinking about using some algorythm like voronoi, but I'm not sure it is the best option.
What do you think? How would you make the 3D model?

Ps: I'm quite used to nurbs modeling, but not so much in poly. I guess the latter method is more suitable, am I wrong?
 Topic: Applying fix thin walls doesnt work
Applying fix thin walls doesnt work [message #104065] Mon, 01 December 2014 14:12 UTC
avatar Rotbaeckchen  is currently offline Rotbaeckchen
Go to all my models
Hey everyone,

after uploading my model I saw that my walls are too thin. I fixed this by pressing on the button, I can see the fixed model, with a new price. But when I press on the save changes button, my model appears with the old price and is indicated with thinn walls.

Could you please tell me what is wrong with my model?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Anastasia

• Attachment: S-fixed.x3d
    (Size: 5.54MB, Downloaded 19 time(s))

Topic: Course fully dedicated to 3D design and 3D printing
Course fully dedicated to 3D design and 3D printing [message #103864] Thu, 27 November 2014 15:02 UTC
avatar MMFAcademy  is currently offline MMFAcademy
Go to all my models
Want to become an Expert in 3D printing and 3D design?

MyMiniFactory is offering you the chance to learn from industry leading professionals in the first MyMiniFactory Academy course starting end of January 2015.

For more information follow the link : http://myminifactory.com/pages/myminifactory-academy

or email academy@myminifactory.com.

-----
http://www.myminifactory.com/
http://www.facebook.com/myminiF
http://twitter.com/myminifactory

[Updated on: Fri, 28 November 2014 11:14 UTC]

Topic: Cleaning WRL
Cleaning WRL [message #103366] Fri, 21 November 2014 12:22 UTC
avatar 3DSwim  is currently offline 3DSwim
Go to my shop
Hi I have a group of objects with textures that I need to e,port as a wrl. However I cant send a wrl to netfabb. Is there a way to clean the wrl without losing the textures?
 Topic: fit pieces inside others
fit pieces inside others [message #102233] Mon, 03 November 2014 11:50 UTC
avatar carlosc  is currently offline carlosc
Go to all my models
Hi,

I have allready ordered two pieces trhough shapeways and I don't want to mess up again. I need to fit the black piece inside the 3d printed white piece. I need to get as close as possible, so I would like to know wich is the tollerance of the 3d printing with the white, strong and flexible material. So how much space would you let bewttwen the 3d printing piece and my other piece that I already have?

Thankyou very much!

Carlos.

Topic: Professional Instruction Available
Professional Instruction Available [message #100927] Thu, 09 October 2014 21:17 UTC
avatar lymanbishop  is currently offline lymanbishop
Go to my shop
I am a mechanical engineer with over 15 years experience in new product design and development. I am an expert with 3D CAD design (Solidworks), 3D printing and manufacturing. I can assist with questions regarding the specifics of design or any issue you may be having at any stage of the process.

I can also log you into my system remotely allowing you to view my screen as I work in order to better guide you and help you understand how to solve any problems you may be facing.

Feel free to reach out with any questions whatsoever.

Thanks,

Lyman

Lyman Bishop
Mechanical Engineer
lymanbishop@star-labs.com
406-407-6995

index.php?t=getfile&id=73826&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=73827&private=0

[Updated on: Thu, 09 October 2014 21:18 UTC]

Lyman Bishop
lymanbishop@star-labs.com
www.star-labs.com
406-407-6995
 Topic: Custom ring app not loading
Custom ring app not loading [message #99020] Sun, 21 September 2014 22:53 UTC
avatar BlueFlame  is currently offline BlueFlame
Go to my shop
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Shapeways and 3D printing and very excited!

After signing up a week days ago, I created my first ring using the custom ring app. Everything worked fine.
For the past few days I've been wanting to create another design but the default ring doesn't load, ending with the message:

Quote:

"Oops! Something went wrong with the ring creator 3D preview. Please try again."

I've tried in different browser (chrome, firefox, IE), on other computer, on windows 8 and linux (ubuntu). Nothing does it!

A few random times, the loading would stop but nothing would be on the screen and the only way to see the ring is to do a 3D printing check, if the ring has errors, it some how finds the ring and zooms in on it from very far away.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
Anyone have solutions?

Thank you!
 Topic: What material I should use?
What material I should use? [message #97684] Wed, 03 September 2014 11:58 UTC
avatar Heallix  is currently offline Heallix
Go to all my models
I'm making weaponry for a specific line of artist which are BJD hobbiests.

Now i've made this with high detail.

Dimensions should be 230 mm height, 43 mm width, 12 mm depth.

I want to keep the detail high. But the price low. And the material should be paintable. Any tips?

Topic: Friction fit pieces in FD and FUD
Friction fit pieces in FD and FUD [message #97225] Wed, 27 August 2014 22:57 UTC
avatar Brandroid  is currently offline Brandroid
Go to all my models
I'm trying to determine how much clearance to leave between parts intended for friction or interference fit in Frosted Detail and Frosted Ultra Detail. I see some information here in the forums, but some of it is conflicting and rarely mentioned are the size of the parts to be fitted together.

My intended design is a post approximately 2 mm in diameter fitting into a hole. The parts will be printed separately, so fusing is not an issue. Think of the connection pegs on injection-molded model kits (or better yet Snap-Tite kits). The fit should be snug enough to hold by itself but I can also apply glue if needed.

I've seen info here suggesting clearances of 0.1 mm all the way up to 0.4 mm. Those values seem a bit large to me considering the printing tolerances in FD and FUD. I'd love to hear from others who have printed pieces like this with success.
Pages (99): [ «    10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25    »]

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.