Search Search  
Today's Messages (OFF)  | Unanswered Messages (ON)

Forum: 3D Printing
 Topic: Ceramic Glaze on Part Bottom
Ceramic Glaze on Part Bottom [message #43594] Tue, 07 February 2012 04:03 UTC
avatar JamesSaunders  is currently offline JamesSaunders
Go to my shop
I'm preparing to print my first ceramic part, and I have a question to hopefully inform my design a bit. Tip #8 on the design rules page for ceramics indicates that parts should have a clear "bottom" to ensure they are glazed correctly. Does this mean the bottom doesn't get glazed? Does the area of this base get subtracted from the print price? If I print a 10 cm x 10 cm x 10 cm cube, is the surface area 600 cm^2 or only 500 cm^2 (subtracting on face area for the "bottom")?
 Topic: Arrangement of multiple parts
Arrangement of multiple parts [message #42491] Sun, 22 January 2012 12:26 UTC
avatar RicheyRose  is currently offline RicheyRose
Go to all my models
Hiya, finally finished tweaking my Boris and eliminating thin walls etc. I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best way to arrange the parts in the final file would be. It'll be printed in WSF polished.

The body, legs and bike are all to be printed as a single part. I'm guessing wheels laid flat, same with the bits sprue? What about the body / legs. Laid flat along the same axis as the wheels, or will it be ok standing up (the legs move)

index.php?t=getfile&id=13735&private=0

Cheers!

Topic: Minimum Dimensions
Minimum Dimensions [message #41550] Mon, 09 January 2012 22:06 UTC
avatar AyameDeude  is currently offline AyameDeude
Go to my shop
Hello fellow Shapies!

I submitted an order for one of my models so I could take some photos and I received a "dimensions too small" notice about it.

As far as I can tell, the dimensions of both earrings fit in the minimum 65mm total. Though, admittedly, only when accounting for both earrings.

Link to model: http://www.shapeways.com/model/426629/minecraft_earrings__gr ass_.html?gid=ug

Is there something I'm missing or is it a mistake? I can increase the size of the earrings easily enough, but I really like the current size of them and am worried that it will come out gaudy.

Note: the original design was two cubes of 16x16x16mm each. i recently ugraded them to be 22x22x22mm in hopes that it would fulfill the 65mm minimum.

[Updated on: Tue, 10 January 2012 00:11 UTC]

Topic: Material weight "White Detail"
Material weight "White Detail" [message #41412] Sat, 07 January 2012 22:28 UTC
avatar jconradt  is currently offline jconradt
Go to all my models
Hi Shapeways and community,

I would like to know the specific weight (per cm^3) of your material "white detail". Most others (such as White, Strong and Flexible; and Frosted Detail) I have found in the material data sheets (0.93g/cm^3 and 1.02g/cm^3 respectively), but I can't find that info for "white detail" (fullcure 830). Even the "objet" web pages seem to ignore that.

Thanks for any information!

Jorg Conradt

[Updated on: Sat, 07 January 2012 22:40 UTC]

Topic: Large Hollow Object - Sandstone
Large Hollow Object - Sandstone [message #41340] Fri, 06 January 2012 22:48 UTC
avatar visualGnosis  is currently offline visualGnosis
Go to my shop
Hi Smile

I am trying to create a large hollow sandstone object (it will be full color). I want to make full use of the print size and my model nears 20cm cubed - and is hollow.

My questions - How thin can I realistically make the walls of this model.

Is the price calculation on this model taking into account the hollowness?

Any other tips that I can glean?

Many thanks,

Matt

Heres the link

http://www.shapeways.com/model/430152/d91c75a243c0d867a8e6ff f68136fa64/chaossphere_20cm.html?gid=ug
 Topic: Stainless Steel Accuracy?
Stainless Steel Accuracy? [message #41111] Tue, 03 January 2012 12:17 UTC
avatar thomashuang.net  is currently offline thomashuang.net
Go to my shop
Hello,
I haven't printed stainless steel before, and have questions about accuracy.

I have a coupling nut and a screw, and I need to make a SS hexagonal cap that fits on top of the nut, and goes between the nut and screw.

according to the design rules, the accuracy of SS is 2mm. Is this 2mm in either direction?

The width from side to side of the nut is 12.8mm, and I need the cap to fit snugly. I was thinking to compensate for this variation, I would taper the inside of the cap over a height of 3-4mm, from about 12.3mm at the top to 14.3mm at the bottom. Would this work or do I need greater tolerances?

This cap is one end of a Z-bracket sort of thing. How does orientation affect SS printing? Does it make a difference if the Z is on it's side or upright?

Thanks

http://thomashuang.net/products/nps75/pack-a.jpg
http://www.thomashuang.net/test/sscap.gif

[Updated on: Tue, 03 January 2012 12:22 UTC]

Topic: SOLVED: W x D x H wrong when making a model with Image Popper
SOLVED: W x D x H wrong when making a model with Image Popper [message #40895] Thu, 29 December 2011 17:26 UTC
avatar TheDutchOwner  is currently offline TheDutchOwner
Go to my shop
SOLVED: I figured it out already. NVM!

[Updated on: Thu, 29 December 2011 17:28 UTC]

Topic: Printing with Solder and other conductives
icon3.gif  Printing with Solder and other conductives [message #40882] Thu, 29 December 2011 08:42 UTC
avatar Nasa_Nate   is currently offline Nasa_Nate
Go to all my models
It seems easy to me... Can shapeways print with solder? It looks like silver is the only conductive material you have, though way $$$ for me. Copper would be great to, but the solder idea seems so lo temp it would be easy. THink of bein able to print 3d electrical paths... =)

Thanks! Very Happy -Nate
 Topic: Best Software to generate models for 3D color printing
Best Software to generate models for 3D color printing [message #39909] Wed, 07 December 2011 07:59 UTC
avatar Jeffrey V. Cook  is currently offline Jeffrey V. Cook
Go to my shop
I've uploaded 10+ models and successfully printed them in the materials WSF (+ 3 other colors), FD, Alumide, and Sandstone. Now I want to use the Full Color Sandstone (FCS) material.

Through trial and error, email with customer support, and checking forum threads, I have deduced that OBJ files with color profiles are not supported for FCS printing. If I am wrong about this, someone please correct me, to stop me from expending some serious future effort.

It seems I must use VRML2 or X3D to print to FCS. And since I'm not making headway exporting my OBJ files to proper VRML2/X3D using SketchUp/AccuTrans3D/MeshLab/Blender, I'd like some recommendations on the 3D modeling software I should use to achieve my objective.

Q1: If you have successfully printed a model using Full Color Sandstone, please tell me what software and format was used.

For my application, the 3D modeling software must support some type of user-specified computation to transform an imported model.

Q2: If you have an opinion on which software/format is best suited for my purpose (3ds Max, Maya, Rhino, ...) please tell me.

Thanks...Jeff

P.S. Up til now, I've used SketchUp Pro 8 to generate all of my models, exporting to either STL or OBJ. I've had to write support software and use/modify various SketchUp plug-ins, because the patterns in my models are computed, based on Wolfram's Automated Cellular Automaton (see attached photo of a model printed in FD). I've tried numerous times to export VRML from SketchUp, following suggestions given in the forums, to no avail. Models that successfully export to OBJ format, when exported to VRML format, are either corrupted or incomplete or just wrong, when examined using AccuTrans3D, Blender, or MeshLab. Same with OBJ files exported to VRML from the latter 3 programs. This is why I am asking for help. If you know some magic to make SketchUp or these other programs export proper VRML, please advise.

Topic: Best material for small parts?
Best material for small parts? [message #38413] Fri, 11 November 2011 20:54 UTC
avatar leo.padron  is currently offline leo.padron
Go to all my models
I was happy to receive my prototype in White Strong and Flexible, but couldn't help but notice it was sponge-y and a bit more frail than I expected. In my tiny mind, I was thinking something more like a typical PVC part having no experience with this.

My challenge is complex here because I am trying to make things that are tough, flexible, but actually quite small, and require tolerances close to what you're spec'ed to. So the .3mm shrinkage I noticed has impact. It's do-able, I can work around it, but it's at this scale dimensional tolerances are tough to manage. Would Alumide be even harder to work with then and more brittle?

Is there any material or process I can use that is appropriate for small run productions for parts that require fidelity to detail to even .1mm? And I also wish to try metal (I'm guessing your steel process probably isn't appropriate for this granularity). I was thinking perhaps something that required stereolithography then making a mold out of that somehow.

Unfortunately, I'm only an armchair engineer, so feel free to use small words. Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 11 November 2011 20:54 UTC]

Topic: hi i want to print
hi i want to print [message #38270] Wed, 09 November 2011 21:58 UTC
avatar speedyexe  is currently offline speedyexe
Go to all my models
hi i want to print iv got all set up in blender using boolean but when i was reading the tutorial i didnt get it about the making tris and getting ctrl+p to separate meshes... what for? iv made box made bool with cilinder what for i need to separate it and make it tris and then what? weld them by hand? i dont get it.... can any body explain me that tutorial on website and should i do anything or boolean its good to go and print...
please help me Smile
 Topic: Alternative to white glaze?
Alternative to white glaze? [message #37704] Mon, 31 October 2011 20:36 UTC
avatar type3secretion  is currently offline type3secretion
Go to all my models
I'm interested in the question of whether Shapeways will offer other glaze options (colors would dramatically enhance the appeal of the ceramics, particular for larger surface area objects that are expensive for which decoration could increase customer perceived value dramatically).

There are some fairly easy to apply and user friendly FOOD SAFE glazes that often make spectacular looks to ceramics.
 Topic: Shapeways material sample video on flex and finished
Shapeways material sample video on flex and finished [message #35487] Thu, 29 September 2011 22:43 UTC
avatar carlcrott  is currently offline carlcrott
Go to my shop
Hey all I was hoping to locate a video on these materials shapeways offers

specifically im after a video of the " black detail "

super specifically:

video of the deflection in a piece of 1cm thick of the "black detail" material under ~10 lbs pressure

might anyone be able to help?

trying to build this:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/345799/pipettor_head_metal.ht ml?gid=ug

10 lbs of force will be applied at the 2 large holes on the ends

Topic: Question on Ring Co-Creator
Question on Ring Co-Creator [message #35130] Mon, 26 September 2011 15:41 UTC
avatar cadalu  is currently offline cadalu
Go to all my models
Hi guys,

Sorry if this in the wrong forum section, I wasn't sure where it fit best. On the shapeways ring creator, are you able to download your model after it's created? I want to be able to adjust it to a half size, so I'm hoping I can download it.

Since we have the ring co creator, any plans to do a bracelet style bangle in the future?

Thanks for your help!

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2011 15:54 UTC]

Topic: 3ds Max texture export problem
icon9.gif  3ds Max texture export problem [message #35111] Mon, 26 September 2011 13:22 UTC
avatar MetinSeven  is currently offline MetinSeven
Go to my shop
Hi guys,

I've created a model (units: meters), baked a texture in it, and it looks correct in 3ds Max. But I can't get a reference to the accompanying texture to be included in a VRML97 export from 3ds Max. A texture reference is missing in the output file.

I've tried adding the texture reference manually to the VRML97 file with a text editor, but then Meshlab gave me errors about missing or too much parentheses, which I couldn't get fixed.

A Zip with the 3ds Max 2012 file and texture can be downloaded from here. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 September 2011 13:23 UTC]

Metin Seven — Dutch designer and visual artist. Creates and sells 3D prints and art prints — www.metinseven.com
 Topic: Help - FUD model too short in one direction
Help - FUD model too short in one direction [message #33965] Wed, 07 September 2011 20:36 UTC
avatar JohnC  is currently offline JohnC
Go to my shop
I printed an item in FUD back in June and I have just discovered today that the item is too short in the X direction (only) by about 2%. Unfortunately I didn't check immediately after receiving it so I don't know if this was a printing error or it has shrunk since. I have checked the key measurements of the STL file in netfabb and they are spot on so it is definitely not a model problem.

Has anyone had any similar experiences or suggestions as to what I can do?

Regards
John

[Updated on: Fri, 05 July 2013 10:48 UTC]

Topic: where to grind on metal
where to grind on metal [message #32868] Wed, 17 August 2011 18:55 UTC
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
on my Honey Ring and honey ring skinny I've had a customer have the same issue twice in a row. The issue is the hexagonal nub that protrudes at the top of each ring is a design intent and it gets ground off during finishing. see picture

index.php?t=getfile&id=10625&private=0

After he reported this once and got a replacement the same mistake was repeated. I've ordered several of these and have not had this issue; each of my rings have been ground at the bottom. So I need more consistency in the finishing of these rings. Are the people doing the finishing looking at renderings or photo's of the design so they know what's a feature and what was added for casting?

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
 Topic: Alumide clearance of plain bearing
Alumide clearance of plain bearing [message #32694] Mon, 15 August 2011 06:11 UTC
avatar samdekok  is currently offline samdekok
Go to my shop
Hello,
I am wanting to make a part in Alumide (am firm on this for good reasons) and I want to make interlocking parts such as plain bearings.

I want to know if anyone else has done this in alumide. I know that people usually leave 0.5mm (I think) in SWF for this. But Alumide also gets shotblasted post-process and I want to know how much to take into account.

For example, if I was making a piston/cylinder set in SWF I would make the piston 10mm in diameter and I would make the mating cylinder 10.5mm in internal diameter.

But what about alumide?

Would love any advice - otherwise - I wil start research I guess.
 Topic: Ceramics
Ceramics [message #32474] Thu, 11 August 2011 01:06 UTC
avatar cnewlander  is currently offline cnewlander
Go to my shop
Hello,

Would it be possible to have a ceramic model printed and skip the glazing process?

Thanks,

Craig
 Topic: EnvisionTEC Aureus
EnvisionTEC Aureus [message #31952] Tue, 02 August 2011 06:05 UTC
avatar KC  is currently offline KC
Go to all my models
Hi would you have any insight into growing problems using the Aureus? Here is what happened to me.

The green wic100 has had a problem of bonding to the lower tray onto the silicone(switched trays and used pic100 and it happened too). Now this maching has been zero'ed out and I don't think that is the problem. Maby somehow the model broke while growing. Also there is a battery backup on it. Now those trays are not cheep. I just thought I would check with people that are experts with this stuff.

I ususlly run the models overnite so that makes it hard to see whats going on.

Thank you
KC
 Topic: Preview mesh has issues will it print correctly?
Preview mesh has issues will it print correctly? [message #31904] Mon, 01 August 2011 05:00 UTC
avatar uncookedtrout  is currently offline uncookedtrout
Go to my shop
Hello,

I have a question about a new model I uploaded:
http://shpws.me/2Mve

On the preview image and in Shapeways 3d viewer the model's eyes are gone.
Example

I tested file in three 3d apps and none of them are having this issue. I checked normals and they are correct.

Will it print like this?

Thank you

index.php?t=getfile&id=10274&private=0

[Updated on: Mon, 01 August 2011 05:43 UTC]

Topic: Printing/orientation of round-bodied objects?
Printing/orientation of round-bodied objects? [message #31494] Mon, 25 July 2011 21:39 UTC
avatar MeatballRocketry  is currently offline MeatballRocketry
Go to my shop
Does part orientation need to be considered for round-bodied objects (created by a revolve or spin) in order for them to print properly? See the image below for a simplified version of what I'm talking about.

http://www.shapeways.com/openfile/300032/300032.v0.s21.convert.small.jpg

Thanks...

Josh T.
 Topic: Printing accuracy in SWF
Printing accuracy in SWF [message #31337] Fri, 22 July 2011 09:36 UTC
avatar flyingcat  is currently offline flyingcat
Go to my shop
Hi there,

I just received a model I ordered in strong black & flexible - it's a little box with a sliding lid.

The sliding lid consists mostly of one big rectangular sheet, about 157x106 mm and 1 mm thick.

Sadly, one of the long sides is close to 1 mm longer than the other!

While it is easy enough to correct with a sharp knife, it is not the accuracy I hoped to see (and makes me wonder what the impact will be on other models I have planned to print).

Is this deviation (157 -> 158 mm in 106 mm across) normal or did something unusual happen there?

Thanks & regards,
Christian
 Topic: Thermal stability of WSF
Thermal stability of WSF [message #30801] Wed, 13 July 2011 14:47 UTC
avatar richgain  is currently offline richgain
Go to my shop
Hi

Just wanted to check out some of the information on your Materials page.

The Material comparison page states:
Heat resistance = 80/176 ºF.

Presumably this means 80 °C / 176 ºF (since the conversion is accurate).

But the datasheet gives very different information:
Thermal properties
Melting point EN ISO 11357-1
172 - 180 °C

Vicat softening temperature B/50 EN ISO 306
ASTM D1525
163°C / 325°F

Vicat softening temperature A/50 EN ISO 306
ASTM D1525
181°C / 358°F

This is important because dyeing WSF parts involves boiling them at 100°C. I have done this many times and have never seen a part soften, even slightly.

I suspect the information on the Materials page is wrong.

Regards
Richard

"a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles"
Röyksopp - Remind Me
 Topic: Glazed Ceramics - Colors?
Glazed Ceramics - Colors? [message #27730] Tue, 17 May 2011 21:57 UTC
avatar Flashhawk  is currently offline Flashhawk
Go to my shop
Ok i know.. you cranked out a new material and all we do is call for more... Laughing
But i would like to know if you think about adding different glazes to your portfolio at least after the ending of the testphase in august. I would realy like to order a chess set and it would be great if you had black or whatever other glaze color then...
Thanks for reading this
FH
 Topic: Question about materials
Question about materials [message #26597] Tue, 26 April 2011 23:22 UTC
avatar VentureTiger  is currently offline VentureTiger
Go to all my models
I need to make something out of rubber but it doesn't seem to be one of the materials options. Do you have anything that is considered rubber or a very flexible material?

Dan
 Topic: Frosted Detail Length/Thickness ratio
Frosted Detail Length/Thickness ratio [message #26581] Tue, 26 April 2011 15:11 UTC
avatar tebee  is currently offline tebee
Go to my shop
Is there any advice yet for what is an acceptable ratio for length and thickness for this new material yet?

I've had a few problems in the with this as some of my models have sub 1 mm square sections in them .

Somewhere between 10:1 or 12:1 seems to be the limit in WSF . White detail seems to be less but I've not used it enough to get a definitive answer.

Tom
 Topic: STP upload?
STP upload? [message #26575] Tue, 26 April 2011 11:00 UTC
avatar merlijnjanssen  is currently offline merlijnjanssen
Go to all my models
Tried to upload a model in .STP format. I thought this was the most widely used format in 3D printing. Why is it not accepted in a Shapeway upload?
Thanks.
 Topic: Photoshaper image samples
icon5.gif  Photoshaper image samples [message #26324] Thu, 21 April 2011 18:41 UTC
avatar enscript  is currently offline enscript
Go to all my models
Hello,
I would like to order a personalized photoshaper but I'm unable to decide between the materials available.
Do you have camera shots of products that were created using photoshaper with material like glass or metal. Would love to see the same picture in sandstone/glass/metal.

Thank you.
 Topic: 3D printed phone case
3D printed phone case [message #24306] Mon, 28 February 2011 07:02 UTC
avatar Axius  is currently offline Axius
Go to my shop
Hello all,

I'd like a suggestion,

I have a 3D printed phone case that I made with Shapeways, we used "Black detail" but the parts came back too flexible. We intend on using Polycarbonate with a percentage of glass fiber for regidity in the finished product. However we need to make a few "testers" to send out to people. Shapeways suggested Alumide or "Grey Robust".

However, I'm worried that Alumide is too brittle, and Grey Robust won't have the detail needed in a small part like a phone case.

I guess I could sand the rough edged of "Grey Robust" if it's an issue, what do you guys think?
 Topic: Best material to mimic aluminum with knurling?
Best material to mimic aluminum with knurling? [message #22512] Wed, 12 January 2011 14:45 UTC
avatar sihnongallery  is currently offline sihnongallery
Go to my shop
Hi all,

I've been thinking of trying Shapeways for a project soon as was wondering what the best material would be to print this item:

http://www.urbanchant.com/temp/dish.jpg

It's a dish, 8.5cm wide with 2mm thick walls and a ring of knurling around it. The final finish will mimic the look of machined aluminum. It will need to be able to stand up against a little bit of handling from time to time but it doesn't have to be completely rigid. I'm familiar with polyurethane casting resins and such but I have no idea how WSF, alumite or the other printing materials compare. Also, I do need a fair bit of smoothness so I was thinking that I might be able to undercoat with some spray filler to fill any pores if you all think that would work. I have already ruled out stainless due to the cost.

Thanks!
//Joe
 Topic: polyurethane synthetic resin
polyurethane synthetic resin [message #22188] Wed, 05 January 2011 21:00 UTC
avatar Silverbeam  is currently offline Silverbeam
Go to my shop
polyurethane synthetic resin would be awesome to have. then people could cast dolls. It would be neat to have it in a few colors as well.

but in the meantime, For people who has played around with the different materials, what would you say is the best match for this?

I want to try casting a doll, and the type of doll I'm trying to make is cast in resin.

SEE ETSY SHOP: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Silverbeam
 Topic: lost wax casting
lost wax casting [message #21760] Mon, 20 December 2010 21:58 UTC
avatar gpescador  is currently offline gpescador
Go to all my models
i'm looking to print a ring of pretty light guage with movable parts - chain-type connection - to then use as a positive in a lost wax cast.

has anyone tried this? what material should i use that would melt out for the cast and need the least finishing after casting?

thanks!
 Topic: Best Workflow from Mac
Best Workflow from Mac [message #19502] Thu, 21 October 2010 15:41 UTC
avatar nash.hurley  is currently offline nash.hurley
Go to all my models
I am working primarily in Sketchup and Rhino on a Mac and am looking for the best workflow to post files to Shapeways.

I have come across plugins like CADspan for Sketchup, but feel that there may be something better just in the export settings or file type (.dae, 3ds. stl) from Sketchup and Rhino which would help to reduce the cleanup in other programs like netfabb.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
 Topic: WSF - Nylon - stress relief
WSF - Nylon - stress relief [message #18993] Wed, 13 October 2010 09:54 UTC
avatar TugBoat  is currently offline TugBoat
Go to all my models
I was discussing 3D printing with a friend today in relation to a project that I am working on.

Her comment was that nylon when molded via traditional processes ends up with a fair amount of internal stresses in the finished part. These are typically relieved via some form of heat treatment (eg. boil in water and let cool slowly) post production.

Examples of applications where this was important was propellors and impellors that had a tendency to fly appart if not appropriate processed to relieve the internal stresses.

I know a lot depends on the precise material, and exactly how the material is processed, when it comes to issues like this.

So my questions are:

1) is any requirement for stress relief with the WSF material as processed by the SLS process?

2) if so, is it done by Shapeways?

3) if not, then what is the recommended procedure?

Many thanks,
Tim
 Topic: Resin casting with printed ice models?
icon3.gif  Resin casting with printed ice models? [message #17523] Fri, 10 September 2010 11:41 UTC
avatar lukas.suess  is currently offline lukas.suess
Go to my shop
Hi,

In the last livecasts you presented the superb new high detail materials which are to expect.
Now to complete your offered material options it would be great
if you would make the other end of the size spectrum accessible too.
(sorry to burry you with work suggestions)

In the Forum there seems to be quite an interest in cheap large scale printing:
Home » Support » Feedback » New Material für objects
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=3376&a mp;start=0&S=2c0ea75a372f131596fc926e93cb6996
Home » Community » General Discussion » Mcor Matrix Paper Printer (older thread)
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&S=ab1bf34 023a09984cc2342a770acbd7f&th=491&goto=1943

I'am interested in larger scale printing too,
so I thought about what process could be cheap in terms of material costs
and had a pretty unusual idea, which I want to share.

You could try out the following:
First print a negative form out of Water-ice
then use this form as a cast for a suitable resin.

Has this been tried or has been thought about it?

An experiment wouldn't take much effort if that where true:
http://www.shapeways.com/creator/icesculpturecreator
But sadly it's just an april hoax Grrr Smile

Nontheless cool ice printing is possible:
http://www.arch.mcgill.ca/prof/sijpkes/ice/
( you could fund the researchers there Wink )
Or is there already a comercial version of this aviable?

The benefits would be:
Water & Resin should be pretty cheap.
With different Fillings (possibly cheaper then resin) a multitude of materials could be produced.
The Removal of cast happens on it own => no manual cleaning labour.
The shape of the cast doesn't restrict the design space!
The detail should be acceptable although
detail isn't so critical for larger scale objects.

Of course some problems could arise:
The exothermic reaction heat may melt the ice.
Resin which cures at subzero temperatures probably
won't be as cheap as the one used in masses for boats?
With a quick search I found resins with a minimum curing temperature of 2°C which might work.
The manual handlig of resin may be too expensive.
Low temperatures rise the resins viscosity and so rise the minimum wallthickness.

What do you think?
 Topic: has anyone know how to upload a textured mesh
has anyone know how to upload a textured mesh [message #16907] Sun, 29 August 2010 08:38 UTC
avatar stevechan  is currently offline stevechan
Go to all my models
to Everyone

I just uploaded a textured mesh to shapeways(maya export dae file format), but the uploaded mesh cant show texture in shapeways. can anyone try it before? And teach me how to upload a textured mesh.

ManyThanks
 Topic: Minimum thickness on non structural parts
Minimum thickness on non structural parts [message #11188] Sun, 28 March 2010 20:06 UTC
avatar Schorhr  is currently offline Schorhr
Go to my shop
Short question;
Is it possible to print thiner parts then the specified minimum wall thickness, if it is not critical to the whole model stability?

I know of http://www.shapeways.com/model/96574/evil_purple_tentacle.ht ml where the tentacle/arms are a bit thinner.

I was thinking of smaller metal sew-on emblems and full color sandstone model figures for model train stuff.
http://www.nottoxic.com/wapcc/ae/aqua/thinprint.png (just quick sketches)
As they are so small themselves that there is nearly no weight/force stressing these parts, would it be possible?
What is the minimum tollerance?
 Topic: 3D Printing for Casting. Need some advice
3D Printing for Casting. Need some advice [message #9643] Sat, 06 February 2010 10:29 UTC
avatar boraz  is currently offline boraz
Go to all my models
Hi everyone. I modeled a custom ring in Rhino, which I wanna get casted in gold (it's like a family ring kind of thing), and I need an acutal solid model. From what I understand the best option for me would be wax printing, in order to use the wax model with the lost wax casting process, but as you know, Shapeways doesn't offer that material.
What are my options then? I saw they offer different kinds of plastic materials, and stainless steel. I just want the model to be detailed and the surface to be smooth.
Any advice would be appreciated.
thank you
 Topic: normals question
normals question [message #8663] Thu, 31 December 2009 13:52 UTC
avatar azurescorch  is currently offline azurescorch
Go to all my models
link to the Image

The top picture is incorrect in Blender but correct in the site's preview image.
The bottom picture is correct in Blender, but the normals are inverted in the preview image.

Will one not print? Or will the printer treat both versions the same and ignore the normal directions? Which one should be used?

This is odd as I've uploaded meshes made with blender before and never had this problem.
Pages (87): [ «    7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  22    »]

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.