Search Search  
Today's Messages (OFF)  | Unanswered Messages (ON)

Forum: General Discussion
 Topic: news around Dutch Design Week
news around Dutch Design Week [message #19521] Fri, 22 October 2010 09:32 UTC
avatar MichielCornelissen  is currently offline MichielCornelissen
Go to my shop
Hi all, I just released a newsletter around the Dutch Design Week event in which I'm participating with the good folk from Shapeways. If you like, have a read here:

http://www.michielcornelissen.com/2010_10_21_michiels_news.h tml

Best - hope to some of you there!

- Michiel

http://www.michielcornelissen.com/2010_10_21_michiels_news_files/41-2%20cloud%20production.jpg

www.michielcornelissen.com
twitter: @michiel_ontwerp
 Topic: Honda likes Etsy
Honda likes Etsy [message #19500] Thu, 21 October 2010 15:13 UTC
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
http://www.facebook.com/#!/Honda

I've heard (ok well seen) Etsy mentioned a few times. Well Honda likes them as well.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
 Topic: Another DIY printer
Another DIY printer [message #19340] Mon, 18 October 2010 23:05 UTC
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Someone built a printer based around a project and a liquid that reacts to UV. It projects a layer, raises the model a bit, resin flows, and another layer is projected. Really good for a home made printer, 0.1 mm layers and still some room to improve with the new glass he is waiting to get soon.
 Topic: Which is the true "UP"/ Z Direction for printing?
icon2.gif  Which is the true "UP"/ Z Direction for printing? [message #19031] Wed, 13 October 2010 19:56 UTC
avatar WildRoo  is currently offline WildRoo
Go to all my models
Which is the true "UP"/ Z Direction for printing: Height , Width, or Depth (in the order section on SW website)?

I ask because I've had several items printed, including three in Transparent Detail (Which is a lot more yellow then I thought) that had visible "stepping" across their side where they were laying down on their sides instead of standing upright.
(Before I got them the SW CS rep said they were having issues with this order and had to reprint them because they weren't printing with the expected quality.)

Topic: Smallest stop motion film
Smallest stop motion film [message #18597] Fri, 01 October 2010 10:10 UTC
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Check this page.
This is a stop motion film made by Aardman with a Nokia phone and a kind of microscope. The character (9 mm) has been 3D printed in all the positions and manually painted.
Impressive job...
 Topic: Color Exports with Maya and Meshlab tutorial (no 3ds!!)
Color Exports with Maya and Meshlab tutorial (no 3ds!!) [message #18573] Thu, 30 September 2010 07:00 UTC
avatar Michael_Milano  is currently offline Michael_Milano
Go to my shop
Finally, I found a way to export files for color printing without using 3ds Max in the pipeline for files. I used to export .vrml2 files out of 3ds, and it would "jumble" the geometry which is shown in the picture below. Exporting out of maya and meshlab, the model was as smooth as an .stl file

Here are the steps I took, I used a collada model out of maya, import into meshlab then export as an x3d.

http://www.opencollada.org/download.html - collada plugin
http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/ - meshlab download

1) First, size the file in Maya then export
2) Export as a collada file (.dae file)
3) Import into meshlab- there will be no texture on the model
4) Click on the Texture Parameter Tool on the top (view image)
5) Click 'browse' on the bottom right of the popup menu
6) Relocate the file (once in a while this will shut down meshlab, just reopen and it should work. My model is very high at 400k tris.)
7) Texture will appear, save as .X3D file!

index.php?t=getfile&id=5283&private=0

sorry the image is poor, I have to go to bed. hope this helps, the .vrml files' geometry coming out of 3ds max has been bugging me for a long time.

• Attachment: tut.jpg
    (Size: 517.47KB, Downloaded 755 time(s))

http://CGmodeling.com
 Topic: Model Testing Software
Model Testing Software [message #18549] Wed, 29 September 2010 13:31 UTC
avatar cncking  is currently offline cncking
Go to my shop
I'm curious - what do most of you guys/gals use to test your models before sending them off to Shapeways for a print?

I've opened many of my models in netfab and they look great... not sure how "accurate" what I see in netfab is vs real world. I'll of course do some real world testing but I can't check ALL my models (hundreds of them) and several are very large too.

Other than netfab, what else do any of you use to double-check things? I guess the same can be said about Shapeways's system too... if all looks as it should in both systems. Am I on holy ground to say "yes, it will work"?

Thanks,
Jon
http://WoodMarvels.com
 Topic: World Community Grid
World Community Grid [message #17765] Wed, 15 September 2010 11:43 UTC
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
Granted it's not really anything to do with 3D Printing or design, but I guess it's still something you can be doing while designing (like I am)!

I recently heard about the World Community Grid through Dinosaur Comics (I've joined their team). The World Community Grid is basically an infrastructure which allows non-profit organisations to tackle humanitarian issues for which they couldn't normally afford the computing power.

Basically, your computer requests data on a project from the WCG's server, it performs the necessary calculations, and sends the results back and asks for more work. This all just runs in the background using bits of your spare computer power.

Check it out, and you can help fight diseases while you work! Smile

Andy
 Topic: Renaissance festival
Renaissance festival [message #17394] Wed, 08 September 2010 00:51 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I went to Renaissance Festival. Drank, got drinking mug, took a couple pictures, got some ideasindex.php?t=getfile&id=4927&private=0

• Attachment: IMG_0114.jpg
    (Size: 957.10KB, Downloaded 518 time(s))

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
 Topic: 3 d printing south florida?
3 d printing south florida? [message #17378] Tue, 07 September 2010 12:36 UTC
avatar MANUELDTHOMAS  is currently offline MANUELDTHOMAS
Go to my shop
Hello

My name is Manuel and I am looking for someone in the south florida region where I might learn the basics of 3 d printing and or laser cutting

thanks in advance
 Topic: REALLY COOL ROBOT T-SHIRT- needs your vote!
REALLY COOL ROBOT T-SHIRT- needs your vote! [message #17267] Sat, 04 September 2010 17:39 UTC
avatar pippi  is currently offline pippi
Go to all my models
This Design is for all robot lovers.It's funny and awesome. I think you guys will like this. I did. I ask that you vote for this for it. The link below is just for the t-shirt itself. You will have to register (free - doesn't appear to require email validation) before you can vote.
http://www.designbyhumans.com/vote/detail/78682?page=1
Thank's
 Topic: 3d printing insect wings
3d printing insect wings [message #16687] Thu, 26 August 2010 00:30 UTC
avatar er1c  is currently offline er1c
Go to my shop
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19183-for-insects-pres s-print.html

I am waiting for shapeway to eventually provide printing at this small scale detail / thickness Smile

Topic: Shapeways Live August 18th now online
Shapeways Live August 18th now online [message #16453] Fri, 20 August 2010 14:21 UTC
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
In this episode we cover our new materials sampler kit and new packaging for gold plated models. I also explain some of the issues with printing models with thin walls.

Playtime: 45 minutes.

http://www.shapeways.com/community/live-archive/august-18th- 2010

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
 Topic: Meetup.com: contests, special offer deadlines added
Meetup.com: contests, special offer deadlines added [message #15921] Wed, 11 August 2010 14:23 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
index.php?t=getfile&id=4486&private=0

Hi,

I just added all our upcoming contest deadlines and end dates for special offers to the Shapeways Meetup page. We've got so much stuff going on, that I lost track myself Wink

And I learned a cool powertip today: you can subscribe to the Shapeways calendar! Head over to the Calendar page and scroll all the way to the bottom. At 'Subscribe to a feed of this calendar', click on iCal or Outlook and you'll be subscribed. Whenever we add new events, they'll appear automatically. Saweet!

Bart

Topic: funny gallery behaviour
funny gallery behaviour [message #15834] Mon, 09 August 2010 15:50 UTC
Go to my shop
Not really important, just weird... I noticed that in the gallery (all time, sorted by popularity) Batsheba's gyroid keeps popping in and out of existence. When its there, it's usually in 3d position or something, I think (it's gone now, so I can't check).

Topic: Meeting Shapeways users in your area?
Meeting Shapeways users in your area? [message #15776] Sat, 07 August 2010 06:17 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

would you like to meet fellow Shapeways users in your area? Or have you already scheduled some kind of event, like a presentation, training, presence at a conference etc?

You can list them all on our new Meetup page:

http://www.meetup.com/Shapeways/

If you'd just like to test the waters before organizing an event, you can post an 'Idea':

http://www.meetup.com/Shapeways/ideas/

People can vote on your idea and once enough people are interested we can turn it into an actual event for you.

See you there!

Bart

Topic: unlimited design contest
unlimited design contest [message #15691] Thu, 05 August 2010 18:00 UTC
avatar photosfromrob  is currently offline photosfromrob
Go to my shop
I know there are Shapeways people who can ace this.
http://unlimiteddesigncontest.org/en
 Topic: Flattr
Flattr [message #15576] Tue, 03 August 2010 08:00 UTC
avatar ibec  is currently offline ibec
Go to my shop
Almost every day I get inspired by other shapies' ideas and creations. This doesn't necessarily mean that I want to order each inspiring model, but I wouldn't mind giving the shapies a "real" credit for their work. So while discovering Flattr this morning, I thought that this would be a great integration feature for the SW site. The way it works is described on the introduction page. So you can set a monthly Flattr amount, and that amount gets equally shared by all the things you flattr that month.

cheers, Ivo
 Topic: Australian Shapeways Users
Australian Shapeways Users [message #15104] Fri, 23 July 2010 01:32 UTC
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi there,

I just wanted to get a quick idea of how many Aussies we have using Shapeways and if you are interested in seeing if we can drum up some communal attention (& sales) locally?

I may be able to assist in getting some local exposure.

If you are interested shoot me an email duann(at)shapeways.com with your username and location along with any ideas you might have?

Cheers

Duann

index.php?t=getfile&id=4254&private=0

Duann Scott

Topic: euro's and VAT suggestion
euro's and VAT suggestion [message #15034] Wed, 21 July 2010 15:22 UTC
Go to my shop
As it is that time again, I'm working on collecting all my bills etc for VAT/BTW (as we call it in Holland) processing. If you're in my situation, you'll know what I mean, if not, be happy you don't need to Smile

Two things could make my life a bit easier:
- if every Shapeways invoice would contain all amounts, so with VAT, without VAT, VAT amount IN EURO's as well (according to the day conversion). It takes me a few hours (I'm slow) to do this and it could be automatized relatively easily, I imagine.
- If I would get an automatic overview of shapeways sales per quarter, including VAT which Shapeways has paid me in that quarter.

Cheers - Michiel

Topic: Which of the different materials are paintable or glue-able?
Which of the different materials are paintable or glue-able? [message #14821] Fri, 16 July 2010 15:25 UTC
avatar spacephrawg  is currently offline spacephrawg
Go to all my models
Which can be painted and/or glued?

Also how do they hold up in UV light? I know resins don't like the UV as much as some plastics do.

Thank you again!
 Topic: 50 Free SIGGRAPH 2010 Tradeshow Tickets
50 Free SIGGRAPH 2010 Tradeshow Tickets [message #14707] Tue, 13 July 2010 19:05 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Do you live in the Los Angeles area and would you like to visit the Shapeways team at SIGGRAPH 2010? We're giving away 50 free tickets to the Tradeshow. Check out this blog post:

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/512-50-Free-SIGGRAPH- 2010-Tradeshow-Tickets.html

Bart

Topic: Shapeways Live Chat
Shapeways Live Chat [message #14699] Tue, 13 July 2010 08:51 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Looking for real-time help, or would you just like to hang out with some fellow Shapeways users? Check out our Chatbox! Time permitting you may see some Shapeways team members there as well.

See you there Wink

Bart

PS: if you prefer, you can also use a regular IRC client. Just connect to lightirc.com and go to channel #Shapeways.

[Updated on: Thu, 05 August 2010 09:36 UTC]

Topic: Last night's webcast now online, chatbox open
Last night's webcast now online, chatbox open [message #14538] Thu, 08 July 2010 08:48 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

last night's webcast was big fun! You'll find the entire episode here:

http://www.shapeways.com/community/live

Also, everyone really enjoyed the 'real-time' interaction with other members on the chatbox, so we've decided to keep it open for now. Just go to Shapeways Live, enter a nickname and you're good to go!

Shapeways team members may hang out there as well and we love to chat with you! There's just this pesky little thing called 'work', so we may not always have time to reply immediately..

Enjoy!

Bart

PS: If you're familiar with IRC you can also use an IRC client to chat. Log in to lightirc.com and go to #Shapeways.

Topic: Go Netherlands for the World Cup!!
Go Netherlands for the World Cup!! [message #14473] Wed, 07 July 2010 01:08 UTC
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
In my youth I watched the amazing Orange Men almost win the World Cup in '74 and '78... damn they were good. Is this their year? Problem is ever since England got kicked out I have been rooting for Spain. I don't want to see a Ned / Spain final but I also don't want to see Germany beat Spain tomorrow! Something has to give!... What a quandry...

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
 Topic: CNN Money video on 3D printing
CNN Money video on 3D printing [message #14090] Tue, 29 June 2010 18:03 UTC
avatar roofoo  is currently offline roofoo
Go to my shop
I found this short news video on CNN, about the 3D printing industry. They make it sound like it's a brand new technology when it's not really, but still it's interesting.

http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2010/06/28/t_tt_3d_pri nting.cnnmoney/

http://www.eyephoriadesign.com http://www.shapeways.com/shops/eyephoriadesign http://www.etsy.com/shop/eyephoriadesign
 Topic: iphone ipod flash
iphone ipod flash [message #13748] Wed, 16 June 2010 21:33 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
for those that want to view sites with flash such as shapeways get browsecloud. using it now. takes some getting use to but works well when you want flash

Topic: UPS adress + telephone number
UPS adress + telephone number [message #13665] Mon, 14 June 2010 16:52 UTC
avatar vaclav.mazany  is currently offline vaclav.mazany
Go to my shop
Is there a way to send packages from Shapeways with UTF-8 characters in adress and name ?

these : ěščřžýáíé ?

I need to call them every time a receive a package, to correct my adress because they get wrong adress names.

Plus would it be possible to send them even my phone number, to contact me whenever needed ?
 Topic: costumizable Bowie the Bunny
costumizable Bowie the Bunny [message #13245] Fri, 28 May 2010 15:52 UTC
avatar BAROBA  is currently offline BAROBA
Go to my shop
Hi all,

After a lot of effort by me and Shapeways-support (thanks a lot,guys and girls!) i can finally show the bowie that can be me in your own image or style!

The proces:
You need to download the zip-file.
In it you find a psd.
Psd's can be opened with the Gimp and many other programs.
And then follow the instruction in the file.

I hope some of you will test it out:)

lhttp://www.shapeways.com/modules/udesign/utils/openfile.php?id=122695&f=122695_small_v0.jpg

Cheers,
Rob
 Topic: Oproep beeldend kunstenaars
Oproep beeldend kunstenaars [message #12994] Wed, 19 May 2010 10:20 UTC
avatar EricvanStraaten  is currently offline EricvanStraaten
Go to my shop
Voor de gerenommeerde kunsthal De Vishal in Haarlem wil ik graag een expositie organiseren met Nederlandse beeldend kunstenaars die in hun werk gebruikmaken van 3D-prints (als onderdeel of als stand alone). Dit voorstel zou 10 juni aanstaande binnen moeten zijn, dus ik zoek met spoed mogelijke deelnemers aan deze expositie.

Dus: ben je een autonoom werkend beeldend kunstenaar die gebruikmaakt van 3D-prints in je werk, neem dan contact op met Eric van Straaten via info@eyedoll.nl

www.ericvanstraaten.com
 Topic: Software
Software [message #12921] Mon, 17 May 2010 14:45 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
When helping people on the forum, one thing I always ask first, unless it's already stated in their question, is what software they are using. I think it would be helpful if there was a part in our profile where we could enter this and it could show up under our name or picture or something. That way it would be easier to asses the situation and the people with the best knowledge could help quicker.

Topic: Question about alumide and 3D printed Stainless Steel (Electrical resistivity)
Question about alumide and 3D printed Stainless Steel (Electrical resistivity) [message #12148] Mon, 26 April 2010 16:28 UTC
avatar proteus  is currently offline proteus
Go to all my models
As an electrical engineer I'm naturally curious toward new ways of circuit prototyping (I'm thinking : custom connectors)
Has anyone tried to measure the resistivity of these materials?

Thanks
 Topic: Does anyone need an engineering intern?
Does anyone need an engineering intern? [message #12088] Sun, 25 April 2010 05:28 UTC
avatar Ushanka  is currently offline Ushanka
Go to my shop
Alright, I'm kind of at wit's end here. I have applied to dozens of research positions or engineering internships, because I want to do something academic this summer. Every place has turned me down for one reason or another (I'm too young, I don't have enough experience, and so on).

So, this is my last-ditch effort to find a summer gig. Do you know anyone who could use an engineering intern this summer? I'm most interested in structural or materials sciences at the moment, but that doesn't mean I'd turn down any other offers!

Right now, I'm a sophomore engineering major at Harvey Mudd College, a small but highly respected school in southern California. If you have any leads for me, please tell me and I'll send you my rsum.
 Topic: Shapeways Flickr Group
Shapeways Flickr Group [message #12036] Fri, 23 April 2010 12:52 UTC
avatar bitstoatoms  is currently offline bitstoatoms
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi all,

Also wanted to make sure everyone is aware of the Shapeways Flickr Group.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/shapeways/pool/

Nice place to share/store detail shots of your items and link them back to your shop if they are for sale..

Hope to see you all there.

Duann

Duann Scott

Topic: Shapeways on FOX Business TV
Shapeways on FOX Business TV [message #11745] Wed, 14 April 2010 07:24 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Pete was interviewed live on FOX Business TV yesterday! Check out the video of the item on our blog:

http://shapeways.com/blog/archives/418-Shapeways-on-FOX-Busi ness-TV.html

Enjoy!

Bart

index.php?t=getfile&id=3281&private=0

[Updated on: Wed, 14 April 2010 07:29 UTC]

Topic: Interview of Peter at PSFK conf
Interview of Peter at PSFK conf [message #11633] Sat, 10 April 2010 16:28 UTC
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
An interview of Peter, speaking - among other things - about the new secret material...
http://www.psfk.com/2010/04/psfk-conference-speaker-intervie w-peter-weijmarshausen.html
Can't wait... Twisted Evil
 Topic: Objet
Objet [message #11547] Thu, 08 April 2010 18:45 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Got this in my email today http://www.web-view.net/Show/0XB0605F8B04E23C103571A2D3078E6 E6D9848F8F67F5EAA6A943EC8ABF6203C63.htm

Topic: Max Script to hard limit model thickness
Max Script to hard limit model thickness [message #11486] Tue, 06 April 2010 15:50 UTC
avatar viel mehr  is currently offline viel mehr
Go to all my models
My model is too thin in 3dsmax7. I tried this meshlab tutorial which bloats all of the model. Works but looks ugly.

Isn't there a max script to just have a hard limiter? So everything below a given thickness is being converted to the given thickness, whithout generally bloating the object.

Or can't someone write it here, it seems that there is 3dsmax competence around here...
 Topic: a link for Joris
a link for Joris [message #10727] Sat, 13 March 2010 22:33 UTC
avatar tree  is currently offline tree
Go to my shop
www.profounddevices.com

mendel parts
 Topic: Cadspan Sketchup Plugin
Cadspan Sketchup Plugin [message #10611] Thu, 11 March 2010 00:22 UTC
avatar Schorhr  is currently offline Schorhr
Go to my shop
I am not really sure where this belongs- either here, or in applications- but I stumbled across this free plugin for Sketchup, that makes a manifold, printable version out of regular models that usualy cause trouble:

http://www.cadspan.com/ (Pro version and free sketchup plugin)

Demo Video: http://www.cadspan.com/pluginguide

It seems to be webbased aka uploading to their server, with two settings (Gap fill, Resolution) and Upload/Download-Buttons, plus tabs for the pro version, community and 3d fixing & printing service.

As it is late, I was only able to test a box with a hole, and the returning stl looks wierd in meshlab (lots of polygons, large hole, might work better on objects with small gaps that consist of multiple objects?)

I might play arround with it some more tomorrow.
Anyone here using it?
Pages (88): [ «    4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19    »]

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.