Search Search  
Today's Messages (OFF)  | Unanswered Messages (ON)

Forum: General Discussion
 Topic: Microsoft add 3D Printing Support to Windows 8.1
Microsoft add 3D Printing Support to Windows 8.1 [message #70551] Wed, 26 June 2013 18:08 UTC
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Microsoft is doing its bit to help push forward the 3D printing revolution, by adding in native 3D printer support in Windows 8.1. A new API will let developers on its platform put 3D printing capabilities right into their apps, so that you'll be able to print that elegant ashtray you're modelling right on the spot. The API will help consumers using devices including those from Makerbot and Form Labs create their own stuff even more easily at home...

FULL STORY HERE

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
 Topic: Baltimore Meetup
Baltimore Meetup [message #70267] Fri, 21 June 2013 14:34 UTC
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
We had a nice meetup in Baltimore last night. Held by Todd Blatt of Custom3dstuff.com and with a special guest Sherry Huss, VP of Maker Media. Glad I took the 2 hour drive out for it! If you are in the area, you have to check out the host site, the Baltimore Node. These guys are seriously cool, and have lots of cool toys. We discussed Shapeways, 3D printing in general, 3D scanning, Todd's google glass, and even printed a GoPro mount for one of the Node members dog on a Makerbot. Todd had some Elasto pieces that Duann had given him to share, and I had my first piece of Elasto that I just received yesterday (I'll share that with you guys when I'm done coolifying it) Don't forget, if you are planning on or going to a local meetup, let us know! So we can send you some cool stuff to show off Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=34822&private=0
Left is Sherry Huss Center is Todd Blatt

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
 Topic: Shapeways Photo Contest
Shapeways Photo Contest [message #70037] Tue, 18 June 2013 15:39 UTC
avatar dgilsanz  is currently offline dgilsanz
Go to all my models
I'm working here for summer
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you guys know about the contest that's happening now on our Facebook page.

Take a picture of you with a product from your shop and upload it to our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Shapeways?fref=ts). The shop owner whose photo has the most likes by next Monday morning wins some Shapeways $!

You can see more info on the blog here: http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/2131-Calling-all-Shop -Owners-for-a-chance-to-win-Shapeways-!.html

We're looking forward to seeing your pictures!

[Updated on: Tue, 18 June 2013 16:30 UTC]

Topic: My little tool for printable coins, medals, pendants etc.
My little tool for printable coins, medals, pendants etc. [message #69857] Fri, 14 June 2013 21:24 UTC
avatar eXtrudy  is currently offline eXtrudy
Go to all my models
Hi,

I hope it's okay if I'm doing a little bit of advertising for a free tool I've created the last two years. I always found it quite hard to create simple objects like coins with powerful 3d applications like blender. Especially if photos and drawings are involved. I tried to make the workflow as simple as possible. It would be great if you could check it out. some tutorials are also available on youtube.

video tutorials:

http://youtu.be/-J0KrzjRJ-g
http://youtu.be/JwTFq7FB8Os
http://youtu.be/JdBJwMfQMgM

download:

http://www.extrudy.net/resources/eXtrudy_0.9.0.15864.exe (Installer)
http://www.extrudy.net/resources/eXtrudy_0.9.0.15864.zip (Zip)

requirements:

Microsoft Windows XP or higher
OpenGL compatible graphics card
Screen resolution 1280x1024 or higher
1 Gigabyte RAM

best regards,

Hendrik

www.facebook.com/eXtrudy
 Topic: Shapeways Crew Meetup: June 11, Lappeenranta, Finland
Shapeways Crew Meetup: June 11, Lappeenranta, Finland [message #69527] Mon, 10 June 2013 12:01 UTC
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

there'll be a Shapeways Crew community-powered meetup in Lappeenranta, Finland tomorrow, thanks to the awesome Heidi Piili!

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/2105-Hello-Finland!-L ets-Meet-on-June-11!.html

What did you say? We need more meetups in Scandinavia? Absolutely! Get in touch with us and we'll set one up together Smile

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
 Topic: Need 3-D design help
Need 3-D design help [message #69264] Wed, 05 June 2013 22:11 UTC
avatar skaman1  is currently offline skaman1
Go to all my models
I'm a 2-D graphic designer who creates .eps artwork and would like them to be printable in 3-D.
Is there anyone willing to help me with this?
The attached photos show what I'm interested in printing. Dimensions when the metal is flat are
1-11/16" wide X 2-9/16" high x .020 thick.

Scott

• Attachment: Badge 3.JPG
    (Size: 459.46KB, Downloaded 44 time(s))

Topic: Calling any Long Island designers!
Calling any Long Island designers! [message #69255] Wed, 05 June 2013 18:34 UTC
avatar louiepushpause  is currently offline louiepushpause
Go to all my models
Hi! My name is Louie Dane and I'm a videojournalist with Push Pause Long Island, a hyperlocal feature news show that airs on Verizon's FiOS1. I'm looking for an enthusiastic designer based on Long Island to be the subject of a story I'm doing about Shapeways and how they are enabling innovation for small businesses in the area.

If you live on Long Island and have printed your designs with Shapeways before, please shoot me an email at louie.dane@pushpausetv.com so we can discuss the story!

Thanks,

Louie Dane
Videojournalist, Push Pause TV
Verizon FiOS1 Long Island
Rosenblum TV
louie.dane@pushpausetv.com
 Topic: 3D Printers for Peace: open-ended contest of MTU
3D Printers for Peace: open-ended contest of MTU [message #69161] Tue, 04 June 2013 12:13 UTC
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
http://www.mtu.edu/materials/printersforpeace/?utm_source=3d p4p_vanity&utm_campaign=3dp4p_vanity&utm_medium=3dp4 p_vanity

Quote:

3D printing is changing the world. Unfortunately, the only thing many people know about 3D printing is that it can be used to make guns. We want to celebrate designs that will make lives better, not snuff them out.
What is the Printers for Peace Contest?

We are challenging the 3D printing community to design things that advance the cause of peace. This is an open-ended contest, but if you'd like some ideas, ask yourself what Mother Theresa, Martin Luther King, or Gandhi would make if they'd had access to 3D printing.

low-cost medical devices
tools to help pull people out of poverty
designs that can reduce racial conflict
objects to improve energy efficiency or renewable energy sources to reduce wars over oil
tools that would reduce military conflict and spending while making us all safer and more secure
things that boost sustainable economic development (e.g. designs for appropriate technology in the developing world to reduce scarcity)
 Topic: Good Model Scanner in San Diego
Good Model Scanner in San Diego [message #68333] Mon, 20 May 2013 00:12 UTC
avatar sdray  is currently offline sdray
Go to all my models
I already have a model that I want to have scanned. Then I want to modify that design. Know anyone good in the San Diego area? Thanks!
 Topic: New 'Designer for Hire' column
New 'Designer for Hire' column [message #68150] Thu, 16 May 2013 13:41 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey folks!

we have been thinking of ways to promote designers who offer their services as a freelancer. Instead of waiting for the perfect technical solution (which we WILL provide at some time in the future!), we decided to move ahead and open a new category on our blog.

So as of this week you'll see regular additions to the 'Designer for Hire' column. In here, our community's top designers will present themselves. They'll mention their specialties, show examples of their previous projects and share references by existing clients.

Check it out: http://www.shapeways.com/blog/categories/52-Designer-for-Hir e

We'll be adding new people to this list weekly.

If you have 3D modeling skills and would like to offer your services as a designer for hire please email duann at shapeways dot com with the subject Designer for Hire.

Enjoy!

Bart

Topic: Meetups in UK: London, Newcastle
Meetups in UK: London, Newcastle [message #66146] Mon, 15 April 2013 15:15 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey folks,

we have two meetups coming up in the UK this month:

London, Thursday April 25th
http://www.meetup.com/Shapeways/events/114437462/

Newcastle, Saturday April 27th
http://www.meetup.com/Shapeways/events/112818902/

It would be really nice to meet you at either of them. Drinks are on us! (Well, the first few rounds are, knowing you English people Wink

Bart

Topic: Maya 2012 scale importing to Shapeways scale OBJ
Maya 2012 scale importing to Shapeways scale OBJ [message #65918] Wed, 10 April 2013 19:14 UTC
avatar TracNguyen  is currently offline TracNguyen
Go to all my models
Hi,

I am new to this and I was wondering if you can help me out. I check on tutorials on how to export Maya obj file to Shapeways website, but could not find a good tutorial that explain all the steps in details. And how Maya scale was compare to Shapeways scale.

1. Can you confirm that in Maya each square grid is equal to 1 mm in Shapeways? I notice this when I uploaded Maya obj file to your website. Also can you confirm on your site that it rounds up the size and not show that true size the model is. Example: If the model actually size is 2.36 H x 35.36 D x .953 W. Shapeways website would be 2.4 H x 35.4 D x .9 W.

2. When printing, does Shapeways print actually model size stated on the website? Is there a size reduction?

3. How would I go about printing sub d models? Do have have to smooth the model out as much as possible and exported as obj? Or take it in Zbrush to smooth model?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Trac Nguyen
 Topic: Would like to ship to an address other than my own.
Would like to ship to an address other than my own. [message #65861] Wed, 10 April 2013 01:19 UTC
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
One of Shapeways' competitors allows makers to ship items to another country besides the one they reside in. Is there are chance you guys will start offering this? The reason I ask is that the vast majority of my customers are US based and I'm in Canada. I have to have items shipped to me, get robbed by UPS, and then ship to the US, of course increasing my costs in the process. I would love to be able to simply put in the customer's address and have it shipped direct.

And before anyone asks, yes, there is a reason why they don't order direct from Shapeways. Sometimes I arrange this and sometimes I cannot.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
 Topic: 3D accessories for figurines?
3D accessories for figurines? [message #65857] Tue, 09 April 2013 22:42 UTC
avatar spiralsupward  is currently offline spiralsupward
Go to all my models
Hi folks! I am interested in creating a series of figures using the same model, but with different accessories (hats, outfits, items, etc) - I am wondering if there is a resource for 3D accessories that can readily be added to models here on shapeways, or if there is a good resource for this type of thing that someone could recommend. Having a large selection of "customization" items all in one place would be a big plus, rather than hunting down each and every item, one by one. Also, if there are any 3D artists out there who can assist with something like this, I have a small budget to work with.

Thanks! -Chris
 Topic: Military Clutch Measurements
Military Clutch Measurements [message #64933] Tue, 26 March 2013 19:42 UTC
avatar Matt_Dancsecs  is currently offline Matt_Dancsecs
Go to all my models
I am designing a military clutch pin and need the measurements for the length and diameter of the thin post the clutch attaches to.
Thanks for your help!
 Topic: Parametric Parts
Parametric Parts [message #64767] Sun, 24 March 2013 18:28 UTC
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
An interesting site: parametric parts.

Unfortunately not directly hooked up to Shapeways yet, but perhaps only a matter of time (and it working properly!!!).
 Topic: Gladiator Figurines
Gladiator Figurines [message #64607] Thu, 21 March 2013 17:45 UTC
avatar madigajm  is currently offline madigajm
Go to all my models
Does anybody know if someone has made the small figurines/totems that Maximus uses to pray for his family in the Gladiator? I just think they would be great little figurines.
 Topic: Relationship between the Hobbyist and Proffesional Designer
Relationship between the Hobbyist and Proffesional Designer [message #64591] Thu, 21 March 2013 15:06 UTC
avatar adrianne  is currently offline adrianne
Go to all my models
I'm a design student and for my dissertation I would really appreciate replies to a few questions:

Do you consider yourself to be an industrial designer?

Would you seek the services of a professional designer?

Do you design for pleasure or for profit?

Has 3D printing made you more aware of design principles, (cost/materials)?

Do you expect more interaction between the hobbyist and designer?

Thank you very much!
Adrianne
 Topic: Donderdag 4 april: 3D Print Event @ FabLab Enschede
Donderdag 4 april: 3D Print Event @ FabLab Enschede [message #64485] Wed, 20 March 2013 15:18 UTC
avatar Leonie_FabLab_Enschede  is currently offline Leonie_FabLab_Enschede
Go to all my models
Op donderdag 4 april, van 16.00 tot 20.30 uur, vindt bij Saxion in Enschede een 3D-Print Event plaats in het FabLab met als thema het ABC van het 3d-printen.

Informatiemarkt, demonstraties en presentaties
Van 16.00 – 20.30 uur vindt de informatiemarkt plaats. Op de informatiemarkt krijgen bezoekers een overzicht van de 3d-printtechnieken. Professionele 3d-print bedrijven als Heijcon, CNC Speedform, 3dPrintCompany, Igepa en VDM Kunststoftechniek informeren bezoekers graag over de mogelijkheden die de technieken bieden. Ook vinden diverse demonstraties plaats. Daarnaast wordt aandacht besteed aan de software, want wat is er nodig voor het ontwerp? Zo wordt bijvoorbeeld SolidWorks gedemonstreerd door Cad2M.
Om 16.30 uur, 18.00 uur en 19.30 uur wordt een presentatie gegeven door Rene Groothedde van Rapid Manufacturing Center (RMCenter). Tijdens de presentatie wordt ingegaan op de marktontwikkelingen en worden diverse voorbeelden getoond van het professioneel gebruik van 3d-printen.

Informatie en aanmelden
Het 3D-Print Event op donderdag 4 april duurt van 16.00 tot 20.30 uur. Bezoeken van het 3D-Print Event is gratis, maar aanmelding is gewenst. Hierbij geldt vol = vol. Aanmelden kan via het aanmeldformulier te vinden op http://formulieren.saxion.nl/3dprint. FabLab Enschede is gevestigd in het Saxion-gebouw aan de M.H. Tromplaan 28 in Enschede.
 Topic: model could not be print (i use SketchUp)
model could not be print (i use SketchUp) [message #64402] Tue, 19 March 2013 02:38 UTC
avatar cnomis  is currently offline cnomis
Go to my shop
Embarassed i m newbie of here & SketchUp either, i wanna do a ball joints (like that use on Revotech toys)connect around a spin.

after lots of study, i hollow 6 hole on the spin, however, due to the thin wall issue, it could not be printed. i dunno how to fix it in my limited knowledge of 3D. so i post & hope u seniors could advice or fix it for me.

i just miss this one to complete my set, so poor. i ll appreciate if any one help. thx a lot.

here s the file:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/618217/Set_axis.skp

• Attachment: 553100.JPG
    (Size: 50.56KB, Downloaded 20 time(s))

Topic: Scanning
Scanning [message #64375] Mon, 18 March 2013 20:58 UTC
avatar hazelman  is currently offline hazelman
Go to all my models
Hi guys new to this Razz . trying to get my head around it the bit that confuses me is the scanning what equipment do you use to scan.
thanks
Frederick
 Topic: A free, once-weekly 3D printing newsletter
A free, once-weekly 3D printing newsletter [message #64141] Fri, 15 March 2013 11:04 UTC
avatar philipDS  is currently offline philipDS
Go to all my models
Hey guys!

I am the curator of a weekly 3D Printing newsletter. Every week, I cover the most interesting news and products related to 3D printing. I also have a blog at http://blog.3dprintingletter.com/. For instance, I have interviewed a Project Manager at Makerbot. You can read the interview here: http://blog.3dprintingletter.com/2013/03/12/an-interview-wit h-tracy-turner-project-manager-at-makerbot/

Subscribe for free here: http://www.3dprintingletter.com/

Cheers,
Philip
 Topic: can we chrome plating Frosted Ultra Detail material?
can we chrome plating Frosted Ultra Detail material? [message #64068] Thu, 14 March 2013 12:15 UTC
avatar midengineaddict  is currently offline midengineaddict
Go to all my models
can we chrome plating Frosted Ultra Detail material?
Did someone ever did it?
post pics if you have some
 Topic: Science News cover story on 3DP mentions Shapeways
Science News cover story on 3DP mentions Shapeways [message #63532] Fri, 08 March 2013 06:48 UTC
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Science News' cover story this week is on 3DP. It's pretty good journalism I think. (If I can say that without bein' a big douche -- full disclosure I did get a mention.)

Also mentioned, and reviewed in the same issue, is Hod Lipson's new book.

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
 Topic: Objet / Stratasys FDM / Projet owners local to the NY / NJ area?
Objet / Stratasys FDM / Projet owners local to the NY / NJ area? [message #63125] Sun, 03 March 2013 00:39 UTC
avatar fly2future  is currently offline fly2future
Go to all my models
I'm looking to work with a local shop that owns either an Objet, Stratasys FDM or Projet printer for quick-turn around designs. Must be located in the tri-state area.

I would use Shapeways but when I need something turned around in 1-2 days, Shapeways is not possible.

thank you.
 Topic: color conversion for Fullcolor Sandstone
color conversion for Fullcolor Sandstone [message #62194] Sat, 16 February 2013 18:35 UTC
avatar Keymaker  is currently offline Keymaker
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
Hi.

i am experimenting with some colored models but when i upload it grey is displaying much darker then it should be.

what color scale/code do you use? or anything that can assure me how it will be printed.

model: http://www.shapeways.com/model/923901/nyan-cat.html

PS: don't know where put this question...

The only thing that limits us is our imagination.
 Topic: ProtoLabs Whitepaper on how to choose a prototyping process
ProtoLabs Whitepaper on how to choose a prototyping process [message #61973] Wed, 13 February 2013 17:19 UTC
avatar denali3ddesign  is currently offline denali3ddesign
Go to my shop
Registration required, but otherwise its free: Prototyping Process | Choosing the best process for your project ~10 pages of info.

I found it most useful as a resource on how to choose a material. Its similar to Shapeways Materials page, but with more technical information like strength (PSI), and detailed descriptions of each print process.

If you're new to 3D printing, learn the secrets from a professional. Get my book "3D Printing with SketchUp"
 Topic: 3d printed nylon filament?
3d printed nylon filament? [message #61713] Sun, 10 February 2013 02:24 UTC
avatar fly2future  is currently offline fly2future
Go to all my models
Has anybody yet 3d printed in nylon filament? Is it even on the market yet? I know nylon melts at a higher temp than ABS, so not sure what's possible? Btw does nylon filament have the same material properties as sls polyamide nylon powder?
 Topic: Shapeways World Meetup: 48 Meetups so far!!
Shapeways World Meetup: 48 Meetups so far!! [message #61601] Fri, 08 February 2013 14:30 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
index.php?t=getfile&id=26880&private=0

Our World Meetup is growing fast! We now have over 48 meetups happening all over the world - check out the list:

http://www.meetup.com/ShapewaysCommunity/details/867572/

Join an existing meeting or start your own! To discuss the organisation of the event, please use this thread:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=12532& amp;start=0&

See you on the 28th Wink

Bart

Topic: Community Journal #2 Published
Community Journal #2 Published [message #61573] Fri, 08 February 2013 09:44 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi all,

we just published the second edition of the Shapeways Community journal. We collected the best of your stories on the forum and social media and compiled them into a nice read. This month we're covering the Shapeways World Meetup day, an amazing collection of WWI miniature airplanes, a free PDF magazine from the Blender community focusing on 3D printing, printing Second Life jewelry, a mindblowing sculpture and a quick report of a visit by a community member to our Eindhoven facility.

We hope you'll enjoy it. If you have a suggestion for the next edition, please leave a comment!

Bart, Michael and Natalia

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/1911-Community-Journa l-2.html

Topic: TED Talks on future of 3D Printing
TED Talks on future of 3D Printing [message #61544] Thu, 07 February 2013 22:37 UTC
avatar Luke McNiven  is currently offline Luke McNiven
Go to all my models
Hi Shapesmiths,

I am relatively new here but a big fan of 3D printing, this is one revolution I want in on at ground level.
I came across these videos yesterday, while I presume many may have seen them I thought them worth sharing.
I apologize if this has been shared already but I had to make sure everyone got to see these.

Are we on the verge of 3D printed medicine, limbs, weapons, food, drugs, plants, viruses and perhaps one day even life?
These 7 short presentations from TED discuss various current and future applications for 3D printing, Its as informative and inspiring as it is scary.

TED Blog: 7 Talks on the wonders of 3D Printing

Enjoy!
 Topic: Lapel pin dimensions
icon4.gif  Lapel pin dimensions [message #61279] Sun, 03 February 2013 19:56 UTC
avatar GarySG  is currently offline GarySG
Go to my shop
I'm at the beginning of a project to design a lapel pin for a local business, but I can't find the dimensions to make the pointy section at the back that attaches to the butterfly clutch back. Does anyone have knowledge of such dimensions? Or of where to find it? I need the diameter, lengths, etc.
Thanks!

"Hm, I'm so hungry I could eat an entire cow. Gerard, fire up the printer!"
 Topic: Rubber like material
Rubber like material [message #61228] Sat, 02 February 2013 07:33 UTC
avatar TRAP_73  is currently offline TRAP_73
Go to my shop
Hello friends, i want to know if anybody use a material like rubber, for use in a 1:18 model car tire.

Thanks you very much.

[Updated on: Sat, 02 February 2013 07:35 UTC]

Topic: 3D Sculptures of Deadly Diseases
3D Sculptures of Deadly Diseases [message #61156] Fri, 01 February 2013 05:05 UTC
avatar vivalaevolucion  is currently offline vivalaevolucion
Go to my shop
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=deadly-dise ases-are-less-scary-when-2013-01&WT.mc_id=SA_CAT_TECH_20130129&posted=1#comment
 Topic: And in this week's news
And in this week's news [message #60602] Wed, 23 January 2013 20:15 UTC
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Architect plans 3D-printed buildings

"The buildings are designed to resemble a giant mobius strip - a continuous loop with only one side.

Janjaap Ruijssenaars hopes to create the buildings, which he estimates will cost 4-5 million euros (£3.3- £4.2m), all around the world.
"

Read more at - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21121061

Awesome!

Paul

Topic: Shapeways models and objects now integrated in 3d printing search engine
Shapeways models and objects now integrated in 3d printing search engine [message #60312] Wed, 16 January 2013 19:38 UTC
avatar aschmid  is currently offline aschmid
Go to my shop
Hi,

we have now integrated Shapeways models in our free search service FABforall www.fabforall.com, among others. Our 3d printing search engine is currently in public beta, so we would be glad to hear from Shapeways users feedback and ideas. Any comments very welcome Smile

Thanks, Alex
 Topic: The 3D4D Challenge
The 3D4D Challenge [message #60299] Wed, 16 January 2013 13:42 UTC
avatar the3d4dchallenge  is currently offline the3d4dchallenge
Go to all my models
Hello!

We just wanted to pop up with a friendly note to anyone interested in how 3D printing and technology can be used to help benefit those in developing countries around the world. You may already be aware that we held the first 3D4D Challenge late last year – a competition that aimed to find new and innovative uses for 3D printing to improve the lives of those in developing nations, with a prize of $100,000 awarded to the winning project. The Challenge helped to build discussion around 3D printing for good and we want to continue this. We have been posting links to relevant news and articles on our Twitter and Facebook pages on a daily basis, along with links to guest blog posts discussing the legacy of the 3D4D Challenge.

If you want to be inspired, to get involved in the conversation or find out more about what's happened to the winner or finalists of the first 3D4D Challenge, why don't you like our Facebook page? You can also follow us on Twitter (@3D4DChallenge)!

- The 3D4D Challenge team

[Updated on: Wed, 16 January 2013 13:43 UTC]

Topic: Lightweight and waterproof chasis, possible with 3D?
Lightweight and waterproof chasis, possible with 3D? [message #60288] Wed, 16 January 2013 09:02 UTC
avatar Kordian  is currently offline Kordian
Go to all my models
Hello everybody,
I am new to the community and interested in the 3D subject.
I need to build a chasis with the dimentions of 60x30x15mm. It will be used outside and should provide protection against humidity from the outside. My question is: is it possible to manufacture such a chasis within 5g of weight?
Thanks in advance for any response.
Regards
Kordian
 Topic: 3D Design Exhibit: Call for Entries!
icon3.gif  3D Design Exhibit: Call for Entries! [message #60201] Mon, 14 January 2013 18:44 UTC
avatar eccassistant  is currently offline eccassistant
Go to all my models
Ward Melville Heritage Organization
Spring 2013 Exhibit
Educational & Cultural Center

Dates:
Item Drop Off: Beginning February 28, 2013
Exhibit Open: March 9, 2013
Exhibit Close: April 7, 2013
Item Pick Up: April 8 – 10, 2013

The Exhibit will be open seven (7) days a week from 10am until 5pm.

The coordinator is Tarah Sabbatino, Director of the Educational and Cultural Center. There are two key-holding staff members that will also be helping curate this exhibit:

Jenna Loverro
Jessica Morgan

The overall vision of this Exhibit is to show the process of and end product of crafting a design. Whether it is furniture, musical instruments, board games or jewelry, to present the object from inception, blueprints (if applicable) and production, to the final product. The Great Room, where the Exhibit will be held, is approximately 2,300 square foot and we do have several cases available for use. We are also reaching out to local artists who utilize MakerBot 3D printers to create various goods, as well as a local Woodworker's club. Depending on the response, the Exhibit may also tell the story of traditional craftsmanship and more technologically dependent craftsmanship.

Other things you should be aware of:

So you are aware, the Great Room will host a Chamber Music program, Pro Musica on the last day of the Exhibit, April 7, 2013. For this event, we might have to move/rearrange some of the exhibit items.

We can offer consignment opportunities to whomever loans us items for the exhibit. Items that can fit in the Heritage Gift Shop can be displayed there. Items that are available for sale in the actual exhibit can be sold during the exhibit, and picked up afterwards. This is elective, not required.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 January 2013 19:00 UTC]

Topic: Alumide - What is it for?
Alumide - What is it for? [message #60161] Mon, 14 January 2013 02:05 UTC
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Hey all,

I just wanted to ask, do you order models in Alumide?

For my purposes - pendants, rings, etc. - it seems pretty superfluous. It's comparable in price to plastic, but appears to be far weaker and less detailed (admittedly, based on the one model I've ordered in the material). I'm assuming there's an application that my own work doesn't touch on. Can anyone explain to me?

Thanks for humouring my newbie question!
Pages (88): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    »]

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.