Search Search  
Today's Messages (OFF)  | Unanswered Messages (ON)

Forum: Bug Reporting
 Topic: profile pic?
profile pic? [message #53087] Fri, 24 August 2012 15:42 UTC
avatar zero_hour  is currently offline zero_hour
Go to my shop
There does not appear to be a way to add a profile picture. The "edit" button allows for file selection but then nothing is done with the selected file.

It needs to be fixed, or needs instructions/error messages added.

0 hr: art & technology ( 0-hr.com )
 Topic: Bog preview, any tips?
Bog preview, any tips? [message #52822] Sun, 19 August 2012 11:02 UTC
avatar Fredd_fred5  is currently offline Fredd_fred5
Go to all my models
So, i have recently made a model using the Mineways program, and the file/model/whatever looks fine on my machine, but the preview seriousely is bogging up.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/671083/freddy_fred5_s_mc_hous e.html?key=b32f1dfd925e7bf95eb51e136b166454

How it looks for me atm:

How it is local:

EDIT:

Managed to make it function better, put still, i have problems... Now some parts of it are white, still looks normal here though.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 August 2012 11:19 UTC]

Topic: Pages need titles
Pages need titles [message #52111] Mon, 30 July 2012 22:05 UTC
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I looked at the design rules page for large WSF models earlier today and wanted to go back to the page to check some dimensions and wall thicknesses - easy, just look in my history folder... D'oh! Here's what most of Shapeways pages look like in IE8.0 History

index.php?t=getfile&id=19088&private=0

Please can Shapeways webpages have titles (i.e. title meta tag), not only is it easier for us mere mortals to find what we've already looked at, but search engines find this information useful too.

Cheers,
Paul

Topic: Forum titles are blank
Forum titles are blank [message #51803] Tue, 24 July 2012 23:51 UTC
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
All the forum pages (threads or indices) are titled "Shapeways", no info at all.

While at it, Preview message is not decorated as button. Yesterdat Submit one wasn't either, but today it is in the post form. None of them are in the preview area.
 Topic: My Models page Default Behaviour
My Models page Default Behaviour [message #51633] Sat, 21 July 2012 02:11 UTC
avatar Granthus  is currently offline Granthus
Go to my shop
Is it possible to set the My Models page sort order to anything other than Newest as the default load behaviour?

Thanks
 Topic: About the homepage
About the homepage [message #50806] Wed, 04 July 2012 17:02 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
It just struck me that the first thing new visitors to Shapeways see is this;

index.php?t=getfile&id=18203&private=0

Create, share, upload, discover - where's purchase?

Also, looking at it from another angle - perhaps 'Discover' could also have links to what Shapeways is all about?

Topic: When is a URL not a URL?
When is a URL not a URL? [message #50459] Wed, 27 June 2012 16:11 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
So I just uploaded a video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et34sow7kW0 however the URL I was trying to copy & paste into the product pages kept getting rejected as 'Not a YouTube Video'- I figured out why though, it was because I was trying to c&p the link from my YouTube video manager whilst signed in where the URL is formed as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et34sow7kW0 (still a valid URL but not recognised by Shapeways website)

Anyhow, this is more as an FYI rather than bug report for others that may experience the same 'problem'.

Paul
 Topic: 6/6 Release Notes
6/6 Release Notes [message #49500] Thu, 07 June 2012 02:48 UTC
avatar ChristianA  is currently offline ChristianA
Go to my shop
I work here
Today we released a few new features as well as improvements and a bug fix. Here are the notes from today's release:

Bug
- 3D render is updated immediately when a new version of a model is uploaded.

New
- Wall thickness checks are displayed on product detail edit pages. Read more here.
- BETA Shop Inventory Management has been released. Users can switch to the old shop inventory. Read more here.
- Display notification added to experimental squishy material on the product detail page.

Improvement
- The order of materials in the product detail edit page is the same as the product detail page.
- Updated the default forum avatar image.
 Topic: Images Update
Images Update [message #49205] Thu, 31 May 2012 00:57 UTC
avatar bdickason  is currently offline bdickason
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi guys, we've released a small update today to the way images are handled on the site. Images that were previously stretched or skewed should be properly sized now and images that are much wider or skinnier than 'standard' image sizes have a small border placed around them. This is similar to movies being letterboxed when a widescreen version is shown on a smaller TV.

We're still working on a long term solution that will involve redesigning a few key pages to elegantly accomodate image sizes, but this should help.

There is currently one issue with this release that we're aware of:
1) The default forum avatar looks funky.

This should be resolved shortly.

One additional benefit of this release is that most public images are now loaded from a CDN, which should make most pages load a bit faster Smile

Director of Product - Shapeways
 Topic: Model Available / Not Available views
Model Available / Not Available views [message #48680] Sat, 19 May 2012 12:52 UTC
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Let's say you're viewing all your models with the "Not For Sale" tab checked... Now you click on one of those models to go to its detail page... Done, now click your Back button in your browser and you should return to the page you were just on, right? Wrong. You get taken back to page One with ALL your models viewable again.

If you want to continue where you left off you now have to repeat the whole procedure...

Not a huge bug considering all that still needs to be addressed here, but worth mentioning anyway.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
 Topic: CSV price bug
CSV price bug [message #47927] Sat, 05 May 2012 13:20 UTC
avatar MeatballRocketry  is currently offline MeatballRocketry
Go to my shop
It appears that model page edits or markup page edits can yield strange values in the PRICE column of the downloaded CSV. I had made some changes to some models via their edit mode pages which resulted (in the subsequently downloaded CSV) in zeros or negative values for the prices. The negative PRICE values were the same as the correct MARKUP values, only negative. I then found the markup editor page via the forum (http://www.shapeways.com/myshop/markup) and made changes to some of my items while reordering all of them. Immediately afterward I downloaded the updated CSV which now shows ALL negative versions of the MARKUP values within the PRICING column. Still the MARKUP column is fine.

The same incorrect price values show when importing into both OpenOffice and Google Docs.

This seems to defeat the purpose of having a CSV for markup changes in the first place, as it's necessary to see Shapeways' prices in order to decide on a reasonable markup value.

index.php?t=getfile&id=16605&private=0

Josh T.
 Topic: zip file as attachment
zip file as attachment [message #47368] Mon, 23 April 2012 10:54 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
When a zip folder is attached to a PM, the folder becomes corrupt and the contents can not be unpacked.

Topic: A Typo on the Blog
icon4.gif  A Typo on the Blog [message #46887] Thu, 12 April 2012 19:56 UTC
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
Hello! I tried to comment on the post itself but it seems my boyfriend's laptop doesn't have cookies enabled or something.

Anyways, there is a typo on the recent blog post about how to get your product featured on Shapeways. An "l" is missing from the third word in the phrase "Display to Public"... So it actually says "Display to Pubic"! Thought I should try to let someone know so they can change it, haha.

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
 Topic: Forum comment error?
Forum comment error? [message #46569] Fri, 06 April 2012 02:21 UTC
avatar Apocraphilia  is currently offline Apocraphilia
Go to my shop
Hi guys, just a heads up - the comment option in link that you email out?

(Like this: http://www.shapeways.com/blog/comment.php?optin=df949295c6f1 574acbbf1f0e2a5f472e )

...gives a 500 error.
 Topic: gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts
gluing together and priming Frosted Ultra Detail parts [message #46429] Wed, 04 April 2012 03:51 UTC
avatar PopeDesign  is currently offline PopeDesign
Go to my shop
Hi Everybody,

Quick question, besides using crazy glue or epoxy, are there any other good options for gluing together Frosted Ultra Detail parts? What about model cement from Testers (for styrene and ABS plastic kit models)? Or how about "welding" liquid styrene glues that can be applied with a syringe that basically melt parts together?

Also, has anyone had any luck with using primers on Frosted Ultra Detail parts? If so, what has worked without melting the material?

Thanks,

-Jon

-Jon Pope

Topic: Model view distorted
Model view distorted [message #39720] Fri, 02 December 2011 07:58 UTC
avatar Salorian  is currently offline Salorian
Go to all my models
Hello,
on the model page there are those "steering buttons" which are RIGHT in the middle of the box, thus in the middle of the model.
I understand the "intuitive" concept, but nevertheless, those buttons should not cover 50% of your model view ... Rolling Eyes
My idea is, put those buttons elsewhere - a user who is doing 3D should be able to handle the model rotation from outside the box as well.
If not, well, those ones will never be 3D customers anyway ^^
Here an example, of what I mean: Nice steering bar , hehe ..^^

http://www.scalao.com/hub/sways1.JPG

Leave your EGO behind and the universe will open up ....
 Topic: Add Pewter as a Material
Add Pewter as a Material [message #38703] Wed, 16 November 2011 21:13 UTC
avatar Psyckosama  is currently offline Psyckosama
Go to all my models
According to to your Silver page the process uses Lost Wax casting to make the item. I'd like to suggest that you add English Pewter to your list of options.
 Topic: Blender
Blender [message #38185] Tue, 08 November 2011 19:51 UTC
avatar CyberGolem  is currently offline CyberGolem
Go to all my models
Hi,
I apologize if this issue has already been addressed, but I was wondering why Blender isn't offered as a link on the Creator page along with Sketchup, Wings, etc., ? It is a feature-rich opensource program that is offered for free download and seems to be ripe for a site like this... at least with my noobie-shallow understanding of it anyway Very Happy
—Chaz
 Topic: Shop inventory managment (old)
Shop inventory managment (old) [message #37301] Tue, 25 October 2011 10:38 UTC
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi,

When using the old shop invetory manager to move models about, clicking on a different page results in the 'My Shop' main page being reloaded, it is then necessary to click on the 'Shop Inventory' tab again to get to the inventory manager... too much clicking.

Paul
 Topic: Sizing options and shop entities
Sizing options and shop entities [message #37268] Mon, 24 October 2011 19:05 UTC
avatar HenryAlfredo  is currently offline HenryAlfredo
Go to my shop
Hi, maybe its been requested before but here are some possible suggestions for improvement

when model upload set default model size to for example iches or millimeters which can be set in the user account. i know its just 1 click but i like automation

linking several models in your shop to a parent entity so that multipart designs in different materials can also be bought as 1 product in the shop, this way multipart or set products can be offered at a set price

autorendering a 30 frame animated gif of a rotating uploaded model. put it on a nice shapeways.com platter so ppl can easily put their designs in the spotlight by pushing to social media. make it reflect the material chosen.

the java plugin still causes hickups for me here and there. sometimes the plugin just needs a page refresh. sometimes the controls center on the plugin window. i fear not many shop visitors have the plugin, and call me lazy but i try to concentrate on the design not on the renders. in the end photos are much better though.

i used a firefox plugin a while back which lets you slide between photos on flickr, i think a similar environment to explore designs on keywords for shapeways would be nice. a virtual 3d shapeways gallery would be brilliant.

also consider people ordering a nice silver pendant, it would be nice to offer the customer a nice selection of cords. or say the designer orders 20 silver chains for a pendant, delivers them to their shapeways ´postbox´ and links them to a certain product in the shop. users could be charged per volume used for storage.

or, facilitate or support community bulk buys of such products. this will result in lower purchasing costs. this idea can apply to other categories like robotics where people design the chassis and parts, and the required components eg arduinos for a working design are delivered by shapeways. i know you could just link to an external site for these items to be ordered, but on the extra postage the buyer saves, shapeways maybe could make money, especially on bulk prices. and, most importantly, the designer can offer a more complete product for a better price.
 Topic: video
video [message #35861] Tue, 04 October 2011 15:10 UTC
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
just wanted to say I'd prefer vimeo for embedding the videos on the product pages. no ads is the main reason, but it's also a cleaner & smoother player in my opinion.

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
 Topic: New theme!
icon10.gif  New theme! [message #30758] Tue, 12 July 2011 23:48 UTC
avatar Lozzie  is currently offline Lozzie
Go to all my models
I was thinking, a new theme is required for the outdoor environment. There could be some beautiful designs for pot plant pots, water features, pond bases, outdoor sculptures, a bird bath, feeders etc... the possibilities are endless! Please post with your ideas! Also, pet accessories might be another avenue of creative exploration. Smile
 Topic: Communication options
Communication options [message #28932] Sun, 12 June 2011 17:20 UTC
avatar dynath  is currently offline dynath
Go to my shop
I've only been on Shapeways a couple of months but I already have run into things like the Wall Thickness Lottery. I know that Shapeways contacts the buyer and cancels the order but it would be really nice if there was a way of the creator being able to contact the customer to tell them when the model has been fixed and such. Its very easy to lose an impulse purchase through not being able to tell people what's going on with your models. For that matter some form of limited shop blog would be awesome. Someplace you could post updates on what is being worked on or maybe polls for requests. It doesn't even have to be shapeways run, something like a webpage embedded in the store's face site that links to a Blog Spot blog or some such.

Check Out my blog dynath.blogspot.com
 Topic: Polygon limit
Polygon limit [message #28623] Sun, 05 June 2011 14:35 UTC
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
First off, thank you for implementing the 1M polygon limit. It's been great and has allowed me to fit many of my puzzles in to a single file for printing.
However, it's still not enough. Many puzzles I'd like to print have just over 1 million polygons, usually 1.2 to 1.5M polygons. This forces me to split the puzzle in two files, which is undesirable since it's confusing for my customers and it kills off the density discount. I usually stack my parts fairly efficiently and splitting them up does not increase the efficiency of my stacking, which is bad for you.

Can you perhaps consider adding some more server capacity? Or, as a different approach, what about having an option that very large models are added to the site without being checked (showing an appropriate disclaimer)? For me, it's a very rare occurrence that models are rejected or fixed during the initial checking. Furthermore, malformed models could still be spotted by the printer operators.
 Topic: Textures with blender
Textures with blender [message #23761] Sat, 12 February 2011 21:18 UTC
avatar okapi  is currently offline okapi
Go to all my models
Hello,
You should indicate to the users of Blender 2.49 who prepare an WRL export with textures to mark well " TexFace " into the F5 pannel, otherwise the texture will not be recognized!
index.php?t=getfile&id=7085&private=0
They will be grateful to you for it!

• Attachment: texface.JPG
    (Size: 12.98KB, Downloaded 301 time(s))

Topic: Model orientation in picture/3D display and bounding box
Model orientation in picture/3D display and bounding box [message #20546] Mon, 15 November 2010 22:24 UTC
avatar Dexter  is currently offline Dexter
Go to my shop
Hi,

I just noticed that models have a different orientation in the default picture and the 3D applet. The applet apparently uses a rendering orientation with the z-axis pointing away from the screen. So a model that is positioned correctly in the default image and the thumbnails, will lay flat on it's back in the 3D viewer which makes my models look rather silly in 3D.
The same happens with the bounding box. A model that is 10 cm high and 1 cm wide is displayed as 1 cm high and with a depth of 10 cm. I think this could be confusing for customers. It would be great if this could be fixed.

Mark.
 Topic: Materials - once more
Materials - once more [message #18363] Sun, 26 September 2010 11:50 UTC
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
Would you please take a look on the material adding/removing selector.

Can you please sort the materials according to wall size and material.
(that should be a 5 minutes programing task)

You will certainly remark how straightforward the process of selecting the materials will be.

Woody64

i.e. (not checked)
Not available in:
White Strong & Flexible delete
Summer Magenta Strong and Flexible delete
Summer Green, Strong & Flexible delete
Summer Blue, Strong & Flexible delete
Black Strong & Flexible delete

Transparent Detail delete
White Detail delete
Black Detail delete

Grey Robust delete
Alumide delete

Stainless Steel delete
Antique Bronze Matt delete
Antique Bronze Glossy delete
Gold Plated Glossy
Gold Plated Matt delete

Full Color Sandstone delete
Sandstone delete

Milky White Matte Glass delete
High Gloss White Glass delete
High Gloss Black Glass delete

More then 8100 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr Twitter
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD, How to Become a 3D Printing Entrepreneur
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once) More the 500 successful Products (Items&material printed once)
 Topic: IE 7 fails to go to Paypal for purchase
IE 7 fails to go to Paypal for purchase [message #18169] Wed, 22 September 2010 18:49 UTC
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
Added 22 items I uploaded from my private gallery to my cart. After I select Paypal US funds it goes to the next page and says my cart is empty. Using IE 7. Sounds like a redirection problem. Had a friend test it using Firefox, it worked for him just fine and took him to the Paypal Website. Will have till wait till I get home to make order. Just letting you know so you can look into it for compatibility/fix.

Quick Update:
Downloaded Firefox, gave it a spin, same issue. In this case it may be work place related like a firewall issue although I have payed with Paypal and credit card at many websites from work with no issues. Sorry for the confusion. Will try again when I get home.

Another Update:
Did a small test with only 3 items in cart, and it directed me to Paypal. However when I have all 22 items in my cart, I get the error when I click Order In US Funds, Paypal, it brings me back to a empty invoice page that says nothing is in my cart. So I guess I will have to order them in a couple orders rather than one.

Last Update:
Finally got it to work. Had to order it in two orders, 12 items in one, 10 items in the other. Went through just fine. Second order had to spend an extra $2.60 to meet the minimum but its cool, ordered a double to send to the caster as well as one for me.

Still not sure what the issue is/was.

Can't wait to get em!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2010 22:20 UTC]

Topic: Image upload tutorial and recommended sizes
Image upload tutorial and recommended sizes [message #15338] Tue, 27 July 2010 19:45 UTC
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The image upload tutorial seems to be only accessible by searching, maybe it got lost while moving things around. If the content isn't valid anymore, it should be removed, or updated and linked. Thanks.
 Topic: Material research request - PET
Material research request - PET [message #14262] Fri, 02 July 2010 11:07 UTC
avatar Tommy_2Tall  is currently offline Tommy_2Tall
Go to my shop
Hi!

I just wanted to add this to the materials wishlist..
Perhaps someone has already requested it?

Would it be possible to use SLS / Objet ( / some form of binder-printing followed by furnace treatment) to do 3D-printing in PET plastic?

It would probably not be glass-clear but it would still be cool to have a diffused/matte look.
It could also help as a "recycling"-target for PET product;
just turn it into dust and use it in a 3D printer Very Happy

It's clearly possible to colour PET plastic so that would be a nice feature too.. translucent colored objects of your own design Very Happy

It seems to have a pretty high meltingpoint (around 250 degrees Celcius) but maaaybe.. just maaaybe it's possible to get it heated up just enought to squeeze it out of a printer nozzle into a cooling bed of supportmaterial?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate

*holding thumbs and hoping for the best* Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 02 July 2010 11:15 UTC]

Topic: Date Column on Orders List
Date Column on Orders List [message #14087] Tue, 29 June 2010 15:54 UTC
avatar designerica  is currently offline designerica
Go to my shop
this just occurred to me as i clicked through the many orders on my list and continually became more confused. It would be REALLY helpful if there was a date column on the list of orders on my page so that i could figure out which invoice i needed to look at.

another similar addition would be if the part page told me when the part was last ordered and possibly how many times it has been made.

www.designerica.com
 Topic: MATERIALS BUG
MATERIALS BUG [message #13741] Wed, 16 June 2010 14:28 UTC
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I uploaded a new model yesterday and in looking at it today I see that there is a problem with the materials it is availalable in. I left all at the default and yet it is only available in the three DETAIL materials. It is also, co-incidentally, NOT available in these three materials!

I would suggest all to take a look at recently added models.

I have notified Shapeways.

My model here: http://www.shapeways.com/model/129475/2010_world_cup_pendant __5cm_.html

** EDITED -- This was due to my error. The thickness of the pendant was 2mm and I had to increase to 3mm to make printing in all materials availalable **

[Updated on: Thu, 17 June 2010 03:00 UTC]

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
 Topic: Excessive volume warning
Excessive volume warning [message #13611] Fri, 11 June 2010 18:08 UTC
avatar jasolo  is currently offline jasolo
Go to my shop
Sometimes I find in the Gallery some models with excessive volume (no walls) or with overlapping figures, well I think that after seeing they cost hundreds or thousands of dollars. I suppose they are wrong models that shouldn't be exposed/sold, but maybe the author doesn't know his fault. Those models could give the wrong idea to future creators/buyers that 3D printing is very very expensive. Also, they are expending Shapeways' web resources (disk, database).

So my suggestion is the creation of some volume tests after the model is uploaded (and the resulting price is high):

1. Overlapping
If the sum of the volumes of all the "solids" in the STL file is greater than the volume of the bounding box of the total figure, then they are overlapping in a high degree (this method doesn't detect small overlappings). The creator should get a warning message about this and link(s) to tutorials/posts about using boolean union to get a unique solid. Also a suggestion about deleting his model or reuploading a fixed version.

2. Not hollowed
If the ratio between figure volume and bounding box volume is high, then the figure is not hollow, it lacks walls. Again a warning to the creator with info links.

I think that both detection methods are easy to code and doesn't need a lot of cpu time. However, the detection of small overlappings is another problem and the only quick-but-not-precise solution that I can suggest is to check if the bounding boxes of the solids overlap. This will show the warning in some valid models with multiple parts (boat in the bottle, bird in cage), but the text in the warning should be clear about these cases.

Every creator should check his models before uploading, but we are lazy, we don't read the instructions or forget them, so those checks after uploading could be great.
 Topic: Small problems
Small problems [message #13227] Thu, 27 May 2010 17:05 UTC
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Don't know if this was from this update or a previous, but I sent a PM with images, and when the page refreshed with a preview, the page went out of the borders, but i didn't have a slide thing at the bottom of the page to scroll over to the submit button. All I had to do was click in some text and hit the right arrow till it scrolled over there. May be a firefox issue? Also sometimes have the problem of when I post something I'll get sent to a blank screen, almost always happens with PMs.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
 Topic: rating system - stars
rating system - stars [message #13019] Wed, 19 May 2010 19:34 UTC
avatar jeff  is currently offline jeff
Go to my shop
so i know there's been a lot of discussion of the rating system here. I was wondering if there are any plans of updating the system or changing it anytime soon?

I'd like to see it setup so only those who have purchased the items are able to rate them. This would show at least how many people have bought the item and what they thought of it (of those that rate it). there could be an automated email prompt to rate the model to help increase the number of ratings. And they could be dependent on the revision of the product, so when the designer updates the model and maybe fixes things people had issues with they'll get new ratings. i really think apple's rating system for apps is a great example to look toward.

my issue w/ the current system is that the stars could mean any of the following:
"wow i bought this and it works awesome" 5 star
"wow this looks cool in that rendering" 5 star
"oh this competes with my product" 1 star

or you can vote for your own by setting up multiple accounts.

I started this conversation over in another forum. Lensman commented on it there
Yes, it is a nice design. And since it's been mentioned, I too, would like to know what are the most popular items being purchased. I also agree about not being able to rate unless you've purchased the item; that, however, could bring up problems. Suppose someone buys something but is not a "regular" visitor here. They like what they bought. Will they return to rate it? Unlikely. Now, if they DON'T like it, will they return to rate it? - More likely. This ultimately could mean more negative rates than positive...

Jeff Bare
Industrial Designer
@jbaredesign
 Topic: Image resizing
Image resizing [message #12090] Sun, 25 April 2010 12:04 UTC
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
I believe that Shapeways partially leaves photo resizing to the browser. This mostly works fine, but for my most recent model the picture is not treated nicely by IE (see attachment).
I just noticed it happens on most of my other photo's as well. They all look fine in Chrome but look mangled in IE.

I don't want to scare away people by showing them a mangled photo of my product so I fixed it by uploading a picture that was exactly the right size. Consequently, the zoom functionality is lost.

I would prefer to upload slightly oversize pictures and have Shapeways do the work. So, Shapeways, please resize our pictures properly!

Topic: Customer Service Team
Customer Service Team [message #11525] Wed, 07 April 2010 19:20 UTC
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
I just felt the need for a shoutout to the Customer Service Team at Shapeways, especially to Tyce van Alphen. She has been extremely helpful with my most recent order which was cancelled countless times due to reasons that no one could figure out until recently. It was a mess...But Tyce was very helpful and we finally figured out what was going wrong and I should be ordering again today.

Very Happy

Thanks Shapeways!

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
 Topic: 3D printing virus for STL file type
3D printing virus for STL file type [message #11313] Thu, 01 April 2010 11:13 UTC
avatar Schorhr  is currently offline Schorhr
Go to my shop
Too bad this "article" has no comments allowed.
Interesting idea.
Immagine a virus for food printer files: You wait for a nice, juicy burger, and recieve overcooked broccoly.
Very Happy
 Topic: Feedback~ :D
Feedback~ :D [message #11268] Wed, 31 March 2010 02:25 UTC
avatar akeno  is currently offline akeno
Go to all my models
Hihi

Here's some feedback that I wanted to give since being invited into the program (almost a year woot) that I think could make Shapeways better, I listed my stuff in order of somewhat importance but not necessity Razz

-Get Rid of the Voucher System Entirely
.I suggest nerfing the voucher system. It seems to be a headache and is easier just to give partial or full refunds back into customer's Paypal /or bank account if theres a problem. It becomes a hassle to follow with multiple partial refunds on some orders with vouchers even though there are records, its just easier to deposit and respend on the website then remembering voucher information.

.However, if the voucher system is insisted (I still am pretty firm on just a full refund), make the coupon section of the checkout be able to stack vouchers and discount % coupons that are sent with orders on business cards.. you can only do one or the other right now.

-Wall Thickness Script Update
.Two of my orders (just as an example) in the past have been cancelled by a overlooking mistake in the past when meeting the minimum wall thickness, both solid and hollow items, for just WSF, so I'm not exactly sure how this is calculated when the checker checks out the wall thickness in the upload script. Is there a way for the wall thickness checker from Shapeways to post the wall thickness it currently reads underneath the LxWxH dimensions in the model area? There could be Highest Thickness: and Smallest thickness: found areas. I'm still not clear how this works and if it works the way I think it does my models shouldn't have been second guessed since they were 1mm thick.

-Dedicated Wall Thickness / Problem Forsee'er For Ordered Models
.When a model is ordered sometimes the order gets cancelled on the 9th day out of the 10 day window that is given and is painful to wait 9 days just to find out that a thickness is not correct or hear feedback on a model that might give problems with fragile items such as sandstone when the production office finally gets to the model.

.Maybe a model checker for only models that have been ordered (and not just uploaded) with a check box on the item page that requires double checking for said material that could get a quick response. This would be more or so only for Sandstone and Color Sandstone because of the severe fragility.

-Live Chat "Agent" Feature via website or Skype
.More convenient then sending emails, sometimes its easier to actually talk live to someone either in typing or via voice instead of ping ponging emails back and forth. Communication can sometimes get jumbled in emails. It also is way more professional looking instead of just waiting on emails.

-Communication Improvement
.I know being from the US an average wait time response is around one day (for our hours) for service emails, and you're not guaranteed an average time frame response since it feels like all the departments contact each other through email (I've got alot of email responses with Fwd: etc, so just assuming here). There's a six hour gap between the east coast states and SW and assuming a 9-5 hour job.. so under that condition Shapeways closes at 11am EST/8am PST and opens at 3am for the States etc. It's hard getting the time frame right for email communication with work in the morning and having to wait till the next day because of the time difference. Chatting with a representative for 5-10 minutes before work seems easier.

-Forum Member Reputation
Some traditional forums have a "+Rep" feature where if a member gets enough +Reputation from the community itself, the moderators of the board usually reward them somehow. They are usually showing the helpfulness of the person or thread, and a number that says "Repped X amount of times" to show reliability etc. Maybe a 10% discount from Shapeways at a certain Rep once a month?

-Production Photography
.Someone mentioned this before, I really like this idea. It could also build a really great portfolio for your business and website Very Happy

-Be able to download your uploaded .zip file with VRML or .STL files with included texture maps.. etc.
This could be put on the actual model page under my designs with a link to redownload your mesh that you uploaded and that is stored on the Shapeways server. Computers die, so do electronics... and hard drives, so if any modifications needed to be made you have you fixed copy ready at hand for modification and ready to re upload. Also good if you work on multiple machines.

-Shapeways Live Member Chat Box
.Could be available to anyone over 10 forum posts (to prevent spam etc. Can easily be implemented with php and MySQL or javascript while linking forum member posts to it's availability Very Happy It'd be cool just to have a free for all discussion for those of us who live on these forums and might be able to help out easily live instead of bouncing through PM's.

-Home Page During Maintenance Time
.Should say " We'll be right back! " and not broken english, haha Laughing

-Invent a WSF 1000million dpi Color Printer, the CSF!
. I could keep dreaming, but hey. Very Happy

Oh PS - For any customers reading, Shapeways has an amazing customer service. Between Ms. Mar, Mr. Ralph, and Ms. Ty at the CS desk they go out of their way to go beyond your expectations and everything is amazing. Don't be afraid to ask them questions or have something changed via inquiry, it might take a while for a response due to where you are located but it's always a pleasure doing business with Shapeways and their team.

[Updated on: Wed, 31 March 2010 17:01 UTC]

Topic: A bug in item view.
A bug in item view. [message #11106] Thu, 25 March 2010 17:20 UTC
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I was looking at a model today, and I noticed a link I hadn't seen before on the top right of the page. It said <<previous. Seeing the page I was on before was the home page of shapeways I was curious as to what this link would take me too. I clicked it, and it went to the first model I put up on shapeways. I hit it again, and it went to my second model I uploaded and a next>> button appeared. So I'm guessing the intended operation is to scroll through your items without having to hit back on the browser all the time. But I don't think it should have sent me to my models from someone elses.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Pages (88): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    »]

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.