Search Search  
Today's Messages (ON)  | Unanswered Messages (OFF)

Forum: Suggestions
 Topic: Hallmarking
Re: Hallmarking [message #99499 is a reply to message #99460 ] Tue, 30 September 2014 13:50 UTC
avatar leandroarndt is currently online leandroarndt
Go to my shop
PeregrineStudios wrote on Mon, 29 September 2014 23:04

I think people are getting lost in technicalities here. The discussion has become 'does Shapeways technically HAVE TO HALLMARK under the law?'. IMHO, that is the wrong question to be asking. There are a LOT of things businesses don't LEGALLY HAVE TO DO, but they do it anyway because their customers expect it. Any purchaser of precious metals, especially ones like 18k gold or platinum, WILL be expecting their jewelry to be hallmarked, period. It's a fact. Shapeways cannot change that fact. These customers can have it explained to them that under some legal technicality, Shapeways doesn't NEED to hallmark it, but they will expect it because that is the level of service they receive at ANY OTHER VENUE offering this product.

I'm not really taking any side in this debate; Shapeways is right when they say hallmarking would require editing your design, without your input. But the simple, unchangeable, immutable FACT is that customers will (reasonably) expect a level of service that they will not receive, and Shapeways' reputation - or the seller's reputation - will suffer as a result.

I would only add that this is a really important issue on some countries (e.g. UK), while it does not make sense on others (e.g. Brazil).

I thought a little bit on that, and maybe found a "solution". Precious metals are not colored prints, but uploading a color texture with a colored area apt for hallmarking would tell Shapeways where this could be done with express agreement of the designer. It would be like a full color sandstone/plastic model, but the colored area would be that where hallmarking would be allowed.

Leandro Arndt
Cristão 3D
Re: Hallmarking [message #99500 is a reply to message #99460 ] Tue, 30 September 2014 14:01 UTC
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

The discussion has become 'does Shapeways technically HAVE TO HALLMARK under the law?'. IMHO, that is the wrong question to be asking.

You might be right. My personal feeling is that for certain jurisdictions they do, but frankly that's SW's problem.

Quote:

Any purchaser of precious metals, especially ones like 18k gold or platinum, WILL be expecting their jewelry to be hallmarked, period.

100% agreed. I have said above that for silver it's possibly ok, but for the other metals it seems unforgiveable.

Quote:

Shapeways is right when they say hallmarking would require editing your design, without your input.

I cannot agree here. SW say this, presumably, so that they can claim they are not responsible for content but just a pipeline - a DMCA type dodge, or something like that. But the fact is SW alter any cast object. They take your model, print it in wax, add parts for the ingress of molten metal and egress of air, vaporised wax and fumes. When the cast is produced they then remove the extra parts and polish, and then polish some more if required. So in the process of making the finished object they perform some processes which modify the object: in this context it seems unreasonable to say that they cannot hallmark as part of that production process, especially if it is required by law (in certain jurisdictions).
Re: Hallmarking [message #99502 is a reply to message #99500 ] Tue, 30 September 2014 14:16 UTC
avatar numarul7  is currently offline numarul7
Go to my shop
:)

[Updated on: Tue, 30 September 2014 14:21 UTC]

numarul7 jewelry and design
Re: Hallmarking [message #99520 is a reply to message #99168 ] Tue, 30 September 2014 17:39 UTC
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
Everyone seems to be missing the point.

Shapeways can not sell or offer to sell any item containing any Gold, Silver, Platinum or Palladium in the UK without it being assayed first. There is not a choice.

Implications for Importers into the UK and Exporters to the UK
Before your goods can be offered for sale they have to have been tested and hallmarked at a UK Assay Office. Unless they are exempt because:
a) The product weighs less than
1.00 gram for Gold
7.78 grams for Silver
0.5 grams for Platinum
1.00 gram for Palladium
b) The product has already been tested and hallmarked in a country which is a signatory to the International Convention on Hallmarking and it bears the Convention "Common Control Mark".
The following countries are signatories to the convention: Austria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Hungary, Irelnad, Israel, Latvia,

I started a new topic about Nickel and it's control as a dangerous substance.
I would appreciate some feedback on this http://bit.ly/1rD6bc0

jacantdesign@gmail.com
 Topic: Sell Non-Processed Prints
Sell Non-Processed Prints [message #99527] Tue, 30 September 2014 19:08 UTC
avatar RubixFreakGreg is currently online RubixFreakGreg
Go to my shop
Hello,

With the recent announcement on price increased on high part number models (such as twisty puzzles) I think it would be a good idea to be able to print models without (or barely no) processing.

Not only would that make the models much cheaper than they were before for the customers but would also save on time for workers at shapeways.

This could be applied on all the models, but since you probably have a lot of employees that do this job, you could also do it for models with orders with more than N parts only (eg: 50).

I hope this will soon be an option, because I won't be able to afford to print my puzzles anymore through shapeways if the high price increase on high part number models is maintained !

Kind regards,
Grégoire Pfennig

[Updated on: Tue, 30 September 2014 19:28 UTC]

Re: Sell Non-Processed Prints [message #99529 is a reply to message #99527 ] Tue, 30 September 2014 19:17 UTC
avatar mkroeker is currently online mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Apparently you spilled the beans on that, as there has been no official announcement as of yet. I am curious what "non-processed" would mean in the context of strong&flexible, where the print run leaves them with a big block of white nylon powder and most of the work is probably catching all the little models as the loose powder is blown off by compressed air. I guess they could try leaving loose powder in hollow models, but that would both cost them the reusable material and make a mess everywhere, not to mention that some misprints may only be apparent after cleaning.
Re: Sell Non-Processed Prints [message #99531 is a reply to message #99529 ] Tue, 30 September 2014 19:30 UTC
avatar RubixFreakGreg is currently online RubixFreakGreg
Go to my shop
I was thinking of just putting the parts in a strainer and then in a bag without cleaning them in depth.
Re: Sell Non-Processed Prints [message #99532 is a reply to message #99527 ] Tue, 30 September 2014 19:39 UTC
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Quote:

With the recent announcement on price increased on high part number models (such as twisty puzzles) ...

I guess this explains the sudden surge of interest in the CSV wizard...
Re: Sell Non-Processed Prints [message #99535 is a reply to message #99527 ] Tue, 30 September 2014 20:02 UTC
avatar xenokathexis  is currently offline xenokathexis
Go to all my models
as a frequent buyer of twisty puzzles from Shapeways, i will second RubixFreakGreg's suggestion:

if the proposed increase in price is, in fact, due to the excessive labour involved in sorting the high number of pieces that are often involved in twisty puzzle design, it might make sense to offer the option of *not* doing that -- take the print straight from the machine and place it in a bag, excess powder and all. (this is also assuming that this kind of powder loss will not be a financial burden in itself.)

personally, i polish and dye the pieces myself when i receive them, so this additional cleaning would be little trouble.
Re: Sell Non-Processed Prints [message #99538 is a reply to message #99532 ] Tue, 30 September 2014 20:29 UTC
avatar SavIsSavvy  is currently offline SavIsSavvy
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi Everyone,

Here's the official Announcement, the repricing thread, and a special multi-part / puzzle thread. Let's keep those convos going over there so everyone can see.

To answer your questions, even if post-production "finishing" was limited, there's still numerous junctures in the process where ever party of your puzzles would have to be checked in and sorted. We want to find a solution and are going to work with you all, just not sure that's the best option.

Savannah, your Shop Owner Coach/Global Community Manager

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.