Home » Support » 3D Printing » Map not found - but it is there
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Map not found - but it is there [message #86600] Sun, 23 March 2014 06:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar Colossus  is currently offline Colossus
Go to my shop
I've been trying to upload a file with a .bmp associated with it. It originated with a 3ds Max file conversion that I saved out to a .wrl file. All the maps were put into a zip file along with the wrl and uploaded. I keep getting an error saying it can't find a .bmp file that I know is definitely in the zip file. Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Thanks for your help!
Re: Map not found - but it is there [message #86601 is a reply to message #86600 ] Sun, 23 March 2014 07:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HOLDEN8702 is currently online HOLDEN8702
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
This could happen when you have changed the name of one of the files. Then it can't recognize the .bmp cause it hasn't its own name.

This is about sculptris color files, but also could help you:

http://pomeroyprinting.blogspot.com.es/2013/08/sculptris-to- shapeways-with-texture.html

regards

Luis
Re: Map not found - but it is there [message #86603 is a reply to message #86600 ] Sun, 23 March 2014 11:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Open the wrl in a text editor, use 'find' to find the image file reference and make sure the reference is trucated to just the image filename i.e. no drive or folder info. Truncate the filename if needs be and save.

Paul
Re: Map not found - but it is there [message #86605 is a reply to message #86600 ] Sun, 23 March 2014 11:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
As far as I know, BMP is not a supported texture file format - try converting it to GIF, PNG or JPEG (and adjusting the file name in the "ImageTexture" entry of the WRL file accordingly)
Re: Map not found - but it is there [message #86622 is a reply to message #86605 ] Sun, 23 March 2014 19:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks, actually .bmp is supported. I've uploaded a number of other models with .bmp files with no problems.
Re: Map not found - but it is there [message #86623 is a reply to message #86601 ] Sun, 23 March 2014 19:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the reply. This was a direct import so there was no need for me to change the file name. The 3dsMax file loads fine. It's just the WRL output that gets wonky.
Re: Map not found - but it is there [message #86624 is a reply to message #86622 ] Sun, 23 March 2014 20:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Hmm. Anything even slightly unusual about your texture file name, e.g. embedded blanks or special characters ? Does the error message you get
exactly correspond to the expected name of your texture file ? Does texturing work when you open your wrl file with a standalone viewer such as view3dscene ?
Re: Map not found - but it is there [message #86638 is a reply to message #86624 ] Mon, 24 March 2014 03:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
The map files are identical. I went back to the source file and a raw .wrl export seems to import in to Shapeways and show up in a viewer without problems. However, when I adjust the exported file to fix potential printing problems (thickness, part location), then the file has problems uploading. I did take a look at the exported .wrl file from my modified file in a viewer and it wasn't loading the textures. Would adjusting or adding vertex locations somehow corrupt the texture locations in the file?
Re: Map not found - but it is there [message #86644 is a reply to message #86638 ] Mon, 24 March 2014 07:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Changes to the mesh would likely lead to a mismatch of your texture, with parts of it applied in unintended places. Also depending on the program you used for fixing, the wrl you exported from it may have lost the texture reference.
From your earlier messages however, it seems that the texture file is specified but cannot be found - which would point to a more fundamental problem.
(Could it be a case-sensitivity problem, e.g. filename in mixed or lower case but ZIP file created with msdos-style all-uppercase names ?)
Re: Map not found - but it is there [message #86673 is a reply to message #86638 ] Mon, 24 March 2014 18:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Basically, your wrl file is a huge text file that has the coordinates for everything, colour mapping included. Change the model, the file changes and unless you re-map the image, the whole thing goes pearshaped.

For colour models the workflow should be,

1. Create the model
2. Error check the model file and repair if needs be.
3. Colour the model.

Paul

Previous Topic:Why No Black Strong & Flexible Polished? Why No Unpolished Strong & Flexible in Other Colors
Next Topic:Printing a very long object, print quality and pricing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.