Home » Community » General Discussion » Finding the minimum size of a model for all of it's details to be printed in a certain material
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon3.gif  Finding the minimum size of a model for all of it's details to be printed in a certain material [message #78624] Sun, 10 November 2013 02:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar mimekunst  is currently offline mimekunst
Go to my shop
You have a detailed model. How do you find out the minimum size of the model for all of it's details to be printed in a certain material?

Interessen: Bahn, Humor und Outdoor
http://www.mimekunst.com
Re: Finding the minimum size of a model for all of it's details to be printed in a certain material [message #78625 is a reply to message #78624 ] Sun, 10 November 2013 05:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
It depends a good bit on the model itself.

For all of this, you need to know the size of the detail. What is the smallest dimension across the detail?

If the details you speak of are just surface features, then you need to focus on the guidelines for Embossed/Engraved details. If the details you are trying for are generally flat panels, then use the "Minimum Wall Thickness". If the details things such as fingers, spikes, wires, etc, then use the "Minimum Wire Free"

Your model then needs to be designed to consider those minimums.

When designing things for model trains, I need to ensure that the overall size is proper for the scale. That usually means that I have to allow walls, railings, etc. to be fatter than they are in the real world, but I do try to get the overall width/height/length correct.

On the other hand, if you have a pre-designed model, then you need to take the smallest measurement and upscale the model to fit the minimums above.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Finding the minimum size of a model for all of it's details to be printed in a certain material [message #78698 is a reply to message #78625 ] Mon, 11 November 2013 14:02 UTC Go to previous message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Thanks for providing such a detailed (heh) answer, Stony!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways

Previous Topic:A delicate issue...
Next Topic:Download and edit 2D to 3D model?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.