Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Newbie questions on using Sketchup
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Newbie questions on using Sketchup [message #77146] Sun, 20 October 2013 18:59 UTC Go to next message
avatar Thudius  is currently offline Thudius
Go to all my models
Howdy,

I've been playing around with Sketchup as an aid to my model building. A few people have asked whether I would be printing my designs and I wanted to know how Shapeways handles texture fills. If you look at the attached images, I'm looking at doing the red portions only, probably in frosted detail plastic. The floor would have a treadplate pattern on it as in the overall image. Now the question: I've just used a texture fill, how will Shapeways print this, or can they print this as an actual texture? Or would I have to actually create the floor pattern myself? I realize I'll have to redo the whole floor structure again to make the walls thicker and so on. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Thud

Re: Newbie questions on using Sketchup [message #77155 is a reply to message #77146 ] Sun, 20 October 2013 22:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
I believe you will have to create the patterned floor yourself - though possibly there might be a sketchup function or plugin available that converts "displacement textures" or "heightfields" to actual 3d mesh geometry. The only way textures can be used with shapeways' 3d printing options is as color maps in conjunction with the "full color sandstone" material (actually gypsum powder colored with a simple but effective inkjet contraption during printing).
Re: Newbie questions on using Sketchup [message #77159 is a reply to message #77155 ] Sun, 20 October 2013 22:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Thudius  is currently offline Thudius
Go to all my models
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll see what kind of plugins I can come up with. If not, more learning ahead.

Thud
Re: Newbie questions on using Sketchup [message #77624 is a reply to message #77146 ] Sun, 27 October 2013 13:56 UTC Go to previous message
avatar dcyale  is currently offline dcyale
Go to my shop
There are sketchup plugins to do a "bump map" and make a face 3D depending on the darkness of the texture. I've haven't had a lot of success, but haven't tried in a while and maybe I know more now than then.

If you want to see how shapeways will "see" a model export it as an STL (there;s a plugin for that) and it will remove any textures.

There also is colored sandstone which can print in color, including textures, but I don't think that's what you are looking for.

Dave Yale

Previous Topic:How Dense Should a Curvy Mesh Be in Order to Avoid a Faceted Look?
Next Topic:UV maps

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.