Home » Support » 3D Printing » interlinked 3d printing - clarification needed
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
interlinked 3d printing - clarification needed [message #77157] Sun, 20 October 2013 22:23 UTC Go to next message
avatar mdavisstudios  is currently offline mdavisstudios
Go to my shop
Can our uploaded designs be several parts interlinked, like a chain with several links, so when it prints the pieces are already and permanently linked together, but still loose?

I know there are some designs like this available to purchase (i.e. https://www.shapeways.com/model/479446/chain.html?li=search- results&materialId=5) , but some forum comments made me think this practice has been discontinued.

thanks!

Re: interlinked 3d printing - clarification needed [message #77164 is a reply to message #77157 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 01:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith is currently online stonysmith
Go to my shop
It's still allowed. http://shpws.me/pgSD was featured in the last MakerFaire event that Shapeways attended.

There are a couple of catches however:
1) You can't do it in any of the metals, nor in ceramic. The printer can produce the geometry, but the post processing steps require solids.
2) There is a One Million triangle limit on file uploads. A large, smooth model is going to quickly exceed the 1m triangle limit.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: interlinked 3d printing - clarification needed [message #77165 is a reply to message #77164 ] Mon, 21 October 2013 01:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mdavisstudios  is currently offline mdavisstudios
Go to my shop
thanks! too bad it's not allowed for metals, but this is good to know.
Re: interlinked 3d printing - clarification needed [message #81322 is a reply to message #77157 ] Sun, 15 December 2013 12:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Gijsraaf  is currently offline Gijsraaf
Go to my shop
So for example a pendant with a ring wich connects another pendant is not possible with metal..? Not even with bigger dimensions?

TwinArt: Making Products Personal

Previous Topic:Is there something I could or should have done to prevent this?
Next Topic:is it possible to 3d print... ?