Home » Community » Work in progress » Need Help: Sculpting a Full-face Helmet to Fit
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need Help: Sculpting a Full-face Helmet to Fit [message #71564] Sun, 14 July 2013 04:09 UTC Go to next message
avatar JadeEyePanda  is currently offline JadeEyePanda
Go to all my models
Hi Shapeways community!

So, I'm making a helmet of a comic book character for a client, and there's a specific situation where I'm not entirely familiar doing. He would like it completely wearable from the get go (after printing).

What do I need to do in ZBrush to make sure this helmet will fit his head straight from the print

My first instinct is to duplicate, scale the helmet down, and cut out the initial shape through a boolean operation, though I have a feeling that might not just be it.

I have recieved a dimension of 23 1/2 inches for his head size.

http://i.imgur.com/ms0DdDm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AVFv1yw.jpg

[Updated on: Sun, 14 July 2013 04:09 UTC]

Re: Need Help: Sculpting a Full-face Helmet to Fit [message #71607 is a reply to message #71564 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 14:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I would think you would need a full 3D scan of his head to be completely accurate and sure it would fit.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Need Help: Sculpting a Full-face Helmet to Fit [message #71608 is a reply to message #71564 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 14:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I would need to know what it is that you're starting with in order to help. Sometimes your idea will work and other times not - it all depends on the initial geometry.

BTW... a full-size helmet is going to cost BIG bucks.... you're aware of that?

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Need Help: Sculpting a Full-face Helmet to Fit [message #71627 is a reply to message #71608 ] Mon, 15 July 2013 19:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JadeEyePanda  is currently offline JadeEyePanda
Go to all my models
The attached image is of the helmet as it currently stands, this being a ZBrush render of the mesh, not dynameshed.

As stated before, this is for a client, and the contractual agreement only states I send him back a model that is ready for print and wear (not necessarily perfect wear), so he's doing all the final printing on his end.

I've gotten rough orthographic photos of his front, side, and back of his head. Should this be enough?

[Updated on: Mon, 15 July 2013 19:32 UTC]

Re: Need Help: Sculpting a Full-face Helmet to Fit [message #71658 is a reply to message #71564 ] Tue, 16 July 2013 11:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Indeed. For a snug fit as youknowwho4eva suggested I would model the actual head (making it slightly larger) and then boolean difference that from the helmet. You will of course have to hinge the back and front somehow or he will have to squeeze his head through the neck hole!

Also check out the Dynamesh option in ZBrush - specifically the Insert Brush where a sphere can be inserted at the bottom of the neck and then removed - BUT with an option to SHELL the helmet to any desired thickness. I've done this quite a few times and it's great for hollowing out models since it leaves thin areas untouched (for example an arm would be shelled but the fingers wouldn't).

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery

Previous Topic:The Sphere Cup
Next Topic:Just would like your opinion on my designs

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.