Home » Community » It arrived! » Turn Apart by OSKAR
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Turn Apart by OSKAR [message #7046] Sat, 03 October 2009 11:04 UTC Go to next message
avatar Oskar_van_Deventer is currently online Oskar_van_Deventer
Go to my shop
Hi Shapeways fans,

Turn Apart is similar to a 2x2x2 Rubik's Cube. However, its faces are connected by dovetail connections. On the one hand, this blocks some types of movements. On the other hand, it enables the puzzle to be taken apart, as there is a majority of female dovetails.

See the YouTube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUUNw1pzU5Y

Buy the puzzle:
http://www.shapeways.com/model/47522/turn_apart.html

Watch the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar

index.php?t=getfile&id=1485&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1486&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1487&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1488&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1489&private=0

[Updated on: Sun, 03 October 2010 15:23 UTC]

Re: Turn Apart [message #7047 is a reply to message #7046 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 14:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Very nice Oskar! In the video, it looks like you have made it as difficult as possible to disassemble (13 moves?). But one could also put the stickers on so that the first piece comes out when the colors are aligned! If one then scrambled it from here, solving the colors would also lead to mechanical disassembly.
Re: Turn Apart [message #7048 is a reply to message #7047 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 14:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BAROBA  is currently offline BAROBA
Go to my shop
gibell wrote on Sat, 03 October 2009 14:35

Very nice Oskar! ..... But one could also put the stickers on so that the first piece comes out when the colors are aligned! If one then scrambled it from here, solving the colors would also lead to mechanical disassembly.

Wouldn't this cause one piece to be loose all the time? You can see the part to drop out as soon as he turns the right sequence. 1 turn would be better..
I think Oskar is right, you need to find the right sequence in order to get the first piece loose. Like with a Burr-puzzle. My father-in-law loves his collections of Burrs Smile Some are crazy hard Smile

Succes met je puzzels, het is altijd heel leuk om te zien wat je hebt bedacht.

Groeten,

Rob
Re: Turn Apart [message #7049 is a reply to message #7048 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 14:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Oskar_van_Deventer is currently online Oskar_van_Deventer
Go to my shop
George,

You are completely in free to sticker the Turn Apart sample that you buy in any way that you want! Laughing

Greetings,

Oskar
Re: Turn Apart [message #7050 is a reply to message #7048 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 15:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
BAROBA wrote on Sat, 03 October 2009 14:50

Wouldn't this cause one piece to be loose all the time? You can see the part to drop out as soon as he turns the right sequence. 1 turn would be better..
I think Oskar is right, you need to find the right sequence in order to get the first piece loose. Like with a Burr-puzzle. My father-in-law loves his collections of Burrs Smile Some are crazy hard Smile

It would certainly make it a whole lot easier to solve! You're right, it is basically a burr puzzle, and the colors are irrelevant as far as disassembly goes. They can be made to help you, or not.

It looks to me like one can recognize the first piece to come out when it is in the assembled state. If one can also figure out which 3 pieces it needs to be connected to (to come out), one can then basically solve for this state using 2x2x2 moves, ignoring the colors. Sounds pretty tough!

Re: Turn Apart [message #7052 is a reply to message #7046 ] Sat, 03 October 2009 15:21 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Oskar, has anyone figured out how many of the 3,674,160 possible positions of a normal 2x2x2 are possible for this cube? Given the "blocked moves", I assume it is less.

Previous Topic:Ok so it's not a Shapeways print, but it still "arrived"
Next Topic:Big Carrot charm

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.