Home » Community » General Discussion » New Plastic Colours?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New Plastic Colours? [message #59982] Thu, 10 January 2013 18:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
First off, not sure if this is in the right place. If not, sorry!

Now then, on to business. I was wondering if we're going to see more plastic colours come out in addition to the red, pink, etc. we already have. I'm personally hoping, looking, and asking for plastics in shades designed to look like they belong with our three stainless steel finishes - steel, bronze, and gold.

The reason I ask is that for many designs, it's simply not practical or possible to design the entire product out of stainless steel, either for price reasons or material reasons. However, often these different parts are meant to go together (like a bead on a pendant). Yes, we can spray paint our WSF plastic to look like these finishes, but it never matches up exactly. I personally would love to see plastic finishes that are as close as possible in shade to stainless steel finishes. Or even go a step further and add a new variety of plastic material with bronze, gold, and steel powder mixed in (I'm not sure if that's doable with 3D printing, however). I know that many designers who make things 'the old-fashioned way' will, if they want a cheap prop that looks like bronze, often use a clear resin plastic and mix in some brown colouring and bronze powder. I'd love to see something like that available on Shapeways.

Just my two cents, anyhow.
Re: New Plastic Colours? [message #60017 is a reply to message #59982 ] Fri, 11 January 2013 08:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar DaBroNrw  is currently offline DaBroNrw
Go to all my models
I also like to know if there is a chance to get more colors:

like (colors normally most people wanted or? Because of the standard color range: red, green, yellow, -blue- beside black and white)
green tone
yellow tone
brown/ beige tone

and some special wishes... (I think with no real chance...)
flesh color??
and grey again (because alumid is to brittle)
dark blue

cu
Ingo
Re: New Plastic Colours? [message #60024 is a reply to message #60017 ] Fri, 11 January 2013 11:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
GLOW IN THE DARK PLZ KTHX

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: New Plastic Colours? [message #60162 is a reply to message #60024 ] Mon, 14 January 2013 02:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar PeregrineStudios  is currently offline PeregrineStudios
Go to my shop
Ooooh, that's a good idea too. That never even occurred to me.
Re: New Plastic Colours? [message #60165 is a reply to message #59982 ] Mon, 14 January 2013 03:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Spot138  is currently offline Spot138
Go to my shop
I'd die for glow n the dark - but who knows if its even possible?
Re: New Plastic Colours? [message #60168 is a reply to message #60165 ] Mon, 14 January 2013 03:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Bathsheba  is currently offline Bathsheba
Go to my shop
Shapeways Crew
It's already available in spools for home printers.

More to the point, glow ceramic glaze is a thing. http://www.glo-net.com/ceramic.html

I don't understand what everyone is doing all day that they think is more important than this.
Can I get a witness?!

-Bathsheba
http://bathsheba.com
Re: New Plastic Colours? [message #60184 is a reply to message #60168 ] Mon, 14 January 2013 13:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Kaetemi  is currently offline Kaetemi
Go to my shop
Someone should modify a WSF laser machine to include a printhead from a color printer so it can switch between printing the colors and lasering and provide the most awesome full color strong and flexible material ever.

Kaetemi
Re: New Plastic Colours? [message #60274 is a reply to message #60168 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 23:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Problem with glow-in-the-dark stuff is probably that these materials are pigments, not dyes (and relatively coarse-grained powders
if you want any significant effect). Either zinc sulfide (green and longer wavelengths down to red by using an additional dye) or
rare-earth silicate (blue). This probably makes them easier to use in the FDM process or in glaze (easier to disperse evenly in
viscous materials).
That said, the blue phosphorescent material is pretty amazing - gives off an eery glow for many hours. Sadly, I have not found an appropriate
problem for this solution yet - perhaps I should model the crystal structure of some uranium ore and paint the uranium atoms to produce what
looks like cherenkov radiation. Razz (Another nice thing about this pigment is that it is a harmless off-white, unlike the zinc sulfide that is a sickly green
even in daylight)

(Edited: mis-spelling of rare-earth...)

[Updated on: Tue, 15 January 2013 23:41 UTC]

Re: New Plastic Colours? [message #60275 is a reply to message #60184 ] Tue, 15 January 2013 23:39 UTC Go to previous message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
I guess the zcorp guys already thought about that - but the inkjet dyes do not exactly like being torched by a laser...

Previous Topic:$30 egg holder
Next Topic:Lightweight and waterproof chasis, possible with 3D?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.