Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue???
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #58310] Mon, 10 December 2012 09:41 UTC Go to next message
avatar Idie22  is currently offline Idie22
Go to my shop
This may sound stupid, but I don't see how I can get my description to appear in paragraphs. I've seen it done in some stores, but many don't have it as well. My long item description looks too messy and who knows, might make me lose some sales. Please, if it's possible can someone tell me how?! Mad
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #58344 is a reply to message #58310 ] Mon, 10 December 2012 19:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Try with HTML tags, like <p> or <br>.
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #58384 is a reply to message #58344 ] Tue, 11 December 2012 10:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
We don't officially support using images in the description. You might be able to 'hack' it with HTML, but it may get filtered out in the future. Better stick to the way default images work!

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #58469 is a reply to message #58384 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 14:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar 7777773  is currently offline 7777773
Go to my shop
He was asking about Paragraphing, not images... by default your description will be mashed together into one big messy lump, no matter how you type it.
I hadn't thought of trying html pagebreaks - Thanks, Stannum!
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #58470 is a reply to message #58469 ] Wed, 12 December 2012 14:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ack, my bad, sorry. I'll raise this issue again in our product team.

Bart

Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #58608 is a reply to message #58310 ] Fri, 14 December 2012 10:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mygadgetlife  is currently offline mygadgetlife
Go to my shop
I insert a couple of <br> into my descriptions to separate paragraphs, seems to work - be careful though, when you go to edit a description you might need to put them all back in due to the way the text is filtered.
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #62222 is a reply to message #58608 ] Sun, 17 February 2013 06:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TinyMtn  is currently offline TinyMtn
Go to my shop
I find it best to just use straight-up HTML paragraph tags:
<p>
One paragraph here.
</p>
<p>
Another paragraph here.
</p>

This always seems to work.

Mark
tinymtn.com tinymtnbiz@gmail.com
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #68738 is a reply to message #62222 ] Mon, 27 May 2013 06:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HazelwoodModels  is currently offline HazelwoodModels
Go to my shop
Several HTML commands work.

Another useful one is:-

<strong> Shout Louder </strong>
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #71016 is a reply to message #68738 ] Fri, 05 July 2013 08:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hey guys,

I'm reviving this thread - the Product team has asked me for your input on a better model description editor. Which options do you think it should (and should not!) support? How can we help you make a better product page by offering other editing options?

Please share your input & examples (either your Shapeways product pages or elsewhere).

Thanks!

Bart

Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #71066 is a reply to message #71016 ] Fri, 05 July 2013 22:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Being able to disable it and type the basic HTML tags as now would be a good feature. Some people can type faster than can point and click.
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #71068 is a reply to message #71066 ] Fri, 05 July 2013 23:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar HazelwoodModels  is currently offline HazelwoodModels
Go to my shop
A front end like eBay would be the ideal, everything is there.
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #74205 is a reply to message #71016 ] Wed, 04 September 2013 23:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TrainThingz  is currently offline TrainThingz
Go to my shop
Glad I found this... was having the same issues with paragraph breaks!

I don't understand, though, why you have one text editor on the product pages in the shops, and another one here... why not use this one both places?

A couple of things I'd like to see in the shops product pages... the ability to have a list of all tags associated with my shop in a list, and be able to just check them to enable them... like the materials list. This would help those of us who aren't the greatest typists and keep us from having duplicate or NEAR-duplicate tags.

It would also be great to be able to select several items and edit their descriptive text all at once - especially if there were "shared text" and "unique text" sections so those one or two lines that are different would be simpler to add. I could go through and add all the shared text at once, then just fix up a couple of lines on each one individually.

I'm sure I'll have more suggestions later. Cool
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #74220 is a reply to message #74205 ] Thu, 05 September 2013 08:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks! We're currently working on an overhaul for the Product page and I'll forward all your suggestions to the involved team.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #75607 is a reply to message #74220 ] Fri, 27 September 2013 02:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Did this overhaul consist of removing the paragraph spacing in the customer-facing product description page, but not in the shop-owner "Edit Details" page?

Just surrounding my paragraphs with
<p>Paragraph here</p>
<p>Next paragraph here</p>

no longer works (as of maybe 1-2 weeks ago). Now, (in Firefox, IE, and Opera) to get proper space between paragraphs in the customer-facing product page, I need to use
<p>Paragraph here</p>
<br>
<p>Next paragraph here</p>

Why change the way HTML has always been rendered? Should I re-upload dozens of descriptions, or might this be returned to it's original behavior soon?

Mark
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #75612 is a reply to message #75607 ] Fri, 27 September 2013 05:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
You can accomplish the same thing just by doubling up the BR tags and leaving out the P

paragraph paragraph paragraph
<br><br>
<br><br>

First one ends the line above, second one spaces it.

I never thought all that hand-coding of HTML 3 I did back in the day would ever come in handy again... Smile
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #75613 is a reply to message #75612 ] Fri, 27 September 2013 05:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Sure, there are probably many ways to accomplish it. I was kind of hoping the straightforward <p> tags that have worked for 15 years would have been the answer.

Mark
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #75619 is a reply to message #75613 ] Fri, 27 September 2013 05:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I agree that it is frustrating that <p> does not really do what it would on a web page. I also find it odd that other tags are not implemented such as <i> and <b>.

Covered in this thread
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #75653 is a reply to message #75619 ] Fri, 27 September 2013 15:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SavIsSavvy  is currently offline SavIsSavvy
Go to my shop
I work here
Thank you all for your feedback. As Bart said, we're in the process of a huge overhaul and look forward to better usability in the future!

Savannah, your Shop Owner Coach/Global Community Manager
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #75655 is a reply to message #75653 ] Fri, 27 September 2013 15:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Cool. Looking forward to it. I just didn't know if I was seeing the overhauled version yet. Until then, I guess descriptions will just look messy.

Mark
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #75657 is a reply to message #75655 ] Fri, 27 September 2013 15:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SavIsSavvy  is currently offline SavIsSavvy
Go to my shop
I work here
We're gradually making a lot of changes, so hang in there Smile

Savannah, your Shop Owner Coach/Global Community Manager
Re: Paragraphing in Model Description dialogue??? [message #75658 is a reply to message #58310 ] Fri, 27 September 2013 15:55 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
I think what it really boils down to is pretty simple:

If we have to use HTML in the descriptions, don't nerf it and make us play guessing games about what will work, and what won't.

If you don't want us to use HTML, then we need a real editor... like this one here.

Previous Topic:Ring Sizing
Next Topic:Dutch VAT % on products

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.