Hello [message #57028] Sun, 18 November 2012 15:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar wedge  is currently offline wedge
Go to my shop
Hello

> What bring you to Shapeways?
Private interest in 3D-Prining

>Where are you from?
Rostock, Germany

> What are your interests or hobbies that you plan on using Shapeways for?
I am playing Tabletop, so personalizing my army with 3D-printet parts. Also wont to create some individual gifts for family and friends.

>Your software (Don't have one? Look here for a list of known compatible software!)
various, depends on ... still on testing what is the best for me

>Your experience level
not very experienced.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 November 2012 15:40 UTC]

Re: Hello [message #57074 is a reply to message #57028 ] Mon, 19 November 2012 09:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Welcome Wedge! You should find there's quite a community that creates wargame models here on Shapeways:

http://www.shapeways.com/gallery/games/board-games

If you're stuck, you can always reach out to them for advice!

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Hello [message #57093 is a reply to message #57028 ] Mon, 19 November 2012 14:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
For your software, seeing you're doing tabletop, you may want to use a combination of software. You want your parts to be organic looking most likely. A lot of programs are good at mechanical drawings (you want to draw a square no problem), but most are not good at organic stuff (you want to draw a dude with large muscles, veins, and a beard). For that I'd recommend Blender, or Sculptris. Both free. Blender, is much more complicated. It can do the mechanical, the organic, even animation. So it's a lot to learn. I use Sculptris myself. You start with a ball of clay, and you pull it, pinch it, twist it, till it looks the way you want. Then you can paint it right in the software if you're doing sandstone prints. The down fall with Sculptris is it doesn't do scale, and it only exports OBJ (fine if you're not doing color as shapeways doesn't yet offer color for OBJ). So you'd still need a software like Blender to make sure you have the size right, and to export any color models.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate

Previous Topic:not NEW but REDESIGNED
Next Topic:Greetings All

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.