Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » How to smooth out a strong and flexible model?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How to smooth out a strong and flexible model? [message #53516] Sun, 02 September 2012 21:06 UTC Go to next message
avatar psychokitty  is currently offline psychokitty
Go to all my models
I recently received a nano ipod bracelet made from black strong and flexible material. The only drawback is that it is like wearing sandpaper on your wrist. Is there a way without killing it to polish the grit off?

Thanks for any suggestions you give me.

Shapeways fan!
Re: How to smooth out a strong and flexible model? [message #53523 is a reply to message #53516 ] Mon, 03 September 2012 01:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Modelsbymarsden  is currently offline Modelsbymarsden
Go to my shop
Can either sand it down or better yet use filler primer (best would be two-pack but that's asking a lot). A lot of people seem to swear by gloss as it's thick and will smooth out parts.

www.modelsbymarsden.com
Re: How to smooth out a strong and flexible model? [message #55619 is a reply to message #53516 ] Thu, 18 October 2012 20:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MrFluffyThing  is currently offline MrFluffyThing
Go to all my models
It's recommended that you don't try to sand down strong and flexible materials. Because they are made from fused grain particles, sanding them down will only remove material, not actually smooth it.
Re: How to smooth out a strong and flexible model? [message #55665 is a reply to message #55619 ] Fri, 19 October 2012 18:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
The Strong and Flexible materials can be sanded:

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=2522 0&&srch=coil+gon#msg_25220

Coarser grades of paper/sanding stick produce better results in less time; be gentle and don't press down hard on the part as you sand it for a smoother finish.

Previous Topic:Painting FUD Products
Next Topic:Sandstone seamless assembly?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.