Home » Support » 3D Design » Interlocking help.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Interlocking help. [message #52486] Sat, 11 August 2012 03:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar ou_let  is currently offline ou_let
Go to my shop
I attached a picture of my model, i need to connect these 2 pieces together. Currently the edges would be completely adjacent if moved into place. How much does everyone think i should skim off. I'm thinking very little or perhaps none at all. Note, i want them to be able to stay attached.

thanks

• Attachment: fishhelp.png
    (Size: 24.42KB, Downloaded 77 time(s))

[Updated on: Sat, 11 August 2012 03:12 UTC]

Re: Interlocking help. [message #52496 is a reply to message #52486 ] Sat, 11 August 2012 20:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar msandoe  is currently offline msandoe
Go to all my models
I haven't much experience with interlocking parts, but I'd say you'd have to take into account the accuracy that the printer is going to print these parts with. For instance, if you're using Fine Detail Plastic, the accuracy is .1 mm, so you may have the diameter of the inner circle be .2 mm less than that of the outer circle. This so that when the printer prints the inner circle .1mm more than it should be, and the bigger circle 1mm smaller than it should be (only at parts of the circle of course) it should fit quite nicely.

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/detail-design-guidelines
Re: Interlocking help. [message #52499 is a reply to message #52486 ] Sat, 11 August 2012 23:38 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar msandoe  is currently offline msandoe
Go to all my models
I just looked at the Design Specifications of a material again. Apparently it comes with a "Clearance" value. This has me confused, but I think it's the answer to your question. Perhaps this is the recommended clearance to have for interlocking parts. Hope this helps.

Here's that awesome link again: http://www.shapeways.com/materials/strong-flexible-design-gu idelines
Re: Interlocking help. [message #52504 is a reply to message #52499 ] Sun, 12 August 2012 01:58 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
For parts that are printed in place next to each other, you will need the listed "clearance" for the parts to move independent of each other. (think about the gap between links of a chain)

However.. if you want parts such as a puzzle that fit together tightly and don't have any play between them, you need to separate the peices completely, and have the surfaces match pretty close to exact - holes the same size as plugs, etc.,

For the second type, I wouldn't create a gap bigger than the "tolerance" value you see for the various materials.. you want a small bit of friction between the parts to allow them to grip together.

[Updated on: Sun, 12 August 2012 01:58 UTC]

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products

Previous Topic:Can't figure out why my design isn't available in Alumide
Next Topic:Need some help with Mathematica

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.