Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Dye running off of part during sweating
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Dye running off of part during sweating [message #52237] Thu, 02 August 2012 15:00 UTC Go to next message
avatar john.mauriello  is currently offline john.mauriello
Go to all my models
Hey guys

Has anyone experienced this problem of the dye running off the part during heavy perspiring/exercising?

I have a bracelet that is made out of WSF that I dyed black. When I run it under cold water and scrub it with soap very heavily, the dye stays on and no residual comes off.

However, when wearing the piece today I noticed that the dye was coming off and some residual was bleeding onto my skin during a workout session. Does anyone know how to solve this?

I tried scrubbing any excess dye off and no luck with that.

Would using a high grade automotive dye in the future work better? Any quick way to seal the model without affecting the nice matte finish that I have right now? Do I just need to scrub the model even harder to get any residual dye off?

I think it is a chemical reaction more than a physical bond of the dye to the part. The reason why i think this is because I can douse the part in water and try to scrub it off with an abrasive pad and it doesn't come off. It only comes off if I'm sweating/perspiring...probably has to do with body oils and acidity in skin?

[Updated on: Thu, 02 August 2012 15:02 UTC]

N/A
Re: Dye running off of part during sweating [message #52726 is a reply to message #52237 ] Thu, 16 August 2012 18:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pdb  is currently offline pdb
Go to all my models
Hello John

Have you found any info on the reaction between sweat /dye since you posted? I use Dylon Universal Dye, and am waiting to hear back from them (Dylon not shapeways) on a similar topic. Will post when if i hear anything.

What dye do you use? I know Dylon isn't colourfast but I have never had a problem with sweat. i am testing my products none the less. So far no dye has bled (Almost a week of constant wearing), but the items don't locate to an area that is prone to sweating. So the test is a bit flawed Smile

Regards
Piers

boop
Re: Dye running off of part during sweating [message #70100 is a reply to message #52726 ] Wed, 19 June 2013 14:25 UTC Go to previous message
avatar jojojojojojo  is currently offline jojojojojojo
Go to all my models
Hi,

Im also looking for a solution on "sweat exposed" strong and flexible parts. Self-dyed or dyed by shapeways (violet, red, blue,...), or even parts that are not dyed at all, polished or unpolished:
is it possible to really seal them with e.g acrylic paint to not allow sweat to get through to the actual material/dye?
Or any other suggestions than acrylic paint?

Thank you already in advance!
Kind regards,

Johannes

Previous Topic:Grit blasting
Next Topic:UV protection for Sandstone

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.