Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » More on FUD
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
More on FUD [message #50925] Fri, 06 July 2012 16:46 UTC Go to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
I recently managed to leave some FUD pieces overnight* in some cheap nail varnish remover. When I eventually rescued them I found that they had softened and become pliable. I would guess that they would be nearly as pliable as styrene sheet.

Has anyone else seen this?

The active ingredients of the NVR are
Acetone
Water
Propylene Glycol
Glycerin.

*OK I got distracted and forgot about them until the next morning.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2012 17:32 UTC]

Bill Bedford
Re: More on FUD [message #50940 is a reply to message #50925 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Yes - I left some FUD parts in nail polish remover (almost 100% acetone) for about 40 minutes and they were flexible/rubbery when I remembered to take them out (I usually leave them for about 15 minutes max). Several parts fell off the sprues (0.3mm x 0.6mm connective surface) when I handled them.

I washed them in water and set them on a towel to dry; in less than an hour they were back to normal.

Frosted Detail printed in thin sheets (0.5 - 0.7mm) is very flexible; it reminds me of Tupperware.
Re: More on FUD [message #52088 is a reply to message #50940 ] Mon, 30 July 2012 15:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fred.oliver  is currently offline fred.oliver
Go to all my models
I have some wonderful models of World War One biplanes in FUD. Unfortunately, their wings droop. If I soak them in acetone to make them flexible and try to bend them back into shape, do you think they'll stay that way when they dry or go back to drooping?
Re: More on FUD [message #52094 is a reply to message #52088 ] Mon, 30 July 2012 16:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
You would be better soaking them in very hot water.

Bill Bedford
Re: More on FUD [message #52099 is a reply to message #52094 ] Mon, 30 July 2012 17:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks. I'll give it a try.
Re: More on FUD [message #52100 is a reply to message #52099 ] Mon, 30 July 2012 17:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GWMT  is currently offline GWMT
Go to my shop
Hi fred;

Try warming it up and weighting it to remove the droop. The material remembers the orientation it was printed in and will try to return to its original shape when heated: http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=4051 5&&srch=warped#msg_40515
Re: More on FUD [message #52101 is a reply to message #52100 ] Mon, 30 July 2012 18:05 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thank you. I was hoping that would be the case.

Previous Topic:Chroming
Next Topic:Does dying with Dylon Universal effect the bio-compatibility of WSF?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.