Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Buffing out silver
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Buffing out silver [message #49635] Sun, 10 June 2012 18:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar israelu  is currently offline israelu
Go to all my models
Hello Shapeways community. I received my silver print the other day, which is a pendant that's just a simple extrusion of a sillouhette - so the front and the back are just flat, is what I'm getting at. The print arrived, and awesome as it is, it has a grooved texture to it. Perhaps it's inherent to the process, but it's different from what I was imaging. I was picturing a smooth, more traditionally "silvery" silver.

What I was wondering then, is can the lines be buffed (sanded?) out, and would that leave me with a shiny result? Also, if this is something that can be done, I could use some insight, or clues to the process, never really having done anything similar.

Thanks all. I appreciate any help,

- Israel
Re: Buffing out silver [message #49684 is a reply to message #49635 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 19:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Did you order regular silver or glossy silver? What I've done is used my Dremel (cheapest Chinese made Dremel I could buy at Walmart) and it comes with a polishing wheel, and a polishing material. It's very easy to get a nice shiny surface.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Buffing out silver [message #49690 is a reply to message #49684 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 19:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thank you for your reply. I did get the shiny silver (which is why I was surprised when it arrived not what I would consider shiny). Following your advice, I do see that I can purchase a dremel from Walmart for, like $20, so I might give that a shot.

I guess the real crux of my question is whether the silver prints have all the same physical attributes as any silver jewelry - therefore enabling any of the same traditional jewelry making techniques. The pendant won't fall apart, will it, if I either buff it myself, or hand it over to a jeweler to? From the reading I found on Shapeways' website, it seems the silver prints ARE as silver as anything else (the print aspect just being the wax mould, with the silver being poured after the fact). Is my understanding correct?
Re: Buffing out silver [message #49696 is a reply to message #49635 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 19:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
You are correct, it is the same/similar to any silver jewelry you'll buy, and you are correct about the method for production.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Buffing out silver [message #50440 is a reply to message #49635 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 12:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar silencia  is currently offline silencia
Go to all my models
Hi,

I would start with grade 360 sandpaper and then 600, then 1200 (very fine). If it is a flat object then sand in one direction and then sand horizontal to that direction so the directions that you sand should be left to right and then up and down...(sand more against the grain)

Then do as the other poster suggested - buy a dremmel, with a mandrel piece on the end. ...you can use cotton wool on the end of the dremmel and then jewellers rouge to polish.

Depending on how thin your object is you could potentially sand it down to the point where if weakens but I would say that you would be able to tell if this is going to be an issue by looking at the thickness.

Re: Buffing out silver [message #50441 is a reply to message #49635 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 12:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar silencia  is currently offline silencia
Go to all my models
Wow,

I just realised I was 4 years too late with posting the above!!! Hope you managed to resolve the issue by now!
Re: Buffing out silver [message #50453 is a reply to message #50441 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 15:02 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
Thank you very much for your reply. There's some great, very useful information in it. All's well that ends well - I ended up taking the piece to a jeweler and it came out AMAZING, but for future projects that are less time sensitive I would love to handle buffing and polishing myself.

Thanks again

Previous Topic:Shiny black strong & flexible with lacquer
Next Topic:FUD frosting and ruining the parts

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.