Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » FUD wax removal.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: FUD wax removal. FUD plastic [message #47052 is a reply to message #46231 ] Mon, 16 April 2012 07:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mark W  is currently offline Mark W
Go to my shop
This weekend I went out in search for Bestine on the recommendation of FrankNscale.

While I didn't find Bestine, I browsed the cleaners and spotted Goo Gone and De-Solv-It Citrus.

De-Solve-It was more expensive (~9 bucks), but the label says it specifically removes wax, among others. As I was on a budget I saved this product for my next go.

Goo Gone was 3 bucks, so I picked one up.

The process took just minutes and resulted in perfectly clean, wax free model (with no discoloration/whitening), ready for paint. I'm surprised that Goo Gone has not been discussed before.

1. Rinse and brush away any large blobs of wax.
2. Using a toothbrush that has been sitting in hot water (which softens it's bristles), dip the brush and FUD part in Goo Gone and lightly scrub all surfaces 2-3 times. Rinse/swash the brush every so often to remove the removed wax so you don't just spread it around. Re-dip the brush in Goo Gone and continue.
3.Quickly rinse and brush again in warm-soapy water.

Done.
Re: FUD wax removal. FUD plastic [message #47055 is a reply to message #47052 ] Mon, 16 April 2012 07:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Sounds like good stuff, which variety of Goo Gone did you use? Have you tried painting cleaned parts yet?
Re: FUD wax removal. FUD plastic [message #47056 is a reply to message #47055 ] Mon, 16 April 2012 08:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mark W  is currently offline Mark W
Go to my shop
I'm not aware of different varieties of Goo Gone, but my bottle says Citrus Power.

Here's a painted (no primer), Goo Gone cleaned, model.
(Black is Polly Scale Acrylic, Red and Yellow is Testors Enamel)

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff504/WildMarker/N%20Scale%20Model%20Railroading/48b14512.jpg
Re: FUD wax removal. FUD plastic [message #47151 is a reply to message #47056 ] Wed, 18 April 2012 13:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pumpjet  is currently offline pumpjet
Go to all my models
Goo Gone sounds interesting. Is there any particular brand of soap used to final cleaning?
I was thinking of the post that mentions soap can contain Lanolin which can have effects on the FUD.

Bob
Re: FUD wax removal. FUD plastic [message #47157 is a reply to message #47151 ] Wed, 18 April 2012 14:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
Lanolin should have no effect on FUD at all, though it may prevent paint adhering properly.

Bill Bedford
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #48181 is a reply to message #28535 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 09:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CharGyse  is currently offline CharGyse
Go to my shop
I have a suggestion that might work well to break up chunky bits on some pieces: Dental floss. I was about to consider using some on my pendants when I realised it could be used on models like the mini rubiks cube.

Enjoys spending 98 hours a week learning, making and designing stuff. The picture of me as a kid is... pretty much what you're dealing with.
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #49287 is a reply to message #48181 ] Fri, 01 June 2012 16:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nickdk  is currently offline nickdk
Go to all my models
I expecting a FUD part pretty soon that consists of a grid with 0,4mm thickness and 8mm between the sections, first this model was rejected due to that it probably would warp at cleaning, but I might get it anyway since I would take the risk of warping and I was wondering what's the best way to clean such a structure, I have read this entire thread and there's many options to choose from Smile but since my model is an open grid i guess leaving it in a hot space would cause the wax to melt and escape the grid, but I haven't ordered any FUD before so maybe it's not as easy as i imagine? Smile
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #49301 is a reply to message #49287 ] Fri, 01 June 2012 18:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
If you live in the US and have a Michael's Hobby store nearby, Bestine is great for cleaning FUD

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #49302 is a reply to message #49301 ] Fri, 01 June 2012 18:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
stonysmith wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 18:05

If you live in the US and have a Michael's Hobby store nearby, Bestine is great for cleaning FUD

I'm in Denmark :S I haven't heard about Bestine, but what's the ingredients? Maybe they something similar here, but I think the biggest challenge is that I'll have 1 try only for this so the method needs to really work the first time.
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #49336 is a reply to message #49302 ] Sat, 02 June 2012 19:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
This link will help for info about Bestine.
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #49337 is a reply to message #49336 ] Sat, 02 June 2012 19:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
stop4stuff wrote on Sat, 02 June 2012 19:14

This link will help for info about Bestine.

Thank you for the hint!
I have searched for Bestine and can see it's not really available to me over here. But is the product so good that I should order something or, based on my explanation, would other methods be just as good for removing wax from such a grid structure?
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #49340 is a reply to message #49337 ] Sat, 02 June 2012 19:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Laughing
try this link

Although, I've not tried it myself ithers have had good results with the product. I'm waiting on a delivery for some FUD prints (~11th) and will be using an ultrasonic cleaner.

Re: FUD wax removal. [message #49341 is a reply to message #49337 ] Sat, 02 June 2012 19:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Roy_Stevens  is currently offline Roy_Stevens
Go to my shop
I use 90% isopropyl alcohol because, frankly, I don't like the idea of washing my models in gasoline.

Earl Grey, hot.
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #50661 is a reply to message #28535 ] Sun, 01 July 2012 05:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rkapuaala  is currently offline rkapuaala
Go to all my models
I've read through most of those, and tried most. I have not read through all of these suggestions so maybe this method has already been mentioned.
I have minor success with chemicals because of the nature of my model,
Finally I took the figure and placed it on a couple of paper napkins and went over it with a hair dryer. You don't have to get it too hot for the wax to start flowing, just move the hair dryer over the piece back and forth and in no time the wax perculates out of the holes in the model.
Then clean off the residue which has deposited itself on the outer surface with the solvent of your choice and a cloth applicator that sheds no lent.
I use an old piece of linen cut up.
I found it also helps to clamp the napkins down to keep them from getting blown all around by the hair dryer.
Sorry if this method has already been mentioned.
index.php?t=getfile&id=18136&private=0
This is a transparent view of the figure to give you some idea of the amount of wax I am talking about.
This particular figue has 2 holes. One 2 mm hole at the top of the head and one 1 mm hole at the bottom of the torso.

[Updated on: Sun, 01 July 2012 05:22 UTC]

Re: FUD wax removal. [message #52252 is a reply to message #49301 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 05:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Phxman  is currently offline Phxman
Go to all my models

[Updated on: Fri, 03 August 2012 05:17 UTC]

Re: FUD wax removal. [message #54929 is a reply to message #50661 ] Fri, 05 October 2012 11:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kristgy  is currently offline kristgy
Go to all my models
Just to share one more war story:

I have a model with mm scale encapsulated channels. I have had good success with the following method:

1) Heat the model up to 60°C to melt the wax.
2) Pressurize the channels with a syringe to push out the molten wax.
3) Push through toluene (a standard organic solvent), to clean away any wax residues.

The toluene doesn't seem to dissolve or discolor the plastic. I haven't tried painting the models, but I assume it works after the toluene has dried.

Just be sure to use adequate ventilation and be aware of the fire hazard when working with toluene (as always consult the Material Safety Data Sheet for any new materials, for example here:

KBG
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #54943 is a reply to message #54929 ] Fri, 05 October 2012 17:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
kristgy wrote on Fri, 05 October 2012 11:42

3) Push through toluene (a standard organic solvent), to clean away any wax residues.

Have you tried Heptane? There's a product called Bestine available from hobby stores such as Michaels. It has worked very well for me cutting the wax.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #55031 is a reply to message #54943 ] Mon, 08 October 2012 14:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Toulene is not something you really want to use without a fume cupboard. See section 11 of this

Bill Bedford
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #55034 is a reply to message #55031 ] Mon, 08 October 2012 15:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kristgy  is currently offline kristgy
Go to all my models
Thanks, for the suggestions on heptane. I am in Sweden, so I am not sure I will find Bestine in stores here, but I will try to see if I can get hold of heptane in another form. It is of course preferable to use the least nasty chemical that will do the job.

I am working in a fumehood with the toluene, and that is definitely advisable.

KBG
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #57942 is a reply to message #33808 ] Tue, 04 December 2012 06:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Esoteric777  is currently offline Esoteric777
Go to my shop
so you can or cant use acetone?

mine had some kind of crystalization on it still trying to figure out how to get that off any ideas?
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #57962 is a reply to message #28535 ] Tue, 04 December 2012 16:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Phxman  is currently offline Phxman
Go to all my models
My recent FUD deliveries no longer have the hard wax to remove, instead there
is an oily sludge deposit that flushes easily with a hot water jet and w/up liquid.

Post-production, I think Shapeways must sometimes use a solvent to either
chip-out items or check detail is present on very small items.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 December 2012 16:38 UTC]

Re: FUD wax removal. [message #57967 is a reply to message #57962 ] Tue, 04 December 2012 17:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Giga Bread  is currently offline Giga Bread
Go to my shop
Phxman wrote on Tue, 04 December 2012 16:35

My recent FUD deliveries no longer have the hard wax to remove, instead there
is an oily sludge deposit that flushes easily with a hot water jet and w/up liquid.

Post-production, I think Shapeways must sometimes use a solvent to either
chip-out items or check detail is present on very small items.

Same here. I just soak my parts in isopropyl alcohol for a few minutes and its a perfect surface to paint.

My last three orders have been excellent and I'm considering making my parts public again.
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #67125 is a reply to message #57967 ] Tue, 30 April 2013 09:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar nanomaquette  is currently offline nanomaquette
Go to all my models
i have found a very simple way for wax removal: compressed air.
i washed my last FUD-prints with some "nail polish remover" (without acetone) and then literally blown away the liquid with compresed air.
That works for me better than anything i tried before!
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #72259 is a reply to message #67125 ] Sat, 27 July 2013 16:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar patmat2350  is currently offline patmat2350
Go to my shop
I've had about the same results with warm water and Spic n'Span soap, floor wax stripper, lacquer thinner, Bestine, and paint thinner. And all leave the tenacious frosty surface on parts which needs to be mechanically abraded away (which includes Grit Blasting, see the other thread here).

Due to the cruddy surface, I am loathe to offer any detail parts for public sale, ruining my plans to take over the world (drats!).

What really puzzles me is Shapeways' and 3D System's silence on this topic. Come on people, this is YOUR process, make some recommendations!
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #72266 is a reply to message #28535 ] Sat, 27 July 2013 19:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Giga Bread  is currently offline Giga Bread
Go to my shop
I think the only way to get a clear result is by molding and then casting in a vacuumed clear resin. Even if you successfully cleaned an item and got a clear result, it's always ging to be at risk down the road.
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #72267 is a reply to message #72266 ] Sat, 27 July 2013 19:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I have been getting better and better prints. I've also gotten better at removing the crusty frosting stuff. A couple of bathes in simple green,,, dry,,, bathe in alcohol,,, dry then finally use a tooth pick or a bamboo skewer and a little pressure to rub the crust off.
Before you make molds, you really need to get that crust off.
Here are some castings from most recent prints.
 https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3 7326&

• Attachment: mzM.jpg
    (Size: 333.52KB, Downloaded 478 time(s))

[Updated on: Sat, 27 July 2013 19:18 UTC]

Re: FUD wax removal. [message #72271 is a reply to message #72267 ] Sat, 27 July 2013 19:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
What I have found is that painting the crusty bits with a liquid styrene glue, such as polyweld or MEK/butanone using a stiff (hogs hair) brush will remove the crusts. My work flow is something like -- ultrasonic with lots of detergent -> dry -> paint with polyweld -> ultrasonic -> dry -> acrylic paint -> sand -> ultrasonic -> dry -> acrylic paint, and maybe repeat the last sand/paint cycle.

Bill Bedford
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #79809 is a reply to message #72271 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 20:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar svenvanderhart  is currently offline svenvanderhart
Go to my shop
It looked like the days of a thick layer of wax were behind us, but in my last order I received one bag with my models almost clean and 10 minutes in White Spirit cleaned them up. But another bag with thick wax stuck to it. I am puzzled why two similar products, ordered at the same time, are so completely different in the amount of wax left on the products. I've tried white spirit, I've tried 6 minutes in 60 degrees C ultrasone bath and 10 minutes in an 70 degrees oven. No change at all. Any idea's?

• Attachment: IMG_4741.jpg
    (Size: 383.25KB, Downloaded 68 time(s))

http://tramworks.nl
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #79817 is a reply to message #79809 ] Mon, 25 November 2013 22:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hello
I had the same problem with my parts. I used Bestine in the ultrasonic cleaner which cut the wax. What you are seeing looks like mine did
after a ultrasonic bath. But I now use an air eraser and baking soda and that process gets all that junk off the part. Harbor freight freight is where I got mine for $25.

So I do some baking soda sandblasting and my parts cleaned up just great.

Bob
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #79841 is a reply to message #79817 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 10:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MitchellJetten  is currently offline MitchellJetten
Go to all my models
I work here
The Zebra effect Smile

Email Customer Service with the picture and the order number so you can get a reprint Smile
This effect happens from time to time and we don't really know what is causing this Sad

Normally we reprint this right away, but it's not always visible due to the translucent material.

Kind regards,

Mitchell Jetten
Customer Service Coordinator
Shapeways
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #79842 is a reply to message #79841 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 11:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the replies.

@Mitchell: That is sorted, thank you. I just thought it wasn't worth a re-print and imagined I could get rid of it easily. But on my models I can't use a brush, as suggested several times in this thread. It has to come off by melting or rinsing, but didn't.

Re: FUD wax removal. [message #79864 is a reply to message #79809 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 14:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
This thread has photos of my parts after the baking soda thing:

https://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=700 79&#msg_70079

These are smaller than a pencil eraser tip also

Bob
Re: FUD wax removal. [message #79866 is a reply to message #79864 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 14:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Interesting read, but I don't see myself going that far. It's wax, so it should be "meltable", isn't it? The right fluid in combination with the right temperature should be able to dissolve it, right? My model has walls and parts behind walls, with fine rods inside, so "blasting" it is not option.

Re: FUD wax removal. [message #79889 is a reply to message #79866 ] Tue, 26 November 2013 17:38 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
I prefer to use a combination of heat and baking soda and some burnishing for mine. Last Friday I received a print that while not horrible, was not as good as the prints I have been receiving. The problem was with residue from the support material all over the face. Fortunately it is a 1:6 head and was not difficult to clean up quickly but I missed my window of opportunity to go to production at a relevant time due to shipping.
It shipped in record time, in fact 4 days after the order was placed, but UPS did not deliver it till 7 days after it was shipped. It just languished in some backwater warehouse in NY before actually being sent to me.
I wish Shapeways had an option to ship USPS. The United States Postal Service ships first class mail up to 13 oz for a couple of bucks and I have never seen them take more than 3 days to deliver a package from New York to California. UPS makes sure that your package is delivered the maximum number of days you pay for while the U.S. Post Office delivers all packages as soon as they can.
index.php?t=getfile&id=45932&private=0

• Attachment: 11.jpg
    (Size: 37.81KB, Downloaded 283 time(s))

Pages (3): [ «    1  2  3] 

Previous Topic:Best Material For Products with Letters and Fine Detail
Next Topic:Cleaning and Sanding Full Color Sandstone

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.