Home »  » Post Production Techniques » Questions about WSF vs WSF Polished
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Questions about WSF vs WSF Polished [message #48595] Thu, 17 May 2012 15:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar gordonrobb  is currently offline gordonrobb
Go to my shop
I am making a model of my daughter and her (soon to be ) Husband for the top of their wedding cake. I have only tested by getting a print of a head that is the right size (the model will only be 150 mm so the head was tiny). I have noticed that a lot of the details on the head are not showing up, but can't really afford to go for the more detailed options. My intention would be to finish the surface and the paint.

My question is that if I use WSF polished will even more of the detail be gone? (Eyes, lips for example) as it tumbles the print.

Also, if I decide to work with the WSF, am I right in the assumption I am best using some spray on sealant/lacquer that I then sand off, to get teh surface smooth?

Any help would be apprecieated, I have poured over most of the threads, but wanted a comparison between WSF and WSF polished regarding details.
Re: Questions about WSF vs WSF Polished [message #49194 is a reply to message #48595 ] Wed, 30 May 2012 17:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
With the polishing you will lose some detail. What about making the more detailed parts out of FUD, and making the bulk less detailed areas WSF?

P.S. moved to post production techniques as you'll get help for sealing WSF. The Instruction page is more for instructions how to assemble certain 3D printed items in shops.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 May 2012 17:25 UTC]

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Questions about WSF vs WSF Polished [message #49214 is a reply to message #49194 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 07:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar gordonrobb  is currently offline gordonrobb
Go to my shop
Thanks. I got a sample head (thatsnthenright size) printed in polished and what you lose in detail is more than gained in smoothness. I might try pricing it in FUD though just to see the difference thanks.

Previous Topic:paint white detail/transparent detail
Next Topic:Screws / Threading in Plastic and Steel

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.