Home »  » It arrived! » Gear Heart arrived!
Search Search  
 () 3 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Gear Heart arrived! [message #4572] Sun, 24 May 2009 01:54 UTC Go to next message
avatar thehumanhive  is currently offline thehumanhive
Go to my shop
Hi Everyone,

Gear Heart has arrived and I wanted to share some pictures and video with you all.
Here is a link to the product page: Gear Heart

I got a little too excited and I forgot to take pictures of the pieces before I sent them swimming. Sad

I used Jacquard Vermillion Acid Dye following the instructions on their website and got some strange results. If anybody would like details on how to achieve the same strange results, just let me know. I'd be happy to share. Razz

Here is the assembled heart!
http://www.kilbit.com/IMG_4417.jpg

The dyed heart looks, feels, and sounds like it is made from wood. (Perhaps, Purpleheart?)

Anyhow, let's get to what we've all been waiting for... ::drum roll:: ... the video!

Gear Heart - The Movie! (and, in .mp4 format, here)

I have one more video to show that, although some of the gears have "play" in them, the model as a whole is still fairly rigid and certainly quite durable. (Perhaps I'll be able to tighten it up a bit with a revision.)

Gear Heart - Durable? (and, in .mp4 format, here)

Thank you to everyone for all the kind words and encouragement I've received so far. I really appreciate it.

Best regards,
~David

[Updated on: Mon, 25 May 2009 15:38 UTC]

Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4573 is a reply to message #4572 ] Sun, 24 May 2009 01:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Just a couple more pictures...

Gear Heart - Front
http://www.kilbit.com/IMG_4433.jpg

Gear Heart - Back
http://www.kilbit.com/IMG_4428.jpg

Enjoy!
~David
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4574 is a reply to message #4573 ] Sun, 24 May 2009 02:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fracai  is currently offline fracai
Go to my shop
That is amazing!

It took me a second to wrap my mind around the fact that the pieces can still rotate, but I get it now.

Congrats!
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4577 is a reply to message #4572 ] Sun, 24 May 2009 04:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar daddymack  is currently offline daddymack
Go to my shop
Brilliant! well done pushing the envelope David
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4582 is a reply to message #4572 ] Sun, 24 May 2009 13:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whystler  is currently offline Whystler
Go to my shop
Boohoo! I can't see the movies *pout!

Are these really the urls with the %20's in them? :

http://www.kilbit.com/Gear%20Heart.mov

http://www.kilbit.com/Gear%20Heart%20-%20Durability.mov

Pictures look great though!

-Whystler

Check out my website: http://tshawnjohnson.wordpress.com/
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4585 is a reply to message #4572 ] Sun, 24 May 2009 16:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you, guys! Very Happy

@Whystler: My bad. I've updated the links in the first post to include .mp4 formats. Let me know if you're unable to view those and I'll figure something else out.
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4608 is a reply to message #4585 ] Mon, 25 May 2009 14:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hmm,

I'm pretty sure it's not the movie format that's the problem. I think it might be the killbit link. Did you mean to have "%20" in the link?

-Whystler

Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4611 is a reply to message #4608 ] Mon, 25 May 2009 15:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
%20's are supposed to be the "safe" equivalent of a spaces. It was sloppy of me to leave them in there. Razz

Anyhow, I removed them and updated the links above. Please let me know if you're still unable to watch them.

Thanks!
David
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4614 is a reply to message #4572 ] Mon, 25 May 2009 19:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nshortino  is currently offline Nshortino
Go to my shop
Up until seeing the videos I had no idea how the thing could still rotate correctly. I understood the concept, but couldn't quite picture the rotating in my head. After seeing it in action, all I have to say is WOW!!!
Also, the dyed red really makes the heart form stand out even better. You're right when you said it looks like wood. I'd challenge anyone to make an working wooden version though.
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4623 is a reply to message #4614 ] Tue, 26 May 2009 17:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
OK, so I've gotten a Gear Heart, how do I assemble it?

Joris
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4629 is a reply to message #4623 ] Tue, 26 May 2009 19:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Gijs  is currently offline Gijs
Go to my shop
Wow, David, this turned out very well. I like the sound of it!

Congrats as well for winning the contest!

cheers,
Gijs

www.studiogijs.nl
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4632 is a reply to message #4629 ] Tue, 26 May 2009 23:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
It's great to see the video! I was able to view it by downloading it instead of opening in a web page.

-Whystler

Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4634 is a reply to message #4632 ] Wed, 27 May 2009 06:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Wow, that is so cool ! Smile
The movement is so unexpected and funky !
Great job man !

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4635 is a reply to message #4572 ] Wed, 27 May 2009 06:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank you, guys! Smile I really love how it turned out. It definitely feels and sounds like a wooden toy/puzzle.

I'd like to see if I can't reinforce the connectors with a little cyanoacrylate as they seem to get looser the more they're played with.

Anybody have results from experimenting with WS&F parts rubbing together? I'm curious.

@Joris: I've sent you an email with instructions on how to assemble it. I apologize now if they get confusing. Wink
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4718 is a reply to message #4635 ] Tue, 02 June 2009 03:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MaxSMoke777  is currently offline MaxSMoke777
Go to my shop
This is another time I would like to bring up Electroplating. It would not only tighten up those gears, but look BAD-AZZ in Copper or Nickel.

My father's agreed to help me setup a plating operation. As soon as I get the components, and test it out with a few of my little $10 Dirty Rats, I'll have to try it out on one of these.
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4719 is a reply to message #4572 ] Tue, 02 June 2009 04:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Btw, can you reduce the size by %50 and add a loop to the top. Not only would this cut the cost down by %75 (cubic reduction!), but it would make a KILLER pendant!

I know, you'd have to rework the model, but it would be completely worth your time.
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4746 is a reply to message #4719 ] Thu, 04 June 2009 08:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi,

great idea, to make it a pendant!
After the resize we need to make it in metal! No?

regards,
Peter
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #4752 is a reply to message #4746 ] Thu, 04 June 2009 14:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Once reduced by %50, the cost should be around $35, a great price for impulse purchases. The cost of metal is x6 WSF, pushing the cost of the item back up around $210, which isn't too bad for something so unique.

Of course, your joints that hold it together are designed for WSF, right? Metal's level of flexibility is different. You might not be able to click the parts together without re-working the joints.

But the first thing you should do is contact Haruki Nakamura and make sure he's ok with you reverse engineering and selling copies of his creation here. You've copied his design so precisely and accurately that there might some legal issues involved.

I hasten to bring this up, as I'm about to order a copy myself. But if you plan on working a less expensive version with broader sales potential, you might want to make sure you have all of your bases covered.
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #11595 is a reply to message #4572 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 18:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pdlincoln  is currently offline pdlincoln
Go to all my models
Great idea. Thanks to thehumanhive for making it available,
and thanks for making the videos, etc. I dyed mine with RIT
scarlet powder and it came out great. See attached pictures
and detailed notes on dyeing.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3215&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=3216&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=3217&private=0

I used RIT dye scarlet powder.
1/2 level teaspoon RIT powder in 1/2 gallon water (approx).
(RIT instructions say 1 Tablespoon for 3 gallons)
Heat plain tap water to boil on stove in small steel pot.
Take off heat.
Let pot cool a few minutes (might be ~160 degrees F).
Add 1/2 teaspoon RIT scarlet powder dye.
Stir.
(RIT instructions say to pre-disolve powder in small
amount of water, then dump dyed water into heated pan
of water. I didn't bother. It turned out just fine.)
Drop in clean dry parts.
(RIT instructions say to wet fabric before dyeing, but
it worked well for me to just drop in the WSF parts dry)
Stir occasionally.
Every couple minutes lift out of water to see what color it is.
(of course wet items appear darker than when they are dry)
After approximately 12 minutes of dyeing the color was nice.
Rinse in warm water.
Rinse in warm soapy water.
Rinse in cold water.
Set on rack or paper to dry.

Detailed notes:
I spread out some newspaper to avoid getting dye on the counter.
I used some nitrile gloves so my fingers wouldn't get dyed.

Parts with only one narrow opening (eg all external gear heart
pieces) didn't seem to get dye inside. This wasn't a problem.
The dye penetrated plenty by soaking through the WSF from the
outside. The resulting color looks pretty even and deep.

I had already assembled the new white heart, and thought
about disassembling it for the dyeing process, but
I intuited that the dye job would be fine leaving it
assembled. So that's what I did. Just dropped the
whole assembled dry white gear heart in the dye bath.
It floated (because the external gear heart parts
are hollow, and dye didn't find its way inside).
I used a slotted spoon to hold it under the surface,
and used the same spoon to occasionally lift it out
to see what color it was.

The end result looks great.

Thanks, thehumanhive, great idea, and thanks, Shapeways,
for providing a great service.

Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #11596 is a reply to message #11595 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 18:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar svofski  is currently offline svofski
Go to all my models
This is the most incredible "gearbox" I have ever seen!
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #11606 is a reply to message #4572 ] Sat, 10 April 2010 00:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
Wow. Thats all I have to say.

Well, maybe not.

Amazing.

I might have to look into getting one of those if you make it into a pendant. Very Happy

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #11672 is a reply to message #4572 ] Sun, 11 April 2010 17:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
pdl,

Thank you for your purchase and posting these details.

The photos and finished model look great! The color is definitely very bright and uniform. You've convinced me to go purchase RIT scarlet dye. Wink

Perhaps Shapeways could offer a red color? Even if it were a only for a few months, like a "Valentine's day through Mother's day" thing? (I know it is too late for this year. Maybe next year. Smile) I think it would look fantastic on a lot of models.

All,
Thank you. I'm still looking at other options for this model including different shapes, larger and smaller models. My thoughts right now are that material restrictions would prevent pendant-size models (i.e. the 'burrs' on unpolished steel, the tolerances of WS&F, and the flexibility on the Detail materials).

I've printed half-size models and have yet to a create a model that will work.

Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #11696 is a reply to message #4572 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 10:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tones3-d  is currently offline tones3-d
Go to my shop
Brilliant!

I have always loved odd-shaped gears, but your Gear Heart is right off axis!!

Thanks for posting.
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #11721 is a reply to message #4572 ] Mon, 12 April 2010 18:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pdlincoln  is currently offline pdlincoln
Go to all my models
You are welcome. One minor point, the color isn't perfectly uniform. I'd say it is very nice, more than good enough.
But there is some slight difference in color on the sharpest edges, and parts with different curvature and different orientation to the SLS assembly process can have slightly different net color. For example, the top middle gear has some slight variation in color on both lobes. Again, very nice color, in my opinion, but not perfect.
I think if the nylon WSF dust were colored before SLS, the color would be more uniform. Thus your suggestion that Shapeways offer colored service makes sense.

Maybe green for saint Patrick's day, red for valentines, pink for mothers day, orange for Halloween, etc. Certainly there would be operational issues of offering different colored dust, perhaps meaning there is more delay (waiting for enough batches of parts of a color to be ordered before printing) etc. Perhaps Shapeways could expose their part-production pipeline so customers could see how long the delay would be in one or more colors, what the delay would be for white. Depending on the growth of Shapeways total volume production, this could make sense in the future, even if it has too large an impact on operational business aspects to implement immediately.

pdl.

> The photos and finished model look great! The color is definitely
> very bright and uniform. You've convinced me to go purchase RIT
> scarlet dye. Wink
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #12625 is a reply to message #11595 ] Sun, 09 May 2010 14:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
Thank you very much for detailing your dyeing process, and I have to say that this mechanical heart was one of the first things on shapeways that made me go _wow_.

Does anyone have any opinions about the quality/durability difference between getting coloured pieces directly from shapeways versus ordering in WSF and dyeing yourself?

I'm going to order some of these RIT dyes too. I see powders and liquid listed online, is it just the powder that is good? Anyone know if there is a Dylon equivalent?

Cheers!!
Sandy
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #12627 is a reply to message #12625 ] Sun, 09 May 2010 18:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
The Shapeways dying process gives the same appearance and durability, in my experience . The only issue I've had is that if they don't clean the parts enough before dying, the surface wears off and white is exposed. They seem to have gotten better at cleaning the surface off lately, so maybe no longer an issue. I always dye now because it is cheaper.

Powder and liquid dyes produce nearly identical results. The colors always end up darker for me than the color on the boxes, I always go with the lighter colors now.

Be sure to stir the pot continuously or hold them under the water with a spoon, or the color may be uneven. I've also seen uneven coloring due to the plastic layering and the fact that it absorbs the dye differently depending on the layer direction. Some colors show more differences than others.

-George

euphy wrote on Sun, 09 May 2010 14:41

Thank you very much for detailing your dyeing process, and I have to say that this mechanical heart was one of the first things on shapeways that made me go _wow_.

Does anyone have any opinions about the quality/durability difference between getting coloured pieces directly from shapeways versus ordering in WSF and dyeing yourself?

I'm going to order some of these RIT dyes too. I see powders and liquid listed online, is it just the powder that is good? Anyone know if there is a Dylon equivalent?

Cheers!!
Sandy

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2010 18:11 UTC]

Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #12628 is a reply to message #12627 ] Sun, 09 May 2010 20:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar euphy  is currently offline euphy
Go to my shop
Thanks George, I'm sure I'm not the only one that appreciates the reply - I'm going to get a few different dyes and see how they come out.

Cheers!
sn
Re: Gear Heart arrived! [message #12650 is a reply to message #4572 ] Mon, 10 May 2010 13:53 UTC Go to previous message
avatar 4m3D  is currently offline 4m3D
Go to my shop
I have never seen anything like this before!

FANTASTIC Work....

You blew my mind!

Todd
www.4m3d.com

Previous Topic:Floppy 3x3x3 by OSKAR
Next Topic:Steel Ring - Vizor (defying the Stainless Steel rules)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.