Home » Community » It arrived! » Fresh recruits for my clone army from @shapeways and @nliang!
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon14.gif  Fresh recruits for my clone army from @shapeways and @nliang! [message #29563] Thu, 23 June 2011 19:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar tristan_bethe  is currently offline tristan_bethe
Go to my shop
Getting ready for a little expo stand at a local Golf tournament (cheese Golf) for which I have been asked to make a custom trophy for the winner of this charity event. The winner will have him/her self on/as the trophy! Should be pretty cool. In return for this effort I have a chance to show of my 3D scanning work to the participants.

In an epic rush I am preparing a site, graphic design and a collection to show.
Alas! I made a boo-boo. I uploaded full color models to @shapeways and see your models in all its glory in a small color preview. Since images have a bigger influence on me than a dropdown box I went right along and ordered them in the default material: White, Strong & Flexible. In the wise words of Homer: D'oh!

I only realized this when the models where already in the mail and nothing was to be done but still wonder at the quality and coolness of the prints....and order them again, this time in full color (I checked trice!)

Doubtless I will be confronted with this very costly lack of concentration from my wife @cinidi for quite some time to come and a unknown penance still awaits me.

In related news @nliang, product manager @shapeways, sent me a sample grandpa to test something.
I was very happy with the color prints of @shapeways (and believe me I now tested quite a few others) but their wax finish was not always consistent. The previous grandpa statuette I ordered had white spots all over from the moment it arrived. I microwaved it to melt the wax and equalize the wort of it and incidentally proving that @shapeways models do not have voodoo properties no matter how realistic the likeness.

What I wanted to see was how the model would look without the wax finish and maybe adding my own if at all possible. @nliang was so kind to make a test print and sent it to me at no cost (leave it to me to incur extra cost to myself, I excel at that!)

@nliang warned me that I probably would not like the result. However even without the wax finish it still looks amazing! It is a bit more dusty but I see the potential for adding your own varnish layer. The superglue test I did on another model was very promising. Problem now is: what if I actually want to order this for my prints in the future? How to go about this issue? I feel a check box on the upload page coming up Wink

Expect some photos of cool full color models soon!

• Attachment: IMG_9348.jpg
    (Size: 1.12MB, Downloaded 193 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_9376.jpg
    (Size: 881.21KB, Downloaded 124 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_9379.jpg
    (Size: 847.91KB, Downloaded 89 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_9380.jpg
    (Size: 842.31KB, Downloaded 105 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_9386.jpg
    (Size: 991.72KB, Downloaded 117 time(s))

See more of my 3D scanning/printing adventures here: http://3dpersons.com/ or statyou.com
Re: Fresh recruits for my clone army from @shapeways and @nliang! [message #29976 is a reply to message #29563 ] Thu, 30 June 2011 17:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
Lol, love your humor in your post! Also really like the models all lined up together in the family. Great work. The color version of grandpa isn't too shabby either considering the technology. The colors seem a little washed and grainy. I've used krylon matte coat in the past, sprayed it in 3 layers over some larger figures I had, the painting got darker and a little glossier. (Krylon gloss coat would prolly do the same, errr)
Re: Fresh recruits for my clone army from @shapeways and @nliang! [message #30025 is a reply to message #29976 ] Fri, 01 July 2011 07:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tristan_bethe  is currently offline tristan_bethe
Go to my shop
Hey thanks for the tip! I was still looking for an alternative for the wax finish. I was happy to see that the waxless version shapeways was able to sent me had all the colors in it so I just have to find a good alternative to the wax.

Oh btw do not try to use model glue Smile I tried it since superglue worked very well but is a bit expensive in larger quantities and horrible to work with (Doctor: "...you have a miniature grandpa stuck to your thumb because??")

The model glue gave almost the same spots as the wax...

Have to look for an european alternative for the krylon. Can probably find it in a arts/crafts shop.

See more of my 3D scanning/printing adventures here: http://3dpersons.com/ or statyou.com
Re: Fresh recruits for my clone army from @shapeways and @nliang! [message #30035 is a reply to message #30025 ] Fri, 01 July 2011 12:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Nane  is currently offline Nane
Go to all my models
Yeah, anything artists use to coat their pencils/charcoals etc is usually a safe bet for being good. Krylon sells two kinds, one that allows you to work on it even after spraying a coat of it then a permanent kind, I prefer the permanent. For my cold cast porcelain statue, after painting it I sprayed it once, then let it completely dry. (4-5 hours) Then I hit it again, let it dry, and all the colors got a little darker and glossier. Then I hit it a third time and it got slightly darker and glossier again. I somewhat prefer this over the gloss coat as it allows you to "choose" your own level of gloss "so to speak" in layers and of course one coat will just give you flat matte which is preferred for most minis and artwork.

You can actually hit the model with additional coats while it is still drying but the gloss effect will be heavier along with darkening the paint. Not necessarily a bad thing pending what you are going for.

Previous Topic:Branchlet bangle in black
Next Topic:Vulcan Prototype