Home » Community » Introductions » help with prosthetic
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
help with prosthetic [message #50330] Mon, 25 June 2012 12:44 UTC Go to next message
avatar cormo  is currently offline cormo
Go to all my models
Hi! I had a mastectomy and I'd like a light weight compressible water-proof breast prosthetic. I wear a standard model symmetrical 4. The silicone models on the market are heavy and hard to swim with. They also weigh down the pocket in my swimsuit that is designed to hold prosthetics. From the videos of the compressible shapeways material, it looks like this could work. If it does, it would work for regular use as well as for swimming, since it would be huggable and comfortable to exercise with. Does anybody reading this know how to design such a thing? Since 1 out of 8 women get breast cancer, there should be a large market for a swim prosthetic.
Re: help with prosthetic [message #50331 is a reply to message #50330 ] Mon, 25 June 2012 12:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
The Black Elasto plastic unfortunately is not water tight,
so I'm afraid it might absorb water which would weigh it down.

Perhaps if it were enclosed in some sort of water tight pouch it could work.

Regards,

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: help with prosthetic [message #50364 is a reply to message #50330 ] Mon, 25 June 2012 23:15 UTC Go to previous message
avatar cormo  is currently offline cormo
Go to all my models
How about if the finished prosthetic is dipped in silicone to coat it?

Previous Topic:I opened my shop on shapeways!
Next Topic:hello,i'm Alain

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.