Would this pendant work? (Both technical and design wise)

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 188031_deleted, Jun 22, 2012.

1. First things first, this is the test model I've done: (Previous link)
    Edit: Removed link since the model has since been removed..

I don't have the time nor money to do test-prints and I'm having trouble visualising how big it would actually turn out only seeing the model. I downloaded another pendant's model for size comparison but I'm still not sure, are there some good size guidelines to follow?

I wanted the design to be simple, but is it too simple? I was thinking of doing a small series of similar simple pendants.

Is the hoop for string/chain unneccesserily big? I want it as small as possible but still functional and strong so there's minimal risk of breaking.

Is all the thicknesses alright? I've seen some pretty thin designs but stainless steel is listed with a minumum wall-width of 3mm which the counter-relief part around the lightning doesn't clear (1.5mm) which has me worried.

Any other general feedback is greatly appreciated too :) .

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Hi!

Sizing of pendants is very personal, to this day I often am not sure what size is best for my own designs ;)

But I think your current sizing fits this pendant, it's about the size of a two euro coin I think (don't have any at hand) ?

And depending on your perspective everything is simple..
    Anyway, I like it ;)

Looks like the loop is about 5 mm, with 2 thickness?
    It is likely to be fine, but at this orientation you will need a split ring to attach it to a necklace, or it would hang sideways.
    Not a problem perse and production prefers the loop to be oriented flat.

I think thickness wise you should be fine too, there are some additional (more relaxed) rules for smaller steel items, but there are no real guarantees.

That said, if it is rejected or fails in production, you get a voucher or refund, so you can try again.

Flat object might slightly warp, but I lack experience with that as I have not really printed anything flat yet in steel.

Some other tips, as you see in the preview render on the site, the model is quite "faceted", you can see the edges of the faces making op the rounder parts. (especially the loop, but also the round rim on the disc)
    While Steel is polished, it's best to have the surface as smooth as possible.
    Most software has tessellation or subdivision modifiers to do this.

It's helpful to turn of any smoothing shader in your modelling app, or use meshlab to view your model to see if you can clearly see the faces.

Cheers,

Stijn

3. Thank you for the very helpful comment :) . Gonna be doing it much more hi-poly from now on, was too used to making gaming assets which needs to save polys if possible :p .

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Just to confirm Stijn's speculation about flat objects warping - yes they can warp, even with 3mm thickness. Also see the extra rules, Stainless Steel under 3mm (which, incidentally features some of my models as examples of what can & what shouldn't be done :rolleyes: )