Home » Support » 3D Design » Making a hole in Meshlab
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Making a hole in Meshlab [message #50030] Tue, 19 June 2012 17:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar ASCPhotos&Designs  is currently offline ASCPhotos&Designs
Go to my shop
I hope this is the right place to put this question out there.

I made a sculpture in Scuptris then Imported it into MeshLab to paint and export as .WRL. When I uploaded the sculpture it came out to be around $80!

I go to looking into the pricing and found that if I make it hallow that will help.

So here's my dilemma. I really don't want to have to repaint it all over again, but I don't know how to make a hole in the top of it in MeshLab. So if you can tell me how to accomplish this I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Thanks for your time, ASC
Re: Making a hole in Meshlab [message #50037 is a reply to message #50030 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 17:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Someone more MeshLab knowledgeable than me might be able to post a MeshLab method for incoporating a hole, however as far as I know MeshLab is software for manipulating a mesh rather than a full-on editor. To add a hole to make the outside skin and inside skin into a hollow watertight model, you need to save the meshes from MeshLab and then use different software to put the hole in, either as a boolean or direct mesh editing.

Re: Making a hole in Meshlab [message #50053 is a reply to message #50037 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 21:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks stop4stuff. I was afraid of that. (sigh) Oh well I guess I'll just repaint it.

Thanks again! ~ASC
Re: Making a hole in Meshlab [message #50102 is a reply to message #50030 ] Wed, 20 June 2012 12:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
What you could do before painting (I know a little late for that this time) export to Blender, make it hollow, and either paint in Blender or export back to sculptris to paint. Which ever you prefer.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Making a hole in Meshlab [message #50112 is a reply to message #50102 ] Wed, 20 June 2012 16:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
You're not too late, and thank you!

Blender and I haven't exactly gotten a long yet. LOL. Could you give me instructions on how to make it hallow?

ASCPhotos&Designs
Re: Making a hole in Meshlab [message #50607 is a reply to message #50030 ] Fri, 29 June 2012 17:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
To make a hole in blender to join the exterior and interior wall, select you object. Add another object(in this case I used a cylinder).
The connector between the outer and inner wall can be as tiny as you want. Its not a to drain unused material, it just alerts the 3D printer walls are there.
Do some scaling on the cylinder, make it long enough to intersect the two walls.Place it where you want the hole to be.
In edit mode, select all on the target object, change quads to tris(Cntrl T). Repeat for the hole maker(skinny cylinder). When you use the boolean modifier, it loves tris, less hassle for the computer.
Now select the target object, open up the boolean modifier,(select from modifier menu),
Select difference. Under object on that menu, click on the cube icon, select the name of the hole maker. Apply. You should now have both the outer wall and inner wall connected by a open ended cylinder, thus a hole.
Netfabb basic is good to check that the object is manifold, plus a volume measurement.
Blender versions 2.5 thru 2.63 have a modifier called solidify, where you can set exactly the thickness of the wall.(NICEY!) plus blender can be asked to search for non manifold meshes.
Any help you need with blender, go to # Blender channel on Freenode.net.

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Making a hole in Meshlab [message #50610 is a reply to message #50607 ] Fri, 29 June 2012 17:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Fredd wrote on Fri, 29 June 2012 17:18

To make a hole in blender to join the exterior and interior wall, select you object. Add another object(in this case I used a cylinder).
The connector between the outer and inner wall can be as tiny as you want. Its not a to drain unused material, it just alerts the 3D printer walls are there.
Do some scaling on the cylinder, make it long enough to intersect the two walls.Place it where you want the hole to be.
In edit mode, select all on the target object, change quads to tris(Cntrl T). Repeat for the hole maker(skinny cylinder). When you use the boolean modifier, it loves tris, less hassle for the computer.
Now select the target object, open up the boolean modifier,(select from modifier menu),
Select difference. Under object on that menu, click on the cube icon, select the name of the hole maker. Apply. You should now have both the outer wall and inner wall connected by a open ended cylinder, thus a hole.
Netfabb basic is good to check that the object is manifold, plus a volume measurement.
Blender versions 2.5 thru 2.63 have a modifier called solidify, where you can set exactly the thickness of the wall.(NICEY!) plus blender can be asked to search for non manifold meshes.
Any help you need with blender, go to # Blender channel on Freenode.net.

I never did all that, I just deleted the some faces and used the solidify modifier you speak of to make my items.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Making a hole in Meshlab [message #50637 is a reply to message #50030 ] Sat, 30 June 2012 01:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fredd  is currently offline Fredd
Go to all my models
The method you suggested works superb. I just hate to deface a mesh removing larger than necessary faces, then using solidify mod. With my method, at least you can drill between the walls at a spot that less noticeable. But with you a better modeler than I am, by far, I am not going to argue. I guess to each his/her own.Smile

Have any questions regarding Blender, and need fast answers, you are always welcome at the IRC Server Freenode, channel #blender. As a bonus, several there have experience in modelling for 3D prints.

Keith
Re: Making a hole in Meshlab [message #50649 is a reply to message #50637 ] Sat, 30 June 2012 16:24 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks Fredd! Smile

ASCPhotos&Designs

Previous Topic:Not attached?
Next Topic:AutoDesk Problems