Mini Grilli

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by RubenAlexander, Jun 19, 2012.

1. I've designed a small grilling tool around a tealight called the mini grilli and I've enjoyed the savory results for dinner last night and breakfast this morning. The only issue I have is the third time I cooked with it the enamel on the cooker cracked. Not sure why this would happen since Ceramic material can handle 932F and I don't think the tealight was cranking out that temperature. I have redesigned the base to be higher in case the flame is some how too hot for the material.

I personally don't think it will crack again with the redesign. Has anyone done temperature tests on shapeways Ceramic material? Has anyone tried cooking with shapeways Ceramic material?

Here's a link to the product https://www.shapeways.com/model/608408/mini-grilli-set.html.

Attached Files:

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    I forget the exact temperature that the hottest part of a candle flame can have, however uneven heating will cause uneven expansion and cracks no matter the material.

Awesome concept though!

3. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    Great idea in the event of a power outage... cooking for one though!

Glenn

4. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    Brilliant! Absolutely love it! :nod:

I think Paul is right, the uneven heat distribution, heating and cooling is what probably causes the cracking.

Perhaps print a stainless steel heat diffuser?
    Not sure how that will hold up though, so a cheap diffuser from somewhere might be better.

Ps for better exposure, embed the imagei nyour post using the link next to the attachment in edit mode.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  5. Ok so distribute the heating somehow and the cracks will be less likely. I'll work on this. I've grilled for a week so far and the cracks don't affect how the container holds liquids like water, hot oils, or chocolate.

Thanks for the feedback!