Home » Support » 3D Design » Downscale my design?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Downscale my design? [message #4631] Tue, 26 May 2009 20:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar mazmwa  is currently offline mazmwa
Go to all my models
Hello,
Its a long time back that i was here for the last time at shapeways. If have made a house in sketchup:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2jb0i94.jpg

Maybe i want to export this model upload and print it. But as you can see the house is in scale 1:1. My question is that can i upload the file just at 1:1 and than downscale it here when i order it?
Or do i need to downscale the model in sketchup first?
I think scale 1:100 is fine, but i have "little" details in the house (windows) can the printer print little details (0,3mm).

Greetz Maz

[Updated on: Tue, 26 May 2009 20:29 UTC]

Fryslán, The Netherlands | present
Re: Downscale my design? [message #4637 is a reply to message #4631 ] Wed, 27 May 2009 08:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Hi Maz,

you'll have to scale the file before uploading it to Shapeways. 0.3mm details should be fine!

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Downscale my design? [message #4643 is a reply to message #4637 ] Wed, 27 May 2009 13:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
bartv wrote on Wed, 27 May 2009 08:04

Hi Maz,

you'll have to scale the file before uploading it to Shapeways. 0.3mm details should be fine!

Cheers,

Bart

Ok thats clear. But how will my model be? Will it be a solid house are a hollow house?
I didn`t make "walls"!

Edit:
And i just can export my model to a .dae file?

[Updated on: Wed, 27 May 2009 13:47 UTC]

Re: Downscale my design? [message #4646 is a reply to message #4631 ] Wed, 27 May 2009 16:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I have downscaled the house to 1:100 (10cmx8cmx7,4cm) then i exported the file to a .dae file, this all was no problem.
When i uploaded the .dae file nothing went wrong, but when the uploading was done i get a screen that said that shapeways will look at the model if it is printable are not. Then is said something about that the will email me, and that the model will be in "my designs". But the model is not there (jet).

How is the progress of uploading works exactly? I could not find it at the website.
And how is shapeways calculation the price of the model?

Re: Downscale my design? [message #4650 is a reply to message #4646 ] Wed, 27 May 2009 19:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WiKKiDWidgets  is currently offline WiKKiDWidgets
Go to my shop
Depending on the server load it may take a little while for you to receive your emails from Shapeways automated system. If there are no problems with the model, you will receive a email titled "your model became printable". Once you receive this, the model will be in your "MyDesigns" page.
Re: Downscale my design? [message #4651 is a reply to message #4650 ] Wed, 27 May 2009 19:58 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
WiKKiDWidgets wrote on Wed, 27 May 2009 19:51

Depending on the server load it may take a little while for you to receive your emails from Shapeways automated system. If there are no problems with the model, you will receive a email titled "your model became printable". Once you receive this, the model will be in your "MyDesigns" page.

Oke thats clear, i just received the email that is was not printable because of the inverted faces ..
Tanx for your reply

Previous Topic:Creator fails to launch with Socket error on Ubuntu 9.04
Next Topic:Inverted normals?!