Home » Community » 3D modeler needed » Need simple 3D shape
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Need simple 3D shape [message #49570] Sat, 09 June 2012 00:01 UTC Go to next message
avatar demackison  is currently offline demackison
Go to my shop
I do wood carving with draw knife and chisel in Kentucky and a blacksmith in Arizona is going to make pieces to fit in my work. I need to send him a piece that he can use as a model to check fit of his pieces to mine. Rather than send him a sample of my work with all the imperfections common to doing work by hand, I would like to 3D print an idealized model for him to work against.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with autoCAD or any other 3D modeling program and no idea how much such a project would cost. Help!
Re: Need simple 3D shape [message #49571 is a reply to message #49570 ] Sat, 09 June 2012 00:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
https://tinkercad.com/embed/8Kx1dnogcbi?editbtn=1

For now, let me see if I can describe it to you. It is a single object made from one piece of material with three sections. It doesn't move or have any joints. All three sections share a centerline. The whole thing is about 12 inches long (but the length isn't exact and can be several inches shorter or longer).

The first section is a cylinder with an oval cross section, 1.5" x 1" and 5"-6" long

The third section is also strait and 5"-6" long, but has a flattened hexagon for a cross section. The hex is 2" wide at the widest with the sides at the widest point 3/4" tall. The height of the the flattened hex is 1.5" point-to-point perpendicular to the width. You can go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/50288439@N03/6904370500/in/phot ostream to see the shape I am talking about. Imagine the third section of the thing we building fitting snugly through that hole.

The middle section is a flattened cone, extending at a 45 degree angle from the axis of the cylinder out to the third section. I don't know if I can describe the line between the second and third section, but the four sides touching the top and bottom points of the hex cut through the cone, making the cone look sort of Y-shaped from above.
Re: Need simple 3D shape [message #49573 is a reply to message #49571 ] Sat, 09 June 2012 02:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lawrs1  is currently offline lawrs1
Go to my shop
PM Sent
Re: Need simple 3D shape [message #49586 is a reply to message #49573 ] Sat, 09 June 2012 11:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
PM sent

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Need simple 3D shape [message #49686 is a reply to message #49571 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 19:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar CADNinja  is currently offline CADNinja
Go to my shop
PM Sent

Inspire through Design, Create Solutions, Deliver on Promise
Re: Need simple 3D shape [message #49689 is a reply to message #49686 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 19:33 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Thanks JACANT!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/599203/e372fcad28def5dc539b14 ffa6396d69

Previous Topic:14mm x 1.0 Left hand and Right hand Threads
Next Topic:3D Modeler Needed for Fantasy Miniature Design

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.