Home » Community » General Discussion » Advice on material for rings
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Advice on material for rings [message #49378] Mon, 04 June 2012 09:40 UTC Go to next message
avatar iamsmallhall  is currently offline iamsmallhall
Go to all my models
Hi! I'm looking for some advice please! A friend is making my engagement and wedding rings who lives in Australia (I'm from the UK) and she has sent over the .stl file of 3 rings so we can get them printed to try on for size.

I'm not sure which material is going to be the best one to use for this first phase of the design.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks.

Kathy
Re: Advice on material for rings [message #49379 is a reply to message #49378 ] Mon, 04 June 2012 10:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
You shouldn't have to try. Neutral
Ring sizes are defined.

For example,
US size 2 = British D = 13.26mm inner diameter

Just ask a local jeweller or goldsmith. They should have a standardised ring gauge.

But if you want to try:
White, Strong & Flexible
The design rules for WSF are pretty close to the rules for SW's Sterling Silver, and it's cheap.

[Updated on: Mon, 04 June 2012 15:32 UTC]

Re: Advice on material for rings [message #49425 is a reply to message #49379 ] Tue, 05 June 2012 14:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for your feedback, I think I worded it wrong. Razz I know I'm a ring size H. The .stl files that my friend has sent over are different widths (so I can work out the best combo).

If you recommend WSF then I will go with this. I was a bit concerned by it's strength as I don't want to snap the ring when I put it over my knuckle!

However if this a popular material used for test prints for jewellery models then I'll go with this.

Thanks
Re: Advice on material for rings [message #49427 is a reply to message #49378 ] Tue, 05 June 2012 14:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
For my prototype ring, I used White detail. White detail is higher detail, but not as flexable. You don't have to worry about snapping a ring of wsf on your knuckle. I made a chain of .7mm thick links, and it took a lot of force to snap on of the links. It definitely looked weaker than it was.

Your friendly neighborhood Moderman
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Advice on material for rings [message #49428 is a reply to message #49427 ] Tue, 05 June 2012 15:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks so much for all the advice.

I've just ordered, can't wait to see the results and will let you know how they turn out.
Re: Advice on material for rings [message #49528 is a reply to message #49428 ] Thu, 07 June 2012 15:00 UTC Go to previous message
avatar SGDesigns  is currently offline SGDesigns
Go to my shop
Yeah, I've printed in WSF for test prints, but the detail isn't all there. The material I prefer is White Detail. This shows more detail and is strong too, but not flexible. If you are printing a thicker ring, Frosted Detail or Frosted Ultra Detail works too. I did this today on a ring over 2mm thick. This is the best option as far as detail goes, but only on thick rings.

White detail for test prints
FD or FUD for thick test prints.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Sal G -
My Website
www.sgcustomsilver.com
Facebook Page
www.facebook.com/SGCustomSilver

Previous Topic:excellent service by Shapeways service staff (Joost Denissen)
Next Topic:Dad's Beer Ring

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.