z = x^2 - y^2 arrived!

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 174493_deleted, May 31, 2012.

1. This surface is called a hyperbolic paraboloid. (like Pringle potato chips). I made the file by exporting a graph from a Maple into an 3DX file, and then using MeshLab and NetFabb to convert it to a.stl file. I got a lot of helpful advice from this forum, especially from stonysmith. I am really amazed at how it turned out!

I plan to make a series of 3D graphs to share with students in the Calculus 3 class I will be teaching this September. I hope at some point to have the students make and print their own models.

Now I have to figure out how to paint it. Sorry the picture is out of focus--I need a new camera.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  2. That's made of WSF or polished WSF, right ?

Singe-color or multiple-color painting ?

3. It is white strong and flexible -- not polished, at least I think so. I want to paint the axes a different colour from the surface.

4. "White, Strong & Flexible, polished" is an separate material option - I guess you would know if you order it. ;)

As described in the tutorial, you can use a bunch of different colors to paint WSF... even nail varnish. ^^

Just follow the standard rule for almost every paintjob:
    "Multiple thin layers are always better than a single thick layer."
    Don't worry if the material soaks up the first layer. Usually, I need at least three (very thin) layers for an opaque prime coat.

(In my opinion, the guy in the video on the tutorial page has waaaaay to much color on the brush. ^^)