Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » paint white detail/transparent detail
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
paint white detail/transparent detail [message #49187] Wed, 30 May 2012 10:30 UTC Go to next message
avatar KIZZU  is currently offline KIZZU
Go to my shop
hi there!
can give me anybody an idea how to paint my modells?
what color makes sense? spray, paint,...???
it should be waterresistant and easy to process....
thanks
bea
Re: paint white detail/transparent detail [message #49190 is a reply to message #49187 ] Wed, 30 May 2012 13:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pfeiffer stylez  is currently offline pfeiffer stylez
Go to my shop
Step 1:
Use an old toothbrush (or somethink like that) and lukewarm water with a little bit dish liquid to clean the model.
The support material for the "Detail" materials is some kind of wax. The color won't adhere if the surface isn't clean.

Setp 2:
For Shapeways "Detail" materials, use a primer.

spray vs. paint
Well, that depends on the model's size, and the kind of paintjob.
I prefer an application by brush, but for bigger one-color-paintjobs a spray makes sense.

I use waterbased acrylic colors.
Cheap, non-toxic, easy to handle...
Just give the model an additional coat of clear varnish after you paint it.

Other people (mostly railroad modelers) use enamel colors with great success.

I have even seen one guy who used a lacquer spray paint which was intended for cars.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 May 2012 13:22 UTC]

Re: paint white detail/transparent detail [message #49191 is a reply to message #49187 ] Wed, 30 May 2012 13:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar KIZZU  is currently offline KIZZU
Go to my shop
hi pfeiffer stylez...thanks a lot!!! i ll try on it...
Re: paint white detail/transparent detail [message #49193 is a reply to message #49191 ] Wed, 30 May 2012 17:14 UTC Go to previous message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Have a dig through this sub-forum & use the search facility - soaking the model in a mild solution of Sodium Hydroxide for 10 mins, then brushing with a soft paint brush off under running water will remove the support material (uncured print material), repeat as many times as necessary for a clean transparent or white detail model.

Haven't a clue what paints are good but the method above will get the model totally clean.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 May 2012 17:16 UTC]

Previous Topic:cating/moulding tuts
Next Topic:Questions about WSF vs WSF Polished

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.