Judging how many poly to add in Sculptriss

Discussion in 'Software and Applications' started by 103505_deleted, May 29, 2012.

1. Hi I am using Sculptriss to model some bracelets for Shapways to print.

I am sort of checking them at a life size (actual size) on my monitor to stay in tune with the proportions of things.

Sculptriss automatically subdivides areas as you model.

What I am wondering is there any way to get an idea of how faceted or not a piece will be ?

The pieces look smooth at actuall size on the monitor but since I have not printed out any thing yet I am wondering how to really guage this from within the modeling software.

Thanks, Flubber

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    In Scupltris, use the 'W' to turn on the wireframe. You'll see the triangles that make up the model mesh. If you go over Shapeways 1 million triangle limit you can use the Reduce brush to selectively reduce the triangle count on areas that maybe do not need such a high count.

Another little tip, try to aim for triangles that are as small as the minimum detail or even half of that to ensure a smooth print with minimal stepping.

3. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    To add to that, Sculptris doesn't "do" scale. Your items will have a size, but it's not measurable in Sculptris. You'll have to export it out to another software to obtain the scale you want.

4. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Mike, Sculptris does do scale, it just doesn't show the units and it will keep the correct size of an imported OBJ file :)

[edit]similar to what you said, but different ;)

Last edited: May 30, 2012