Home » Support » Buying » PRICING - "STICKER SHOCK"
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
PRICING - "STICKER SHOCK" [message #49141] Tue, 29 May 2012 22:24 UTC Go to next message
avatar Chassoz  is currently offline Chassoz
Go to all my models
I saw an HO Scale truck just listed at over 500 Euros!
Is this an error?
Even 50 Eu. would be hefty and restrict buying.
Surely Shapeways would give advice to shops on pricing.
How does Shapeways work out a price?
Chassoz
Re: PRICING - "STICKER SHOCK" [message #49143 is a reply to message #49141 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 22:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Raw pricing is based on volume of material used - http://www.shapeways.com/materials

Items in people's Shapeways Shops can have a markup added by the designer - http://www.shapeways.com/betashops/faq_s_shops

Who knows why the price is so high, your best bet is to ask the shop/model owner direct.

Re: PRICING - "STICKER SHOCK" [message #49147 is a reply to message #49141 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 22:48 UTC Go to previous message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
3D printing has rather particular pricing. It is based on the volume used in the model.
Because of this, it is common to make models hollow so there is no material on the inside. So something that had the shape of a 8cm cube would use about 50cc of material.
However, if an inexperienced designer would make the same cube but would forget to make it hollow, it would have a volume of over 500cc.

Because pricing is linear in volume, the solid cube would cost 10 times as much as the hollow one. When I looked on the site I found one H0 scale truck with a price tag of $2000 and indeed, it looks like it has not been hollowed out.

It is up to designers to properly optimize their models for 3D printing and if they don't, these are the prices that show up. Of course, designers can set their own markups (which Shapeways does not in any way control) on top of the price of the model.

Previous Topic:Still in production
Next Topic:I need help under standing shipping costs

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.