Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Community » It arrived! » Low poly Escher lizard pendant
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Low poly Escher lizard pendant [message #49061] Tue, 29 May 2012 12:19 UTC Go to next message
avatar mygadgetlife  is currently offline mygadgetlife
Go to my shop
This is my first print in metal, and I'm really pleased with the result.

I modified the original to allow a cord to be passed through... only the design makes it difficult to insert the intended way (through the two holes on the reverse of the head).

A side effect of this was that I was forced to pass the cord through the larger hole and the neck - the result being that the little guy hangs in a more Gecko-like manner... which I think works out for the better.

Admittedly the cord was on the thick side - 2mm leather - a much thinner cord might work through the intended holes. While waiting for the print to arrive, I've figured out a way to implement larger holes, which I'll try in a future print.

One last point - the SS version does indeed tessellate with the WSF version... but only just... I'd need to take a file to the limbs of the plastic variant to make it fit properly... oh well, I quite like it as a stand alone piece... Smile

Shown here in Antique Bronze Matte.

index.php?t=getfile&id=17242&private=0

• Attachment: lzrd_sm.jpg
    (Size: 162.29KB, Downloaded 259 time(s))

mygadgetlife.blogspot.co.uk
Re: Low poly Escher lizard pendant [message #49063 is a reply to message #49061 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 13:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Very nice! Does it still lie flat on a table (cord removed)? I would like to see a photo of the back ...

[Updated on: Tue, 29 May 2012 13:46 UTC]

Re: Low poly Escher lizard pendant [message #49125 is a reply to message #49061 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 21:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hey thanks!

You can see from the photos how the reverse is designed... the holes are really too small to accept a fat cord (being my first metal print, I was highly aware of printing tolerances), but I got around the issue by threading as shown. I've re-done the reverse in a way which allows greater flexibility I think... I'll order a new print of this soon!

Alas, it doesn't lie flat - but the WSF version is only flat due to the loop being extremely small to the point of being almost unusable.

index.php?t=getfile&id=17255&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=17257&private=0

• Attachment: IMGP0107.JPG
    (Size: 196.40KB, Downloaded 216 time(s))

• Attachment: IMGP0102.JPG
    (Size: 56.94KB, Downloaded 218 time(s))

Re: Low poly Escher lizard pendant [message #49126 is a reply to message #49125 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 21:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Thanks! It does hang nicely as a pendant. Having a flat back and hanging nicely may not be possible. It would be cool if you could wear several of them and have them tesselate!

[Updated on: Tue, 29 May 2012 21:28 UTC]

Re: Low poly Escher lizard pendant [message #49137 is a reply to message #49061 ] Tue, 29 May 2012 22:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Like this? Very Happy (apologies for the flash photography... it's late...)

Amittedly, this is the only way the plastic will interface with the metal without a bit of filing. But the concept kind of works...

index.php?t=getfile&id=17258&private=0

• Attachment: IMGP0108.JPG
    (Size: 206.92KB, Downloaded 199 time(s))

Re: Low poly Escher lizard pendant [message #49210 is a reply to message #49137 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 05:47 UTC Go to previous message
avatar LesleyRobinson  is currently offline LesleyRobinson
Go to all my models
That is very cool!

Previous Topic:machine from leonardo da vinci
Next Topic:Pendants and character