Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Support » 3D Design » Tips on Hollowing High/Z Resolution Meshes
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Tips on Hollowing High/Z Resolution Meshes [message #4501] Tue, 19 May 2009 11:34 UTC Go to next message
avatar akeno  is currently offline akeno
Go to all my models
Hey guys.

So I'm one of "those guys", aka ZBrushers (I'm not alone here I know that!? Smile) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on hollowing out a high resolution mesh to reduce cost size. This is fairly easy to do with low resolution ones, but the higher one because of the face count become a real pain and my system starts to freeze and isn't able to handle it.

Is there a way to do this in ZBrush easily after the mesh is finished? I use Maya so it's really resource dependent on high messes and will probably freeze if I attempt most of mine. Cheers!
Re: Tips on Hollowing High/Z Resolution Meshes [message #4513 is a reply to message #4501 ] Tue, 19 May 2009 21:29 UTC Go to previous message
avatar daddymack  is currently offline daddymack
Go to my shop
Hi again akeno, there is a way to do this in Zbrush but it's fiddly

Basically you mask the whole mesh and then extract it with a very thin thickness

Hide the outer mesh and using tools>deformation>inflate 'push' the mesh inwards

You'll need to smooth parts out and do some cleanup etc it makes it easier to see what you're doing if you hit tools>display settings>double

basically unhide the outer shell and you're left with a hollowed tool;)

Otherwise you can 'push' a low res version in maya with inverted normals inside the high res exterior to create the same result but with less polys

Good luck
R

Previous Topic:inverted normals in rhino
Next Topic:inverted normals in rhino

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.