Tips on Hollowing High/Z Resolution Meshes

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by 21872_deleted, May 19, 2009.

1. 21872_deleted
    21872_deleted Member
    Hey guys.

So I'm one of "those guys", aka ZBrushers (I'm not alone here I know that!? :)) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on hollowing out a high resolution mesh to reduce cost size. This is fairly easy to do with low resolution ones, but the higher one because of the face count become a real pain and my system starts to freeze and isn't able to handle it.

Is there a way to do this in ZBrush easily after the mesh is finished? I use Maya so it's really resource dependent on high messes and will probably freeze if I attempt most of mine. Cheers!

2. daddymack
    daddymack Member
    Hi again akeno, there is a way to do this in Zbrush but it's fiddly

Basically you mask the whole mesh and then extract it with a very thin thickness

Hide the outer mesh and using tools>deformation>inflate 'push' the mesh inwards

You'll need to smooth parts out and do some cleanup etc it makes it easier to see what you're doing if you hit tools>display settings>double

basically unhide the outer shell and you're left with a hollowed tool;)

Otherwise you can 'push' a low res version in maya with inverted normals inside the high res exterior to create the same result but with less polys

Good luck
    R