Home » Community » General Discussion » IP rights?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
IP rights? [message #48789] Wed, 23 May 2012 05:27 UTC Go to next message
avatar pdb  is currently offline pdb
Go to all my models
At what point does your model become your intellectual property?

how can you prove this? (date on model file, first upload) or do you need to register it with some sort of governing body?

Regards
Piers

boop
Re: IP rights? [message #48790 is a reply to message #48789 ] Wed, 23 May 2012 06:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
pdb wrote on Wed, 23 May 2012 05:27

At what point does your model become your intellectual property?

I don't quite understand your question. Are you talking about a file uploaded to Shapeways, or just in general?

If you have an original idea, then it's your IP, but you need appropriate documentation (dated) to be able to prove that fact.

If you and another person arrive at the same idea independently, then the 'ownership' of the IP would have to be resolved based upon who documented it first.

Also.. file dates can be forged. You'll need a documentation method that can stand up in court.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: IP rights? [message #48791 is a reply to message #48789 ] Wed, 23 May 2012 06:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Generally, for unprotected IP rights, the date is the date of first publication. For protected rights, you'll need to file the design through whichever governing body deals with IP in your country.

Re: IP rights? [message #48801 is a reply to message #48789 ] Wed, 23 May 2012 10:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
thanks guys

found my governing body here:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/d-needreg.htm

i tried to call them but they are 'unable to take my call for unforeseen circumstances'

not quite sure what that means.

if i find out anything interesting ill post again

cheers

boop
Re: IP rights? [message #48813 is a reply to message #48801 ] Wed, 23 May 2012 17:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar BillBedford  is currently offline BillBedford
Go to my shop
The first thing you have to ask yourself is 'How much am I willing to spend in defending my IP'? If the answer is less than a few thousand $ then forget about IP and just rely on your superior design skills to keep ahead of the market.

Bill Bedford
Re: IP rights? [message #48830 is a reply to message #48789 ] Wed, 23 May 2012 23:37 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
good point

though i think its a good idea to understand how registration and basic IP works.

boop

Previous Topic:What's the best 3D software?
Next Topic:Beer Key Fashion Pendant

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.