My Cappuccino Cup

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by opresco, May 16, 2012.

1. opresco
    opresco Member
  2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    For ceramics right? You want to round those sharp corners. Sharp corners don't like to hold glaze

3. opresco
    opresco Member
    They're already rounded up (filleted) .
    This is my first try @ceramics :blush:
    1. What fillet (mm) would you recommend for this particular piece?
    2. Do you think the debossed "CAPPUCCINO" text will show on the finished printed ceramic piece; or, will be filled up with the glaze and disappear as shown in the Shapeways' generated picture on the item's page?
    Thanks.

4. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
    Tip #5: Joining faces should have a radius of 2.0 mm
    A rule of thumb is can you snugly fit a 4mm (diamter) ball bearing into the corner of your piece? If there's a gap between the corner and the ball bearing, then it is too sharp. Sharp corners are likely to crack when heated.

Good luck! :D

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    From the design rules it should be at least 2mm, but I seam to remember being told 3mm. As you can see on that page, I don't think your text will survive well. I'm trying to figure out now why your 2D render shows no text, but your 3D shows text on both sides.

6. opresco
    opresco Member
    SW12TestRenderer_01.jpg
    Rendered in SolidWorks12 PhotoView360

Yes, please figure that out and let me know; the debossed text shows pretty neat in Shapeways' Java Renderer.

7. opresco
    opresco Member
    Thanks! I will re-fillet (2mm) all edges and corners.

8. opresco
    opresco Member
    MyCappuccinoCup.gif

My Cappuccino Cup
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/573327/

Here's the corrected model; all corners & edges are rounded-up - inside and out - with a 2mm radius.

Thanks everybody for their input.