Home » Community » It arrived! » Stainless Steel pushed to limit
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Stainless Steel pushed to limit [message #48457] Tue, 15 May 2012 16:47 UTC Go to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
I was recently commissioned to produce a pendant for a clothing company and came up with the below. I had it printed in stainless steel and (inadvertantly!) pushed the limits of s/steel printing regarding the text areas... Sorry, but I didn't take a before picture; the pendant arrived with all kinds of what seemed to be organic "bits" jammed into the lettering which I had to dig out with a superfine needle point, and then I polished the front and back with a Dremel.

While I certainly wouldn't deliberately design the lettering this size again I'm quite happy that it printed almost 100% correctly. The pendant is 2" in height.

Glenn

index.php?t=getfile&id=16919&private=0

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Stainless Steel pushed to limit [message #48466 is a reply to message #48457 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 17:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
That's Nice! What's the story behind it.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Stainless Steel pushed to limit [message #48473 is a reply to message #48457 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 18:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Thanks, Stonysmith.... You can read all about the story behind it here... http://anthemsanchors.com/my-story/

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Stainless Steel pushed to limit [message #48486 is a reply to message #48457 ] Tue, 15 May 2012 21:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar GlenG  is currently offline GlenG
Go to all my models
The "organic bits" are in fact corn cob tumbling media. This is granulated corn cob treated, with jewelers rouge and used for producing the final hi polish. This media has a tendency to become trapped in tight places. Yes, it is a booger to remove, but there really is no substitute in production finishing methods. Sewing needles or a fresh #10 Exacto blade are favored for removal of this stuff.
-G

"Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci

Previous Topic:3x3 cm Pendants in Silver and FUD
Next Topic:Nested Silver Polyhedra

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.