Home » Support » 3D Design » Precision? Careful gear ratios, small and medium size.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Precision? Careful gear ratios, small and medium size. [message #48229] Fri, 11 May 2012 01:53 UTC Go to next message
avatar guru  is currently offline guru
Go to all my models
Hey guys!
I'm designing a device in blender. I make a living 3d modelling, so it should be dead-on with accuracy. The device I'm making requires carefully measured gear ratios for good operation.

I was hoping to create not only gears but other odd-shaped parts and then have them printed here.

My big questions are: are the materials as strong as this sort of need would require? And is the printing accurate?

I'll be doing my first order soon, so let me know of any "gotchas" I might need to know about, possible problems, and so forth.

Thanks!
Re: Precision? Careful gear ratios, small and medium size. [message #48240 is a reply to message #48229 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 06:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stop4stuff  is currently offline stop4stuff
Go to my shop
The strength and accuracy of the material depends on the chosen material and what size you're planning. And gear ratios will depend on the number of teeth per gear and diameter of the gear.

WSF is strong at larger dimensions, e.g. 24 tooth LEGO compatible gear - The accuracy is good too.

Stainless is much stronger, but is not too good on accuracy

FUD is super accurate, but is not so strong.

As for odd shaped parts, they're not a problem Smile

Paul
Re: Precision? Careful gear ratios, small and medium size. [message #48243 is a reply to message #48229 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 06:57 UTC Go to previous message
avatar guru  is currently offline guru
Go to all my models
Thats great, thanks! I should be able to work with that size, just being mindful of what you've mentioned. That Lego gear is awesome by the way!

Previous Topic:Tutorial - how to watertighten almost anything (loses detail)
Next Topic:Poseable joints?