Low Poly Escher Lizard

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by mygadgetlife, May 9, 2012.

1. mygadgetlife
    mygadgetlife Well-Known Member
    Hi all,

Well, these arrived late last week.

This model let me do two things; it let me sample the other Strong and Flexible colours as well as the white I'm already familiar with, and also the... well the repeatability of the 3d printing process.

The simple design made no concessions towards the material, that is, the model on the computer tessellates perfectly, and I was interested to see how it would work in the real world.

The pieces fit together pretty well... actually really well and it's quite cool to see them together :)

I had the idea this might work as a pendant if printed in SS... but I'm having difficulty designing in a large enough loop to take a cord or chain without destroying the tessellation properties.

There is a tiny loop on the rear but it's <1.5mm so too small to be practical... back to the drawing board I guess...

Photo 08-05-2012 22 14 52.jpg

Photo 08-05-2012 22 17 00.jpg

2. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Awesome!

Instead of a loop, perhaps make a hole sideways through one of the extremities (e.g. head) to thread a necklace through?

[edit] do the hole right and it could represent eyes without the necklace :cool:

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  3. mygadgetlife
    Thanks stonysmith,

Yep I think you're onto something - I can create a few holes (and push the limits for SS printing at the same time!), maybe increase the depth of the model - as a pendant it's not so essential that it lies flat on a surface.

I'm keen to see if the SS maintains compatibility with the S&F models... watch this space!

4. CharGyse
    CharGyse Member
    Cool :)

I agree with the holes-as-eyes idea.

5. emielrombach
    emielrombach Member
  6. lensman
    lensman Well-Known Member
    @mygadgetlife - If you're talking about mixing the SF's with the stainless steel I think you'll find there will be size differences and they likely won't fit together well.

Glenn

7. mygadgetlife
    Glenn,

Yes I appreciate what you're saying and that the materials might not share the same final dimensions down to the differing manufacturing processes... but I'm intrigued by the possibilities and if it takes a little trial error, then that's part of the fun I suppose. :)

@emielrombach, yes Escher is good inspiration for many creators on Shapeways - my little lizard suited my skill level (ie basic), the software (Sketchup) and budget!

I'd be interested to see what you have, but the link you put in isn't working... try going into Edit mode on your model, then check the 'Show to Public' box (or whatever it's called... I don't recall the exact wording...) then update.

8. Wahtah
    Wahtah Well-Known Member
    Stop4stuff was kidding with the eye holes right? I mean nice without the chain, but pretty gruesome with a chain through the eyes...

I would go for the bigger hand that already looks like it's holding something, so it would hang like the purple one in the picture.

9. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    @Wahtah - I hadn't thought of it like that, & now you mention it, yes, gruesome indeed. Your idea is much neater :)

10. mygadgetlife
    Thanks for all the feedback guys :)

@Wahtah - yes this was one idea... looking at it again it wouldn't be too hard...

...but I've come up with an alternative :confused , already in production, should have it in a couple of weeks, will probably need refining but hey ho...

Watch this space...

11. 88898_deleted
    88898_deleted Member
    Awesome! I've always loved those Escher lizards.
    It would be amazing in the new colored ceramics, if you can get the tolerances correct. Lizard coasters that form one big lizard trivet?

12. mygadgetlife
    Great idea Mary!

I would need to flatten it a bit, smooth out the corners, bevel the edges...

Oh wait... here's one I made earlier... :)

What do you guys think? Would this print in ceramic?

Last edited: May 23, 2012