Changing the wall thickness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 5878_deleted, May 4, 2012.

1. 5878_deleted
    5878_deleted Member
    Hello,
    I've been trying to get a pendant made for about a week now, and I've been running into the issue of the model being rejected on the basis of the wall being too thin, but I'm not sure what that means or how to correct it. The model wasn't built by me as a model, it was a b&w image of my design, uploaded via an easy creator which, in turn, extrudes it out. The Shapeways rep I've been working with was able to send me the STL, but wasn't able to tell me what to do to fix it. Or am I off the mark here, and repairing means making an adjustment to my 2d design?

Help, anyone. It would be much appreciated.

2. EddieAdolf
    EddieAdolf Member
    What material are you trying to get it made out of? Each material has a different wall thickness. There's a chance that the model you have is set for, say .7mm, which is the minimum for WSF. But if you want it printed in Stainless, the minimum is 3mm. Or you have your scale wrong and when you upload it, Shapeways freaks and says, Hey this is WAY too small to ever print.

If it's just an extrusion lik you say, it should be very easy to fix.

3. 5878_deleted
    5878_deleted Member
    Hey thanks for replying.

I'm tring to print silver. So, if I understand you correctly, wall thickness refers to extrude depth? So I could open the STL file in whichever 3D application that supports it, scale along z a bit, re-export, and upload back to Shapeways? I don't understand why the creator doesn't a depth that's workable to begin with. Strange.

Anyway, thanks again for your help

4. skatersollie
    skatersollie Member
    Here is the link to the design rules for silver..you should read it..<a href="https://www.shapeways.com/design-rules/silver" target="_blank"></a>...It maybe that you have hollow elements in your design..Silver has the lowest thickness requirements...so it maybe that you maybe that your design is hollow...uploading a picture maybe helpful..